The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Jacki (aka jax2007gxp) -thinking about you!

Forums General Melanoma Community Jacki (aka jax2007gxp) -thinking about you!

Participant

Been thinking about  you. How did your appts go with the surgeon & Onc?

Mary

Been thinking about  you. How did your appts go with the surgeon & Onc?

Mary

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jax2007gxp
        Participant

Hi Mary,

Thanks for thinking about me!  Appointments went alright.  I've decided to go ahead with the high dose interferon. At stage IIIc resected, my only other option (other than do nothing) was an attempt at a trial where I would have a chance at Yervoy but no guarantees.  I weighed this pretty heavily and decided I'd rather avoid the side effects of Yervoy considering there may be no additional benefit at this time.  Plus, taking Yervoy now would limit some of my options later if I ever needed to consider "all the options".

Both the medical onc and the surgical onc do not think the new lump in my left groin (recent mel was on the right) is melanoma.  Surgeon thinks it is a cyst but wants me to pay attention to it and make sure it doesn't seem to be growing.  So, I'm still a little nervous about not knowing for sure, but do feel better about two doctors coming to the same conclusion.  Both said that if the mel is showing up on the left side, we have a big situation in front of us.

The second drain was removed and so far no lymphedema symptoms.  Yippee!  It is freeing to not have the drains, but it did take a couple of days now to feel comfortable that I wasn't going to have instant lymphedema  for having the drains removed.  Numbness in the thigh is still about the same, but the pain is significantly better this week.

I hope you are doing well. And thank you again for checking in on me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jacki

jax2007gxp
          Participant

Hi Mary,

Thanks for thinking about me!  Appointments went alright.  I've decided to go ahead with the high dose interferon. At stage IIIc resected, my only other option (other than do nothing) was an attempt at a trial where I would have a chance at Yervoy but no guarantees.  I weighed this pretty heavily and decided I'd rather avoid the side effects of Yervoy considering there may be no additional benefit at this time.  Plus, taking Yervoy now would limit some of my options later if I ever needed to consider "all the options".

Both the medical onc and the surgical onc do not think the new lump in my left groin (recent mel was on the right) is melanoma.  Surgeon thinks it is a cyst but wants me to pay attention to it and make sure it doesn't seem to be growing.  So, I'm still a little nervous about not knowing for sure, but do feel better about two doctors coming to the same conclusion.  Both said that if the mel is showing up on the left side, we have a big situation in front of us.

The second drain was removed and so far no lymphedema symptoms.  Yippee!  It is freeing to not have the drains, but it did take a couple of days now to feel comfortable that I wasn't going to have instant lymphedema  for having the drains removed.  Numbness in the thigh is still about the same, but the pain is significantly better this week.

Jacki

jax2007gxp
            Participant

Hi Mary,

Jacki

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics