The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Janner – Curious about terminology you use

Forums General Melanoma Community Janner – Curious about terminology you use

Participant

Janner, someone like you that is/was Stage I many years ago, do you say "I have melanoma" or "I had melanoma" or "remission" or "NED" or "cured", etc…? How do you describe/explain it? I often get stuck when speaking trying to figure out what I really mean & what is accurate. . I have melanoma, I had melanoma, etc…?   I know in the big scheme of things this is relatively unimportant, but just wondering

Janner, someone like you that is/was Stage I many years ago, do you say "I have melanoma" or "I had melanoma" or "remission" or "NED" or "cured", etc…? How do you describe/explain it? I often get stuck when speaking trying to figure out what I really mean & what is accurate. . I have melanoma, I had melanoma, etc…?   I know in the big scheme of things this is relatively unimportant, but just wondering

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Mostly, it depends upon my audience.  Last night, I was talking to a cousin I see only rarely and I said "I've had melanoma".  Currently my Dad is stage IV melanoma so I can use that as an example if I really want to expand on the seriousness of it.  I never use "cured" or "remission", I do say "had" and "No Evidence of Disease". So many people think melanoma is just another cancer you can cut or freeze.  If I feel my audience needs to understand the seriousness, I will say that melanoma can kill and it can come back years after being removed surgically.  The younger (and more likely to tan) will get a more descriptive version, the older not so much unless I think they are really interested in understanding.  It's really not an easy subject to talk about with any clarity.  I've had 3 primaries but am over 11 years out from my last one.  Truthfully, I still think there's another melanoma primary in my future so I don't feel I'm done with it.  I HOPE I'm done with it in terms of worrying about advancing to a higher stage.

Sorry, this isn't the best answer, but it truthfully is one of those "it depends" subjects and my reply is totally based on my audience.  Quick response is I've had melanoma.  More detailed response talks about NED and how NED isn't "cured".

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Mostly, it depends upon my audience.  Last night, I was talking to a cousin I see only rarely and I said "I've had melanoma".  Currently my Dad is stage IV melanoma so I can use that as an example if I really want to expand on the seriousness of it.  I never use "cured" or "remission", I do say "had" and "No Evidence of Disease". So many people think melanoma is just another cancer you can cut or freeze.  If I feel my audience needs to understand the seriousness, I will say that melanoma can kill and it can come back years after being removed surgically.  The younger (and more likely to tan) will get a more descriptive version, the older not so much unless I think they are really interested in understanding.  It's really not an easy subject to talk about with any clarity.  I've had 3 primaries but am over 11 years out from my last one.  Truthfully, I still think there's another melanoma primary in my future so I don't feel I'm done with it.  I HOPE I'm done with it in terms of worrying about advancing to a higher stage.

Sorry, this isn't the best answer, but it truthfully is one of those "it depends" subjects and my reply is totally based on my audience.  Quick response is I've had melanoma.  More detailed response talks about NED and how NED isn't "cured".

Best wishes,

Janner

JC
              Participant

maybe just semantics, but what also can be confusing when talking to people is the notion of " it can come back years after being removed surgically" as you say. . . .is it really that it "comes back" or is it more it never really left and has been there the whole time after surgery dormant?

JC
                Participant

maybe just semantics, but what also can be confusing when talking to people is the notion of " it can come back years after being removed surgically" as you say. . . .is it really that it "comes back" or is it more it never really left and has been there the whole time after surgery dormant?

JC
                  Participant

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

JC
                    Participant

That's a fair answer.  It's interesting that some medical doctors actually use the term "cured" with early stage patients after surgery.  Why do you think there's another melanoma primary in your future?  Aren't the odds/statistics against that happening?

Janner
                        Participant

I have the p16 genetic defect for melanoma (CDKN2A).  It gave me a 76% lifetime risk of getting melanoma.  I'm at a much higher probability than most to have another primary.  I might be lucky and it never happens again, but it's easier for me to think it will and then I am always paying attention.

Most early stagers probably are "cured" after surgery.  Obviously, those that visit this site understand that might be a misnomer.  But the ones who aren't cured are definitely a vast minority compared to those that are.  Again, I prefer NED because I know something COULD happen at a later date.  It keeps me on my toes instead of giving me that false sense of security that it's gone forever.  I do NOT spend time worrying about it – I try to keep it in perspective.  But I am aware that the possibility exists that it could come back.

Janner

JC
                          Participant

Is that something (p16 genetic defect for melanoma) we should be tested for to know if our % risk of another primary is higher than the norm?

JC
                            Participant

Is that something (p16 genetic defect for melanoma) we should be tested for to know if our % risk of another primary is higher than the norm?

JC
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

No.  Only 2-4% of the melanoma population have this defect.  I was tested for it as part of a clinical trial for familial high risk melanoma.  The reason I was included was because of my 3 primaries.  (I'm adopted so my family history is unknown).  If I would have had a very strong family history (immediate family members in each generation with melanoma or pancreatic cancer), then that would have been another reason for inclusion.  So if you do not have an EXTREMELY strong family history of melanoma, then the CDKN2A p16 defect is probably not something to consider.

Janner
                                  Participant

No.  Only 2-4% of the melanoma population have this defect.  I was tested for it as part of a clinical trial for familial high risk melanoma.  The reason I was included was because of my 3 primaries.  (I'm adopted so my family history is unknown).  If I would have had a very strong family history (immediate family members in each generation with melanoma or pancreatic cancer), then that would have been another reason for inclusion.  So if you do not have an EXTREMELY strong family history of melanoma, then the CDKN2A p16 defect is probably not something to consider.

Webbie73
                                    Participant
                                      Does knowing you have the p16 mutation make a difference in your treatment or follow up? How many family members qualify as an extreme risk? I have a family history and worry about the next generations to come. Would it make a difference for them?

In answer to the original poster, I have found if I say to the general public that I HAD melanoma they immediately think “oh glad they removed it and you are fine.” If you are fine why do you go to the dermatologist so often? They just don’t understand melanoma at all. Heck I don’t even understand melanoma.

Webbie73
                                      Participant
                                        Does knowing you have the p16 mutation make a difference in your treatment or follow up? How many family members qualify as an extreme risk? I have a family history and worry about the next generations to come. Would it make a difference for them?

In answer to the original poster, I have found if I say to the general public that I HAD melanoma they immediately think “oh glad they removed it and you are fine.” If you are fine why do you go to the dermatologist so often? They just don’t understand melanoma at all. Heck I don’t even understand melanoma.

Janner
                                        Participant

My current followup is no different than anyone elses so for melanoma, it really makes no difference in knowing I had the p16 gene or not.  Truthfully, I did the study as a "give back to science" more than anything else.  I have no children so the results really meant nothing to me.  However, there is one glitch.  If you have the p16 mutation, you are also at an increased risk for other cancers – the second highest risk being pancreatic cancer.  Based on my particular mutation, I was given an 11% risk for pancreatic cancer.  The average person's risk is <1%.  Some variations of the p16 mutation may increase the risk for pancreatic cancer to 17%.  So, I originally went to a high risk pancreatic cancer clinic and spoke with their doc.  They wanted to do baseline scans.  Wanted bloodwork for their study, too, but my veins would not cooperate.  Anyway, I did a endoscopic ultrasound and MRI.  Ideally, I would have followup scans periodically.  But you try getting insurance to pay for a scan because you are positive for a genetic mutation.  First off, I'd prefer the insurance company not know I have this mutation.  And second, they won't pay for those type of scans.  Even for my first scan, the doctors used "unexplained weight loss" as the reason even though I had previously lost weight on purpose.  There are no real symptoms you can watch for with pancreatic cancer.  By the time you have symptoms, it is almost always very advanced.  So you either have to have a very generous insurance company or be able to fudge to get scans to watch for this type of cancer.  I don't do scans. 

As for the familial risk, at the time I did this study they were looking for families with at least one family member in three continuous generations.  Basically not looking for multiple siblings or an aunt or uncle to have it, but grandparent, parent, and you.  Either 3 straight generations or 3+ primaries.  That was quite a few years ago.  They may have refined their requirements by now.   It's a very small subset of people and there are other reasons why melanoma may run in families that is not directly related to a melanoma mutation.  Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome is probably the most obvious other example.  

Janner
                                          Participant

My current followup is no different than anyone elses so for melanoma, it really makes no difference in knowing I had the p16 gene or not.  Truthfully, I did the study as a "give back to science" more than anything else.  I have no children so the results really meant nothing to me.  However, there is one glitch.  If you have the p16 mutation, you are also at an increased risk for other cancers – the second highest risk being pancreatic cancer.  Based on my particular mutation, I was given an 11% risk for pancreatic cancer.  The average person's risk is <1%.  Some variations of the p16 mutation may increase the risk for pancreatic cancer to 17%.  So, I originally went to a high risk pancreatic cancer clinic and spoke with their doc.  They wanted to do baseline scans.  Wanted bloodwork for their study, too, but my veins would not cooperate.  Anyway, I did a endoscopic ultrasound and MRI.  Ideally, I would have followup scans periodically.  But you try getting insurance to pay for a scan because you are positive for a genetic mutation.  First off, I'd prefer the insurance company not know I have this mutation.  And second, they won't pay for those type of scans.  Even for my first scan, the doctors used "unexplained weight loss" as the reason even though I had previously lost weight on purpose.  There are no real symptoms you can watch for with pancreatic cancer.  By the time you have symptoms, it is almost always very advanced.  So you either have to have a very generous insurance company or be able to fudge to get scans to watch for this type of cancer.  I don't do scans. 

As for the familial risk, at the time I did this study they were looking for families with at least one family member in three continuous generations.  Basically not looking for multiple siblings or an aunt or uncle to have it, but grandparent, parent, and you.  Either 3 straight generations or 3+ primaries.  That was quite a few years ago.  They may have refined their requirements by now.   It's a very small subset of people and there are other reasons why melanoma may run in families that is not directly related to a melanoma mutation.  Dysplastic Nevus Syndrome is probably the most obvious other example.  

Janner
                                            Participant

Webbie73
                                              Participant

Janner
                                                Participant

Janner
                                                  Participant

I have the p16 genetic defect for melanoma (CDKN2A).  It gave me a 76% lifetime risk of getting melanoma.  I'm at a much higher probability than most to have another primary.  I might be lucky and it never happens again, but it's easier for me to think it will and then I am always paying attention.

Most early stagers probably are "cured" after surgery.  Obviously, those that visit this site understand that might be a misnomer.  But the ones who aren't cured are definitely a vast minority compared to those that are.  Again, I prefer NED because I know something COULD happen at a later date.  It keeps me on my toes instead of giving me that false sense of security that it's gone forever.  I do NOT spend time worrying about it – I try to keep it in perspective.  But I am aware that the possibility exists that it could come back.

Janner

Janner
                                                    Participant

Janner

JC
                                                    Participant

That's a fair answer.  It's interesting that some medical doctors actually use the term "cured" with early stage patients after surgery.  Why do you think there's another melanoma primary in your future?  Aren't the odds/statistics against that happening?

JC
                                                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics