The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IV Side Effect?

Forums General Melanoma Community IV Side Effect?

Participant

During December I had IV's put in 4 different times in my left hand/arm. Plus, some techinicians that didn't know how to do an IV and poked my vein in several different places on my arm. Now I notice there's 2 places where close to the surface veins feel hard. It doesn't hurt but I'm wondering if this is something my doctor should look at.?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kristi A.
        Participant

Mine was like that from when I was in the hospital telling the nurse my IV was leaking. She finally got me a new IV but I was left with a very hard vein like yours. It also was very bruised and painful. I showed it to my oncology nurse and she said it happens from time to time and to only be worried if it showed signs of an infection. So unless it's hot to the touch or red I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine is just now finally going back to normal and it's been almost 2 months. Hope yours gets better too.

Kristi A.
          Participant

Mine was like that from when I was in the hospital telling the nurse my IV was leaking. She finally got me a new IV but I was left with a very hard vein like yours. It also was very bruised and painful. I showed it to my oncology nurse and she said it happens from time to time and to only be worried if it showed signs of an infection. So unless it's hot to the touch or red I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine is just now finally going back to normal and it's been almost 2 months. Hope yours gets better too.

Kristi A.
            Participant

Aloha14
              Participant

Thanks for writing in Kristi. Mine isn't red or hot. I'm glad your vein went back to normal, hopefully mine will soon. 

Aloha14
                Participant

Thanks for writing in Kristi. Mine isn't red or hot. I'm glad your vein went back to normal, hopefully mine will soon. 

Aloha14
                  Participant

cancersnewnormal
                    Participant

Your veins can actually develop scar tissue. It'll leave a little hard spot. 

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics