The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

John McCain and melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community John McCain and melanoma

Participant

I just read that Senator McCain's gioblastoma newly diagnosed is related to his previous melanomas going back to 2000.  Really scary!  I hate thinking that the mole on my shoulder that was removed last year could potentially pop up as brain cancer in a decade or so.   This disease scares the snot out of me.  My first year post-cancer was full of denial.  So far this second year is more anxious and frightening for me.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        A
        Participant

Glioblastoma cannot be related to melanoma. This is a completely different type of cancer .

jenny22
          Participant

I too wanted to respond to htis to alleviate fears.  His cancer is not metastaic diesase from Melanoma, it is a completely new, separate and primary brain cancer, called Glioblastoma.  One has nothing to do with the other….

Still very sad…but not metastatic disease after all his melanomas!!!!!

JC
            Participant

Could different types of cancers be linked with regard to genes?

A
                Participant

For some cancers caused by specific genetic mutations, yes. This is, however, not the case.

liberty04281
                Participant
                  Glioblastoma, the brain cancer that McCain was diagnosed with is not related to melanoma. It I’d different type of cancer.
                  casagrayson
                  Participant

The only way I think they might be connected would be the Agent Orange exposure.  I'm thinking that might have affected his immune system and left him more vulnerable to all types of cancer.  Just speculation on my part.

flicklisa
                      Participant
                        The brain is something melanoma can cause brain cancer…when I was diagnosed with stage 3b I had to have a brain CT…so i believe melanoma could have been a contributing factor in his brain. Cancer diagnosis
                      cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

This is a scientific abstract discussing the possible link between melanoma and gliomas. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111084/

The article is from 2014, so it makes me wonder what changes immunotherapies will bring about, or even what new information may have surfaced since then.

cancersnewnormal
                          Participant

Just to clarify that link above…. there is some correlation, but without a definitive cause identified. Further research is necessary.  My guess would be that there is a higher chance of melanoma metastasis to the brain, than developement of glioblastoma. On a more upbeat thought…… the survival rates for both cancers are much better than just a few years ago, and are increasing with additional research. 

momsmole
                          Participant

Thank you all for the replies and information.  The up to date knowledge here is very reassuring.

PAbarb
                              Participant
                                Hello. There is a gene that is related to both Melanoma and glioblastoma. It is the POT1 gene. He may have very well had this and so each day we are learning more. @askthepa. I have this gene variant so it’s one day at a time. Live life to the fullest. Hugs to us all
                          Viewing 6 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics