The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Jackie had her first Yervoy treatment today!

Forums General Melanoma Community Jackie had her first Yervoy treatment today!

Participant

The Yervoy was shipped via Fedex and arrived at the hospital this morning by 10:30 AM. Pastor's wife Virgie took Jackie for her appointment. They took an x-ray of her port, and they will do that before every infusion apparently. My class in Schaumburg, IL got out at noon, so I got to the cancer center a little after 1 PM, and was able to relieve Virgie. They gave Jackie benadryl and a couple of anti-nausea medications prior to the Yervoy, and then transfused the Yervoy for 90 minutes, following by a flush.

The Yervoy was shipped via Fedex and arrived at the hospital this morning by 10:30 AM. Pastor's wife Virgie took Jackie for her appointment. They took an x-ray of her port, and they will do that before every infusion apparently. My class in Schaumburg, IL got out at noon, so I got to the cancer center a little after 1 PM, and was able to relieve Virgie. They gave Jackie benadryl and a couple of anti-nausea medications prior to the Yervoy, and then transfused the Yervoy for 90 minutes, following by a flush. So we got Jackie home a little after 3 PM from her noon appointment. The benadryl made her sleepy, so she rested when we go home. So far there doesn't seem to have been any side effects, but we will keep an eye out for them.

Jackie's next infusion is scheduled for 2/24. Jackie goes back to the Cancer Center every Wednesday for blood tests.

We're glad to have have finally gotten Jackie started on the Yervoy treatment. We're praying that Jackie tolerates the treatment well, that the Yervoy slows down the melanoma, and shrinks the melanoma tumors.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

Bruce and Jackie

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        yoopergirl
        Participant

I wish her well. I had my second round of Yervoy on the 30th and the only side effect I am feeling is itching, it isn't always but it moves all over my body. I am still able to keep up with the fitness center and enjoy being out with family and friends. I am new to this board but am not new to Melanoma. It has spread to my lungs from my arm and hope that the Yervoy will work for the both of us. Will keep her in my prayers.

yoopergirl
          Participant

I wish her well. I had my second round of Yervoy on the 30th and the only side effect I am feeling is itching, it isn't always but it moves all over my body. I am still able to keep up with the fitness center and enjoy being out with family and friends. I am new to this board but am not new to Melanoma. It has spread to my lungs from my arm and hope that the Yervoy will work for the both of us. Will keep her in my prayers.

yoopergirl
            Participant

Maxximom
              Participant

Dear Bruce and Jackie..I am new to this forum and your post helped me a lot. I am going to have my first Ipi infusion this coming Thursday..so your post has given me some idea what to expect. I did not realize that they give Benarryl..I once took a benadryl capsule and slept for 2 days.. I was planning to drive myself back and forth the day of the infusion..maybe I need to check and see if Benadryl is standard proceedure here.Wishing Jackie the best.Joan

yoopergirl
                  Participant

I did not get any Benadryl , first time was given Tylenol but the second time nothing. Good luck with your infusion.

yoopergirl
                    Participant

I did not get any Benadryl , first time was given Tylenol but the second time nothing. Good luck with your infusion.

yoopergirl
                      Participant

Maxximom
                      Participant

Dear Bruce and Jackie..I am new to this forum and your post helped me a lot. I am going to have my first Ipi infusion this coming Thursday..so your post has given me some idea what to expect. I did not realize that they give Benarryl..I once took a benadryl capsule and slept for 2 days.. I was planning to drive myself back and forth the day of the infusion..maybe I need to check and see if Benadryl is standard proceedure here.Wishing Jackie the best.Joan

Maxximom
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hello Bruce and Jackie,

My husband has been on Ipi for almost a year now, after the initial 12 weeks he has been on maintenance and gets Ipi every 12 weeks.  He is on the high dose clinical trial with GM-CSF (10mg/kg).  The GM-CSF is an injection he get everyday at home for 14 days then 7 days off and start the cycle again.  He has never had benadryl before his treatments nor nausea meds.

He has had mostly itching, some rash and flushing and now his eyebrows turned white.  If you want to read more about him check out his profile.

Good luck with Ipi it is working for him and I hope it works well for Jackie and any others.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hello Bruce and Jackie,

My husband has been on Ipi for almost a year now, after the initial 12 weeks he has been on maintenance and gets Ipi every 12 weeks.  He is on the high dose clinical trial with GM-CSF (10mg/kg).  The GM-CSF is an injection he get everyday at home for 14 days then 7 days off and start the cycle again.  He has never had benadryl before his treatments nor nausea meds.

He has had mostly itching, some rash and flushing and now his eyebrows turned white.  If you want to read more about him check out his profile.

Good luck with Ipi it is working for him and I hope it works well for Jackie and any others.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hello Bruce and Jackie,

audgator
                                Participant

I finished my 4th ipi treatment Thursday. They never gave me anything else but I often take benedryl before bed because the itching wakes me up a couple times.

audgator
                                  Participant

I finished my 4th ipi treatment Thursday. They never gave me anything else but I often take benedryl before bed because the itching wakes me up a couple times.

audgator
                                    Participant

bruski1959
                                      Participant

I am so grateful that we have this board to encourage and educate each other. Seems that the pre-medications that Jackie receives is pretty much standard treatment at our cancer center. This is not necessarily the case with all people or centers that dispense Yervoy treatment. Jackie's not seeming to have any side effects besides more fatigue than usual.  The  2nd Yervoy infusion has been ordered, and will be delivered to the hospital on Wednesday. Jackie also her weekly blood draw through her port on Wednesay. Jackie's send Yervoy infusion is scheduled on Friday. We are starting to get some of the bills from surgeon, hospital, cancer center, and haven't even got our first Yervoy co-pay bill, but we know how much it is supposed to be. Just six weeks into the year and the annual deductible is satisfied, and the annual maximum out of pocket for Jackie has nearly been satisfied! Fortunately we have the maximum health care reimbursement withheld from my paycheck to pay for these out of pocket expenses.  Will get an update out after Jackie's 2nd Yervoy infusion. Hoping and praying that she doesn't have any side effects that are so severe that would cause her to discontinue the Yervoy.

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                        Participant

I am so grateful that we have this board to encourage and educate each other. Seems that the pre-medications that Jackie receives is pretty much standard treatment at our cancer center. This is not necessarily the case with all people or centers that dispense Yervoy treatment. Jackie's not seeming to have any side effects besides more fatigue than usual.  The  2nd Yervoy infusion has been ordered, and will be delivered to the hospital on Wednesday. Jackie also her weekly blood draw through her port on Wednesay. Jackie's send Yervoy infusion is scheduled on Friday. We are starting to get some of the bills from surgeon, hospital, cancer center, and haven't even got our first Yervoy co-pay bill, but we know how much it is supposed to be. Just six weeks into the year and the annual deductible is satisfied, and the annual maximum out of pocket for Jackie has nearly been satisfied! Fortunately we have the maximum health care reimbursement withheld from my paycheck to pay for these out of pocket expenses.  Will get an update out after Jackie's 2nd Yervoy infusion. Hoping and praying that she doesn't have any side effects that are so severe that would cause her to discontinue the Yervoy.

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                          Participant

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics