The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Jackie have port installed tomorrow/Yervoy on Thursday or Friday

Forums General Melanoma Community Jackie have port installed tomorrow/Yervoy on Thursday or Friday

Participant

The same surgeon that removed Jackie's lymph nodes in August will be installing a port tomorrow. The port will be used for her weekly blood draws as well as the Yervoy infusions. Paperwork has been done with oncologist's office and specialty pharmacy to get the Yervoy delivered to our local cancer center. Yervoy has been requested for Thursday or Friday. Jackie will have the first Yervoy infusion Thursday or Friday if all goes well.

The same surgeon that removed Jackie's lymph nodes in August will be installing a port tomorrow. The port will be used for her weekly blood draws as well as the Yervoy infusions. Paperwork has been done with oncologist's office and specialty pharmacy to get the Yervoy delivered to our local cancer center. Yervoy has been requested for Thursday or Friday. Jackie will have the first Yervoy infusion Thursday or Friday if all goes well. We got a "treatment bible" from the oncologist's PA today, and have a much clearer idea of what to expect, who to call, what numbers to call etc. Her oncologist has treated melanoma before, and also has experience treating melanoma with Yervoy. Jackie also has an oncologist that has treated melanoma at the Mayo Clinic that we are working with who also is experienced treating melanoma with Yervoy.  We appreciate your feedback, your thoughts and your prayers as we take the next step in Jackie's battle with melanoma (left ring finger amputated, lymph nodes left armpit removed, lymph nodes metasteses recurred, PET scan shows melanoma in liver and lungs, liver biopsy postive for melanoma). 

Thanks,
      Bruce and Jackie

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        bruski1959
        Participant

Jackie was taken into surgery early, and the port was installed by 11:40 AM. By the time I saw her in recovery she was sitting up in bed drinking coffee and feeling no pain (the sedative was still wearing off). Then she ordered an English muffin with butter and grape jelly, and you guessed it, more coffee. It was all fixed just the way she likes it! πŸ™‚ After more coffe and some cranberry juice, and some more pain medication, Jackie was able to to recycle some coffee, get dressed, and get a wheelchair ride from Sara Jayne 1. Jackie's nurse was Sara Jane 2. Also have a daughter named Sarah Jane πŸ™‚ And on the way out, we stopped by for, you guessed it, a cup of coffee made by coffee Jeeves (yours truly). Now Jackie has to take a daily dose of rat poison (aka warfarin), a blood thinner, so the power port won't clot. She also has a new rubber wrist band to wear about the power port, and she has to carry a card in her wallet, and one on her keychain, with details about the power port.

I spoke to the specialty pharmacy this morning, and they have received the fax from the oncologist, and the oncologist office called yesterday afternoon after we left the oncologist's office. The speciality pharmacy is communicating with health insurance company to verify that the Yervoy is covered by our health insurance. Of course this is the same health insurance company that gave me the number to call the specialty insurance company. I was told that the specialy pharmacy didn't have any Yervoy in stock, and would have to order some. Seems the planets will need to line up for Jackie to start her treatment this week. We're supposed to get a call from the oncologist office tomorrow if Jackie will go for treatment Thursday or Friday. Otherwise it will probably have to wait until the week of February 6th, as I am in class in Schaumburg, IL next week, and will be commuting back/forth all week when the cancer center is open.

Jackie is supposed to see the surgeon in 7-10 days to have a look at the port.

Will let you know when we find out about when Jackie will have her first Yervoy treatment.

Thanks,
          Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
          Participant

Jackie was taken into surgery early, and the port was installed by 11:40 AM. By the time I saw her in recovery she was sitting up in bed drinking coffee and feeling no pain (the sedative was still wearing off). Then she ordered an English muffin with butter and grape jelly, and you guessed it, more coffee. It was all fixed just the way she likes it! πŸ™‚ After more coffe and some cranberry juice, and some more pain medication, Jackie was able to to recycle some coffee, get dressed, and get a wheelchair ride from Sara Jayne 1. Jackie's nurse was Sara Jane 2. Also have a daughter named Sarah Jane πŸ™‚ And on the way out, we stopped by for, you guessed it, a cup of coffee made by coffee Jeeves (yours truly). Now Jackie has to take a daily dose of rat poison (aka warfarin), a blood thinner, so the power port won't clot. She also has a new rubber wrist band to wear about the power port, and she has to carry a card in her wallet, and one on her keychain, with details about the power port.

I spoke to the specialty pharmacy this morning, and they have received the fax from the oncologist, and the oncologist office called yesterday afternoon after we left the oncologist's office. The speciality pharmacy is communicating with health insurance company to verify that the Yervoy is covered by our health insurance. Of course this is the same health insurance company that gave me the number to call the specialty insurance company. I was told that the specialy pharmacy didn't have any Yervoy in stock, and would have to order some. Seems the planets will need to line up for Jackie to start her treatment this week. We're supposed to get a call from the oncologist office tomorrow if Jackie will go for treatment Thursday or Friday. Otherwise it will probably have to wait until the week of February 6th, as I am in class in Schaumburg, IL next week, and will be commuting back/forth all week when the cancer center is open.

Will let you know when we find out about when Jackie will have her first Yervoy treatment.

Thanks,
            Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
            Participant

Thanks,
              Bruce and Jackie

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics