The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Janner-one more question!

Forums General Melanoma Community Janner-one more question!

Participant

Okay, Janner, I just need you to talk to me down a minute.

I really tried not to "research" after what you told me. However, I failed. Do you know anything about Nevoid Melanoma? I read that it often can be misdiagnosed as an Intraderman Nevus. You seem quite knowledgeable and was wondering if you knew anything about this rare type? I am really trying to trust my path report until I see my doctor next week but only having a shave biopsy concerns me!

Thanks again!

Okay, Janner, I just need you to talk to me down a minute.

I really tried not to "research" after what you told me. However, I failed. Do you know anything about Nevoid Melanoma? I read that it often can be misdiagnosed as an Intraderman Nevus. You seem quite knowledgeable and was wondering if you knew anything about this rare type? I am really trying to trust my path report until I see my doctor next week but only having a shave biopsy concerns me!

Thanks again!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

There is nothing to suggest "Nevoid melanoma".  Your cells show some atypia.  That would be worded totally differently if this were even close to melanoma.  Melanocytes are typically rated mild, moderate or severe.  THEN you have melanoma cells which are more atypical than severe.  I interpret your lesions cells as mild which is BENIGN.  They are totally localized to the center of the lesion.  If this were remotely related to melanoma, this report would not be worded as it it.  I've read tons of pathology reports over the years and this is not melanoma.

You are not doing yourself any favors by researching this more.  The shave is unfortunate IF THIS WERE MELANOMA.  It's not so the shave is of no consequence except it didn't remove the entire lesion.  Shave biopsies are really only a negative factor IF THE LESION IS MELANOMA… and IF THE SHAVE CUTS THROUGH THE MELANOMA DEPTH.  This is not the case here. 

Step away from the computer and researching something that doesn't require any further research.  You just need to get the rest of the lesion removed and move on.  Since you are now aware of melanoma, watch your moles for CHANGE.   Changing moles / skin lesions are the ones of higher concern.  None of them have to be cancerous, but they should be brought to your derm's attention.

Janner
          Participant

There is nothing to suggest "Nevoid melanoma".  Your cells show some atypia.  That would be worded totally differently if this were even close to melanoma.  Melanocytes are typically rated mild, moderate or severe.  THEN you have melanoma cells which are more atypical than severe.  I interpret your lesions cells as mild which is BENIGN.  They are totally localized to the center of the lesion.  If this were remotely related to melanoma, this report would not be worded as it it.  I've read tons of pathology reports over the years and this is not melanoma.

You are not doing yourself any favors by researching this more.  The shave is unfortunate IF THIS WERE MELANOMA.  It's not so the shave is of no consequence except it didn't remove the entire lesion.  Shave biopsies are really only a negative factor IF THE LESION IS MELANOMA… and IF THE SHAVE CUTS THROUGH THE MELANOMA DEPTH.  This is not the case here. 

Step away from the computer and researching something that doesn't require any further research.  You just need to get the rest of the lesion removed and move on.  Since you are now aware of melanoma, watch your moles for CHANGE.   Changing moles / skin lesions are the ones of higher concern.  None of them have to be cancerous, but they should be brought to your derm's attention.

Janner
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics