The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Janner and all Stage 1 B’s can you help me?

Forums General Melanoma Community Janner and all Stage 1 B’s can you help me?

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

Hi,

I am 33 year old Canadian newly diagnosed Stage 1B, had my WLE and SLNB last month and while all the tissue and nodes were clear I still have some questions about original pathology.

Originally, I had a shave biopsy which was bisected; one pathologist reported 1 mm and other 1.45 not ulcerated Clark 3  (one patholgist said deeper levels of skin show involvement of deep and lateral resection margins which were not reviewed by other pathologist) Surgeon didnt seem concerned when I pointed this out. 

Hi,

I am 33 year old Canadian newly diagnosed Stage 1B, had my WLE and SLNB last month and while all the tissue and nodes were clear I still have some questions about original pathology.

Originally, I had a shave biopsy which was bisected; one pathologist reported 1 mm and other 1.45 not ulcerated Clark 3  (one patholgist said deeper levels of skin show involvement of deep and lateral resection margins which were not reviewed by other pathologist) Surgeon didnt seem concerned when I pointed this out. 

Since it was a shave biopsy I  expected depth to increase but onc surgeon told me there was absolutely no evidence of melanoma in wle tissue so depth remains 1.45 (seems like this never happens with shave biopsies, am I right). Surgeon said they throughly examine tissue with hundreds of slides and hence 3 week wait for results!! She said I should be reassured it didnt have any further melanoma in wle. But somehow I am not.

Histologic Type: Other – Lentiginous. Now is this the same as "lentigo maligna melanoma" because that is rare  associated with elderly/sun damaged and slow evolving which is not my case. Noticed it on posterior upper shoulder/arm in shower 6 months ago. It was brown and symmetrical ( glad I insisted I get it off soon!)

I have also read its difficult to decipher between lentigo maligna and lentigo maligna melanoma. Just seems funny because pics Ive seen online dont look anything at all like mine.

Mitosis is listed as 3 by one pathologist and >1mm2 by the other. Peripherl margins say both involved by invasive melanoma and involved by melanoma in situ. Even though I should be relatively pleased with my surgery outcome (though realize no guarantee) I am now wondering if I should ask for another pathologist to examine orginal tumor. Will it change my staging – probably not but I am so scared because 1.45 seems relatively risky. What is your opinion? Thanks and best wishes to you all.

Francesca

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics