The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Jim is going to the Doctor!

Forums General Melanoma Community Jim is going to the Doctor!

Participant

Hi everyone, Just a note to let those of you who follow our story…Jim has finally accepted to go to the Doctor….We are with the VA and it had been like 15 months since he had been.  It is like starting all over…said they could see him on Dec 23rd….Well, our best advocate that lives close to us (daughter-in-law )got involved…He has an appointment Monday at 10:00am.  He needs to be on some kind of pain management.  I know we have gone to Stage IV, as he lumps and bumps everywhere, bruising like stuff all over, mostly stomach right now….and deep pain in the groin.&nb

Hi everyone, Just a note to let those of you who follow our story…Jim has finally accepted to go to the Doctor….We are with the VA and it had been like 15 months since he had been.  It is like starting all over…said they could see him on Dec 23rd….Well, our best advocate that lives close to us (daughter-in-law )got involved…He has an appointment Monday at 10:00am.  He needs to be on some kind of pain management.  I know we have gone to Stage IV, as he lumps and bumps everywhere, bruising like stuff all over, mostly stomach right now….and deep pain in the groin.  He has only worked 5 days in September…and so far 1 day in October.  It hurts, to stand, walk, or sit….so he reclines most of the time…..He had 4 very good years, with nothing being done no, WLE or SNB, just his natural stuff, but it has progressed, and now FINALLY he realizes he needs some pain management.  It was very hard for him to say he will go….and my goodness….Monday, it not here yet.  So hoping he will really go when it gets time on Monday. 

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        JenC
        Participant

I'm so glad to hear this.  Hopefully the doctors can help your husband be more comfortable.

JenC

JenC
          Participant

I'm so glad to hear this.  Hopefully the doctors can help your husband be more comfortable.

JenC

Linda/Kentucky
            Participant

So glad he has decided to at least see what they say.  Hopefully they can give him something for pain management even if he chooses nothing else.  It must have been so very hard for you to watch him and not be able to help.  Hope Monday goes well for both of you.  I will be thinking about you.

Linda/Kentucky

Linda/Kentucky
              Participant

So glad he has decided to at least see what they say.  Hopefully they can give him something for pain management even if he chooses nothing else.  It must have been so very hard for you to watch him and not be able to help.  Hope Monday goes well for both of you.  I will be thinking about you.

Linda/Kentucky

Janner
                Participant

One step at a time, Sherron.  Sorry to hear he is in so much pain, but glad he might be willing to address the issues now.

Keep us updated!

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

One step at a time, Sherron.  Sorry to hear he is in so much pain, but glad he might be willing to address the issues now.

Keep us updated!

Janner

killmel
                    Participant

Hi Sherron,

Any chance that he will accept treatment now that he is in so much pain??? SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY to hear a doctor will see him fast!

killmel
                      Participant

Hi Sherron,

Any chance that he will accept treatment now that he is in so much pain??? SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY to hear a doctor will see him fast!

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Congratulations Jim. 

I hate pain and discomfort.  That's what got me to my Oncological surgeon when even the Pet scan said no SUV uptake.  My surgeon removed the lump causing the discomfort and that's when they found progression going on and started me on a, then unique treatment that has kept me stable for the last 18 months without pain (from Melanoma).  Good luck to you and Sherron.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Congratulations Jim. 

I hate pain and discomfort.  That's what got me to my Oncological surgeon when even the Pet scan said no SUV uptake.  My surgeon removed the lump causing the discomfort and that's when they found progression going on and started me on a, then unique treatment that has kept me stable for the last 18 months without pain (from Melanoma).  Good luck to you and Sherron.

JuleFL
                            Participant

Best wishes.  Glad Jim was able to get an earlier appointment.  Will be thinking about you on Monday.

Jule (Cal's wife)

JuleFL
                              Participant

Best wishes.  Glad Jim was able to get an earlier appointment.  Will be thinking about you on Monday.

Jule (Cal's wife)

joy_
                                Participant

You must be so relieved that he is going.  It is so hard seeing our loved ones in pain.  🙁  Prayers that it can be successfully managed and that he will be receptive to what they can offer as well and strength and peace for you.

Best,

Tracy

wife to Bill stage IIIc

joy_
                                  Participant

You must be so relieved that he is going.  It is so hard seeing our loved ones in pain.  🙁  Prayers that it can be successfully managed and that he will be receptive to what they can offer as well and strength and peace for you.

Best,

Tracy

wife to Bill stage IIIc

lovingwifedeb
                                    Participant

Sherron,

You have been such a brave soldier standing by your husband's side since I started reading your stories when I joined this discussion board. I admire your courage and strength as a caregiver and a wife to Jim who also has a certain belief system and path of his own choosing. It must of been so hard to stand by and watch him suffer, I'm sure the stress was high on both sides. Bless the daughter for talking sense to the doctor's office… idiots! I hope after Monday's appointment at the very least Jim will accept the medicine to end his pain. No matter what decision he makes he doesn't deserve to suffer. He has been very strong in his belief system and I also know it's been hard on you to sit back and watch it enfold.

I too will be in your position as caregiver watching a husband's decision of no chemical treatment. My husband has decided to "eat" himself into health. We have totally changed our diets, our cooking and buying habits to accommodate this new adventure called the "Mediterranean diet", at his doctor's recommendation. After I had my husband read your story I had him promise me one thing and that was IF he ever went to stage IV in the future that we would re-evaluate TOGETHER what treatment would be best for him. He agreed, at least for now and that was all I could ask of him. In December he gets his first scans and checks since surgery (July)… it will be a stressfull Christmas, I hate the waiting…

We all choose our own paths, make our own destinys. There is no right or wrong here. My heart goes out to both of you. I will watch for your updates.

Deb

lovingwife, to Bob stage 3c

lovingwifedeb
                                      Participant

Sherron,

You have been such a brave soldier standing by your husband's side since I started reading your stories when I joined this discussion board. I admire your courage and strength as a caregiver and a wife to Jim who also has a certain belief system and path of his own choosing. It must of been so hard to stand by and watch him suffer, I'm sure the stress was high on both sides. Bless the daughter for talking sense to the doctor's office… idiots! I hope after Monday's appointment at the very least Jim will accept the medicine to end his pain. No matter what decision he makes he doesn't deserve to suffer. He has been very strong in his belief system and I also know it's been hard on you to sit back and watch it enfold.

I too will be in your position as caregiver watching a husband's decision of no chemical treatment. My husband has decided to "eat" himself into health. We have totally changed our diets, our cooking and buying habits to accommodate this new adventure called the "Mediterranean diet", at his doctor's recommendation. After I had my husband read your story I had him promise me one thing and that was IF he ever went to stage IV in the future that we would re-evaluate TOGETHER what treatment would be best for him. He agreed, at least for now and that was all I could ask of him. In December he gets his first scans and checks since surgery (July)… it will be a stressfull Christmas, I hate the waiting…

We all choose our own paths, make our own destinys. There is no right or wrong here. My heart goes out to both of you. I will watch for your updates.

Deb

lovingwife, to Bob stage 3c

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics