The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Jim – 11/30/2010

Forums General Melanoma Community Jim – 11/30/2010

Participant

Hi to everyone,

I do not post often anymore…But I still find myself here everyday…..Jim got his wings on Nov 30, 2010…nearly 3 years out.  I am still not doing real well.  It is hard to live alone.  Our anniversary would be Dec. 4th (45 years).  I am rather stuck…and can't seem to move on.  I live from day to day….work, sleep, to work, to sleep.  My daughter did get me a little dog this past April….She is small, and has helped a little.  Not sure how much longer I will work.  I probably need to go until 75 or so…I am 67 1/2…lost Jim at 64…I guess any age is too young to pass from this Beast.

Wishing you all the very best, and will be happy when I can quit coming to this site, and start living my life again.  I don't know how.  I don't know if anyone remembers me or not.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim (Forever & Always)

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Maureen038
        Participant

Hi Sherron, of course I remember you and I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. My husband, Bill and I talked to you and Jim on the phone before hospice. Jim was so kind to my husband and wanted to help him more than talking about his own situation. It must be incredibly difficult to live without your dear husband, but you are doing the right thing by staying busy. Have you join a support group? Feel free to write me and I would love to catch up with you. Be kind to yourself. You have been through so much!

love,

maureen

Sherron
            Participant

Maureen,You may have confused with someone else.  Jim would have nothing to do the MPIP…research or anything.  He did completely natural and alternative and did very well for 4 1/2 years and then bam…His was Nodular and vascular at the onset.  You can read his  profile under Sherron.

Thank you for commenting.  It still hurts so much.  I do not like the holidays anymore.  Everything is colored by sadness.  I do hope it gets better.

Best Wishes to you and Bill,

Sherron , wife to Jim (Always and Forever)

Sherron
              Participant

Maureen,You may have confused with someone else.  Jim would have nothing to do the MPIP…research or anything.  He did completely natural and alternative and did very well for 4 1/2 years and then bam…His was Nodular and vascular at the onset.  You can read his  profile under Sherron.

Thank you for commenting.  It still hurts so much.  I do not like the holidays anymore.  Everything is colored by sadness.  I do hope it gets better.

Sherron
                Participant

Sherron
                  Participant

Sherron
                    Participant

Maureen038
                      Participant

I'm so sorry Sherron. I was confused with Sharmon and Brent. I am still very very sorry for your pain. My husband has stage 4 melanoma and I know the agony with that so I would imagine your pain is very unbearable. I will keep you in my prayers so you will continue to find strength and courage in your life. 

Love,

Maureen 

Maureen038
                        Participant

I'm so sorry Sherron. I was confused with Sharmon and Brent. I am still very very sorry for your pain. My husband has stage 4 melanoma and I know the agony with that so I would imagine your pain is very unbearable. I will keep you in my prayers so you will continue to find strength and courage in your life. 

Love,

Maureen 

Maureen038
                          Participant

Love,

Maureen 

Sherron
                            Participant

Maureen038
                            Participant

Hi Sherron, of course I remember you and I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. My husband, Bill and I talked to you and Jim on the phone before hospice. Jim was so kind to my husband and wanted to help him more than talking about his own situation. It must be incredibly difficult to live without your dear husband, but you are doing the right thing by staying busy. Have you join a support group? Feel free to write me and I would love to catch up with you. Be kind to yourself. You have been through so much!

love,

maureen

Maureen038
                              Participant

love,

maureen

Swanee
                                Participant

Hi Sherron,

Yes, I do remember you and I remember your journey  well, as caregiver to your soul mate and  husband Jim, who was a strong and brave warrior, who fought his battle his way.  I remember well, how he refused any standard treatment and wanted to fight his battle on his own terms.  I learned a lot from you and Jim and I also learned it takes a very strong person to make those kind of choices and to be accepting of life.  I myself have chosen less treatment and more thinking "outside the box" and feel very challenged by this approach but it has served me well and reaffirms how we must all take charge of our own choices and health decisions, no looking back for nothing is right or wrong….only a choice and regardless of the outcome, the choice has to be made.

I am sorry you continue to suffer, but also know with great love comes great sadness.  There is no standard or length of time to mourn a loved ones loss, just like our battle against melanoma.  We will all have different paths and choose accordingly,  based on our own concerns, thoughts and needs  and our overall quality of life issues, no right or wrong answers to worry about.  

Shortly after joining, I learned of your struggles and followed you through all your posts.  I mourned the loss of Jim, someone I've never met and my heart ached for you, and I ache some more, to know you are struggling just as much today with your loss.  Perhaps though, you are finding your way through this difficult stretch and soon to discover that Jim is still by your side, walking and growing with you, in just a different light. I pray that you are about to turn the corner from this very painful and lonely time.  I wish we could avoid heartache and pain in life but we learn and grow so much during these times, looking back we see how it helped to reveal a silver lining or a rainbow, waiting for us at the crossroads in life.

I think it would please Jim to know you are taking care of yourself and staying strong in the love that you shared and honoring him every day by living in the present,   If it was you looking down on your Jim, you would want him to be happy and living each day to the fullest, and every moment with thanksgiving, for the beautiful life you two shared.  This is especially a difficult time of year for those missing their loved ones, either through death, incarceration, military or other. If it would help, bring out your favorite gifts from past christmas, anniversaries or special pictures of your favorite  times together. Buy yourself a present from Jim, and have someone wrap it for you and open on Christmas…buy Jim a gift and wrap it up and donate it!  Celebrate Jim and the life you shared, honor him everyday with love that you give to others….keep giving in honor of Jim!  Glad you posted, always love hearing from you and others who posted so regularly with your journey through the melanoma battlefield, we have all learned so much from each other.

Be good to yourself and patient with life, you are in the midst of a great storm and smoother waters will surely return.  Blessings!

Swanee

Swanee
                                  Participant

Hi Sherron,

Yes, I do remember you and I remember your journey  well, as caregiver to your soul mate and  husband Jim, who was a strong and brave warrior, who fought his battle his way.  I remember well, how he refused any standard treatment and wanted to fight his battle on his own terms.  I learned a lot from you and Jim and I also learned it takes a very strong person to make those kind of choices and to be accepting of life.  I myself have chosen less treatment and more thinking "outside the box" and feel very challenged by this approach but it has served me well and reaffirms how we must all take charge of our own choices and health decisions, no looking back for nothing is right or wrong….only a choice and regardless of the outcome, the choice has to be made.

I am sorry you continue to suffer, but also know with great love comes great sadness.  There is no standard or length of time to mourn a loved ones loss, just like our battle against melanoma.  We will all have different paths and choose accordingly,  based on our own concerns, thoughts and needs  and our overall quality of life issues, no right or wrong answers to worry about.  

Shortly after joining, I learned of your struggles and followed you through all your posts.  I mourned the loss of Jim, someone I've never met and my heart ached for you, and I ache some more, to know you are struggling just as much today with your loss.  Perhaps though, you are finding your way through this difficult stretch and soon to discover that Jim is still by your side, walking and growing with you, in just a different light. I pray that you are about to turn the corner from this very painful and lonely time.  I wish we could avoid heartache and pain in life but we learn and grow so much during these times, looking back we see how it helped to reveal a silver lining or a rainbow, waiting for us at the crossroads in life.

I think it would please Jim to know you are taking care of yourself and staying strong in the love that you shared and honoring him every day by living in the present,   If it was you looking down on your Jim, you would want him to be happy and living each day to the fullest, and every moment with thanksgiving, for the beautiful life you two shared.  This is especially a difficult time of year for those missing their loved ones, either through death, incarceration, military or other. If it would help, bring out your favorite gifts from past christmas, anniversaries or special pictures of your favorite  times together. Buy yourself a present from Jim, and have someone wrap it for you and open on Christmas…buy Jim a gift and wrap it up and donate it!  Celebrate Jim and the life you shared, honor him everyday with love that you give to others….keep giving in honor of Jim!  Glad you posted, always love hearing from you and others who posted so regularly with your journey through the melanoma battlefield, we have all learned so much from each other.

Be good to yourself and patient with life, you are in the midst of a great storm and smoother waters will surely return.  Blessings!

Swanee

Sherron
                                      Participant

Swanee, what a beautiful post.  You made me cry, but a good cry, to know someone still cares about our journey.  I do have some good days….I think this time of the year and it's so close , it makes it particularly hard.  I will be with my daughter, her children, and her in-laws on Thanksgiving Day…so that will be nice.

I have found a book "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young that has helped me a great deal.  And I have given 15 of those book to others that I thought could use the encouragement.  I feel it helps me heal my heart a little bit.

I have no close friends…Jim and I were the best friends…so this has caused a problem…and I knew it would one day for one of us.  I am going to have to reach out, because I need friends so badly.  I go to Church, but people I  have know for years, do not seem to see the need in my eyes…They think I am fine, and I am dying inside…Church is hard, because Jim was right there beside me.  I know he is in my heart.  and I have beautiful memories, but it is so difficult.

Thank you for reaching out.  You helped me Swanee!

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim (Always and Forever)

Sherron
                                        Participant

Swanee, what a beautiful post.  You made me cry, but a good cry, to know someone still cares about our journey.  I do have some good days….I think this time of the year and it's so close , it makes it particularly hard.  I will be with my daughter, her children, and her in-laws on Thanksgiving Day…so that will be nice.

I have found a book "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young that has helped me a great deal.  And I have given 15 of those book to others that I thought could use the encouragement.  I feel it helps me heal my heart a little bit.

I have no close friends…Jim and I were the best friends…so this has caused a problem…and I knew it would one day for one of us.  I am going to have to reach out, because I need friends so badly.  I go to Church, but people I  have know for years, do not seem to see the need in my eyes…They think I am fine, and I am dying inside…Church is hard, because Jim was right there beside me.  I know he is in my heart.  and I have beautiful memories, but it is so difficult.

Take Care,

Swanee
                                          Participant

I can completely empathize with your situation and the loss you have endured.  My husband is truly my best friend and soul mate, we communicate  without ever using words, just because we know each other that well,  I cannot fathom life without him,  I would have a very difficult time of it too!

I think you're doing all the right things and there is not much more you or anyone else can do to get you through this seemingly endless painful time….except time.  All the best advice will not heal your broken heart, it will heal on it's own, in due time, not completely but just enough that life can go on for you in a new way.  Please feel free to contact me and if the website will not allow, just let me know on the BB and I will respond as I regularly read.  You are and have been in my thoughts as so many here who have gone on before us.  I was involved in your journey…I cared about you and Jim.  Your story is important to me and others, as it continues to unfold!  Keep sharing!  

Swanee

Swanee
                                            Participant

I can completely empathize with your situation and the loss you have endured.  My husband is truly my best friend and soul mate, we communicate  without ever using words, just because we know each other that well,  I cannot fathom life without him,  I would have a very difficult time of it too!

I think you're doing all the right things and there is not much more you or anyone else can do to get you through this seemingly endless painful time….except time.  All the best advice will not heal your broken heart, it will heal on it's own, in due time, not completely but just enough that life can go on for you in a new way.  Please feel free to contact me and if the website will not allow, just let me know on the BB and I will respond as I regularly read.  You are and have been in my thoughts as so many here who have gone on before us.  I was involved in your journey…I cared about you and Jim.  Your story is important to me and others, as it continues to unfold!  Keep sharing!  

Swanee

Swanee
                                              Participant

Swanee

Sherron
                                                Participant

Take Care,

POW
                                                  Participant

Sherron, thank you for posting and for continuing to share your journey with us. I am sorry to hear that you are still grieving so strongly. But as Swanee said, when we love strongly we grieve strongly– it's sort of the price we pay for having had such a wonderful relationship for so many years. 

I think that Swanee's post was beautiful, insightful and very helpful to all of us, especially as the holiday season approaches. I could not add a thing to what she said. But I do have one small tip that I would like to share with you.

Over the months since my brother passed, my grief did lessen and I was able to resume my normal life. The one thing that bothered me most was that every time I thought of my brother, I thought of him during his final illness– especially during the last month or so of his struggle. Very sad anad negative thoughts. I read a number of grief counseling articles and visited a grief counselor for a while (which was very helpful) and they all said that eventually I would remember all the good and happy times with my brother and start to feel better. Well, that didn't seem to be happening with me– I was stuck in the bad days.

So what I did was to approach people who knew my brother for various lengths of time and in various contexts and ask them to tell me a favorite memory they had of my brother. Tell me a funny story or a "typical Mike" story or recollect one of his erudite discussions about history. Every story they told not only pleased me but each one helped to bring to the forefront of my mind a similar favorite story of my own about Mike.

So now, more often than not, when I think about my brother I think about good things and about how he brightened the lives of so many people. Obviously, this is not a 100% cure for grief– I still get sad sometimes– but now when I start to feel sad I deliberately call to mind one of the good stories I heard or remembered and the sadness eases somewhat.

I hope that this technique helps you to bring your happy memories to the surface, too. I agree that Jim would want nothing more than to know that you are having a happy life even if you do continue to miss him every day. 

POW
                                                    Participant

Sherron, thank you for posting and for continuing to share your journey with us. I am sorry to hear that you are still grieving so strongly. But as Swanee said, when we love strongly we grieve strongly– it's sort of the price we pay for having had such a wonderful relationship for so many years. 

I think that Swanee's post was beautiful, insightful and very helpful to all of us, especially as the holiday season approaches. I could not add a thing to what she said. But I do have one small tip that I would like to share with you.

Over the months since my brother passed, my grief did lessen and I was able to resume my normal life. The one thing that bothered me most was that every time I thought of my brother, I thought of him during his final illness– especially during the last month or so of his struggle. Very sad anad negative thoughts. I read a number of grief counseling articles and visited a grief counselor for a while (which was very helpful) and they all said that eventually I would remember all the good and happy times with my brother and start to feel better. Well, that didn't seem to be happening with me– I was stuck in the bad days.

So what I did was to approach people who knew my brother for various lengths of time and in various contexts and ask them to tell me a favorite memory they had of my brother. Tell me a funny story or a "typical Mike" story or recollect one of his erudite discussions about history. Every story they told not only pleased me but each one helped to bring to the forefront of my mind a similar favorite story of my own about Mike.

So now, more often than not, when I think about my brother I think about good things and about how he brightened the lives of so many people. Obviously, this is not a 100% cure for grief– I still get sad sometimes– but now when I start to feel sad I deliberately call to mind one of the good stories I heard or remembered and the sadness eases somewhat.

I hope that this technique helps you to bring your happy memories to the surface, too. I agree that Jim would want nothing more than to know that you are having a happy life even if you do continue to miss him every day. 

Swanee
                                                      Participant

Thanks POW for reaching out to Sherron.  I remember your loss well too and how hard you fought for your brother and then your broken heart!   I am so glad you continue to guide people who come to this site with your experiences and knowledge and it is a real gift to all of us.  You continue to honor your brother everyday by helping us through the melanoma battlefield with your insightful and thoughtful words of knowledge and inspiration!  

Blessings to you and others who continue to help and guide the scared and bewildered souls who come to this site daily searching for answers.

Swanee 

Swanee
                                                        Participant

Thanks POW for reaching out to Sherron.  I remember your loss well too and how hard you fought for your brother and then your broken heart!   I am so glad you continue to guide people who come to this site with your experiences and knowledge and it is a real gift to all of us.  You continue to honor your brother everyday by helping us through the melanoma battlefield with your insightful and thoughtful words of knowledge and inspiration!  

Blessings to you and others who continue to help and guide the scared and bewildered souls who come to this site daily searching for answers.

Swanee 

Swanee
                                                          Participant

Swanee 

POW
                                                            Participant

Thank you, Swanee, for your kind words and for your many warm and supportive posts on this forum. I always look forward to reading them. 

I suspect that some people may think that it is macabre for me to continue to participate on the forum even though my brother passed away. They may think that it is unhealthy to wallow in the grief and sad stories. And for a while after he died I couldn't look at the forum for just that reason.

But with time I found that I had become fond of many of the people here and wanted to try to help them. I have a PhD in biochemistry and 15 years of experience researching and teaching immunology. My husband was diagnosed with melanoma 15 years ago and my brother was dagnosed 18 months ago, so I have studied up a lot about melonoma over the years.

Because of this background, it is relatively easy for me to look up the scientific literature, understand the lingo and analyze the statistics. Furthermore, people have told me that I am very good at explaining complex concepts in clear language, so I try to do that here.

So I think that my main goal on the forum is to use my skills and experience to help melanoma patients and their families understand the biology of what is happening and understand the treatments that they have been offered so that they can ask good questions and make knowledgeable treatment decisions. And once in a while,  my experience as a caregiver and bereaved family member comes into play, too. 

As you say, I do think that my brother would be pleased with my efforts. He always appreciated and relied on my scientific expertise while he was sick and he would be happy to know that I am trying to help others that way.  Oh, and just to complete my biography, I am a female (Patricia). 

Swanee
                                                              Participant

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your response and sharing a bit about yourself!  I could tell by your posts, you are a very well informed person with an incredible knowledge of many melanoma treatments and ongoing clinical trials.  You are so sensitive with your answers and trustworthy advice and I am so thankful to have you on this website, you've helped so many people who are struggling with this disease. I would like to contact you personally after the Thanksgiving weekend as I would love to share with you my melanoma journey and I could certainly use a sounding board.  Thanks for your continued support!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Swanee (aka – Linda in Seattle)

Swanee
                                                                Participant

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for your response and sharing a bit about yourself!  I could tell by your posts, you are a very well informed person with an incredible knowledge of many melanoma treatments and ongoing clinical trials.  You are so sensitive with your answers and trustworthy advice and I am so thankful to have you on this website, you've helped so many people who are struggling with this disease. I would like to contact you personally after the Thanksgiving weekend as I would love to share with you my melanoma journey and I could certainly use a sounding board.  Thanks for your continued support!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Swanee
                                                                  Participant

Hi Patricia,

Happy Thanksgiving!

Maureen038
                                                                    Participant

I just wanted to thank you too Patricia for helping so much on this forum. You are one of the people who gives very sound advice. I think your brother would definitely be very proud of you! Please continue to do it and by the way I just had a gut feeling you had a scientific background. My husband also has a PHd in biochemistry, but doesn't research as much as me because its easier for him not to think about it so much. If you don't mind, I am going to email you a question i have on my husband's treatment. Thank you!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                      Participant

I just wanted to thank you too Patricia for helping so much on this forum. You are one of the people who gives very sound advice. I think your brother would definitely be very proud of you! Please continue to do it and by the way I just had a gut feeling you had a scientific background. My husband also has a PHd in biochemistry, but doesn't research as much as me because its easier for him not to think about it so much. If you don't mind, I am going to email you a question i have on my husband's treatment. Thank you!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                        Participant

Maureen

POW
                                                                          Participant

Thank you, Swanee, for your kind words and for your many warm and supportive posts on this forum. I always look forward to reading them. 

I suspect that some people may think that it is macabre for me to continue to participate on the forum even though my brother passed away. They may think that it is unhealthy to wallow in the grief and sad stories. And for a while after he died I couldn't look at the forum for just that reason.

But with time I found that I had become fond of many of the people here and wanted to try to help them. I have a PhD in biochemistry and 15 years of experience researching and teaching immunology. My husband was diagnosed with melanoma 15 years ago and my brother was dagnosed 18 months ago, so I have studied up a lot about melonoma over the years.

Because of this background, it is relatively easy for me to look up the scientific literature, understand the lingo and analyze the statistics. Furthermore, people have told me that I am very good at explaining complex concepts in clear language, so I try to do that here.

So I think that my main goal on the forum is to use my skills and experience to help melanoma patients and their families understand the biology of what is happening and understand the treatments that they have been offered so that they can ask good questions and make knowledgeable treatment decisions. And once in a while,  my experience as a caregiver and bereaved family member comes into play, too. 

As you say, I do think that my brother would be pleased with my efforts. He always appreciated and relied on my scientific expertise while he was sick and he would be happy to know that I am trying to help others that way.  Oh, and just to complete my biography, I am a female (Patricia). 

POW
                                                                            Participant

POW
                                                                              Participant

Swanee
                                                                              Participant

Hi Sherron,

Swanee

Cate
                                                                                Participant

Hi Sherron,  I do remember you and I am so sorry that you have to go through this.  Please don't take offense but sometimes it can help to have a professional help you deal with this process.  I know this first hand as I was devistated when my father died in May, 2010.  He was far to young and fit to have melanoma take his life.  I have had help in moving on (although, as you can see, here I am still on these pages) and I have taken some constructive, positive steps to get through my loss.  Please think about getting someone to help you through this.  Thinking of you….    Cate 

Cate
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Sherron,  I do remember you and I am so sorry that you have to go through this.  Please don't take offense but sometimes it can help to have a professional help you deal with this process.  I know this first hand as I was devistated when my father died in May, 2010.  He was far to young and fit to have melanoma take his life.  I have had help in moving on (although, as you can see, here I am still on these pages) and I have taken some constructive, positive steps to get through my loss.  Please think about getting someone to help you through this.  Thinking of you….    Cate 

Cate
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics