The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

JenC

Participant

Haven't heard from you in a while…How are things going?

Haven't heard from you in a while…How are things going?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        JenC
        Participant

Sherron,

Thanks for asking.  Things have been ok.  My husband finished 2 weeks of IL-2 and got scans just before Christmas that showed that the treatment was not working.  Some tumors shrank but most grew.  He has a lot of tumors in his throat and subq's on his face and shoulder, plus some small ones in his liver and lung.  He then went in for 2 weeks of radiation to his throat.  He finally just started ipi for compasisonate use.  He hasn't felt well for a long time and is not eating very well, but I'm most concerned about his morale.  He is so down and convinced that he will be gone within the year.  Doctors implied last August that statistically, if treatment doesn't work he may have 6-9 months.  I don't know if it is this or if it is just his overall fatigue of the cancer or maybe the lack of success of treatment after treatment, but it is hard to be positive.  We have had wonderful holidays and support of family and friends and feel blessed. He's working on some things on his "bucket list", and we've been able to have a lot of good times, but the overall mood isn't good.  I wish we could find something positive to find some hope.  I feel lucky to still have him next to me.  I think of you often and hope you have support and are able to take care of yourself.

JenC

Linda J
            Participant
              Jen,
              What a nightmare. I know how it feels to feel hopeless especially when not feeling 100%. Hopefully the ipi trial will work.
              Someone on this board once told me that hope lives in the darkest places.
              I wish you and your husband all the best, you will be in my prayers.
              Linda J
              Linda J
              Participant
                Jen,
                What a nightmare. I know how it feels to feel hopeless especially when not feeling 100%. Hopefully the ipi trial will work.
                Someone on this board once told me that hope lives in the darkest places.
                I wish you and your husband all the best, you will be in my prayers.
                Linda J
                Sherron
                Participant

Oh, Jen, I am sorry the IL-2 is not working.  Is he in a lot of pain?  Jim could not eat very much either.  He had a tumor on the left side of his face, the several along the neck in the back, and the huge cervical lymphnode behind his right ear, then on and on all down his body.. everywhere except the legs., but his main problem was it went to his intestines…He was so sick, yet still so optomistic, even the evening before he passed.  He was the ultimate optomist.  It is such a hard way to live.  I hope the ipi helps some.  I am glad you had a good holiday season with family.  Is he on an anti-depressant?   That might help some.  I think Jim stayed positive for me.  You are very lucky and forturnate to have him next to you.  Enjoy each and every day – make beautiful memories…I am having a hard time, and live hour to hour, and I am still working full-time.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                  Participant

Oh, Jen, I am sorry the IL-2 is not working.  Is he in a lot of pain?  Jim could not eat very much either.  He had a tumor on the left side of his face, the several along the neck in the back, and the huge cervical lymphnode behind his right ear, then on and on all down his body.. everywhere except the legs., but his main problem was it went to his intestines…He was so sick, yet still so optomistic, even the evening before he passed.  He was the ultimate optomist.  It is such a hard way to live.  I hope the ipi helps some.  I am glad you had a good holiday season with family.  Is he on an anti-depressant?   That might help some.  I think Jim stayed positive for me.  You are very lucky and forturnate to have him next to you.  Enjoy each and every day – make beautiful memories…I am having a hard time, and live hour to hour, and I am still working full-time.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

JenC
                  Participant

Sherron,

Thanks for asking.  Things have been ok.  My husband finished 2 weeks of IL-2 and got scans just before Christmas that showed that the treatment was not working.  Some tumors shrank but most grew.  He has a lot of tumors in his throat and subq's on his face and shoulder, plus some small ones in his liver and lung.  He then went in for 2 weeks of radiation to his throat.  He finally just started ipi for compasisonate use.  He hasn't felt well for a long time and is not eating very well, but I'm most concerned about his morale.  He is so down and convinced that he will be gone within the year.  Doctors implied last August that statistically, if treatment doesn't work he may have 6-9 months.  I don't know if it is this or if it is just his overall fatigue of the cancer or maybe the lack of success of treatment after treatment, but it is hard to be positive.  We have had wonderful holidays and support of family and friends and feel blessed. He's working on some things on his "bucket list", and we've been able to have a lot of good times, but the overall mood isn't good.  I wish we could find something positive to find some hope.  I feel lucky to still have him next to me.  I think of you often and hope you have support and are able to take care of yourself.

JenC

Lori C
                    Participant

Jen, I am sorry things are rough.

One thing I wished I had known about with Will is that there is nutritional support that is often offered – I didn't know how to keep his nutrition up well enough.  Sometimes you have to be in hospice care to take advantage of this but there must be ways around that.  It's not a solution but keeping your strength up is so vital as you go through these difficult treatments and battle the disease.

Prayers and best wishes that ipi does the trick.

Lori C
                      Participant

Jen, I am sorry things are rough.

One thing I wished I had known about with Will is that there is nutritional support that is often offered – I didn't know how to keep his nutrition up well enough.  Sometimes you have to be in hospice care to take advantage of this but there must be ways around that.  It's not a solution but keeping your strength up is so vital as you go through these difficult treatments and battle the disease.

Prayers and best wishes that ipi does the trick.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics