The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

its summer allready here in Fl

Forums General Melanoma Community its summer allready here in Fl

Participant

The grass is green, the flowers are blooming. The humming birds are humming. I'm swimming in my pool every day.  All is well in WillyWorld. ๐Ÿ™‚

The grass is green, the flowers are blooming. The humming birds are humming. I'm swimming in my pool every day.  All is well in WillyWorld. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        TinaR
        Participant

I'm glad all is well in WillyWorld. Eh-RoxyWorld isn't quite as exciting- although I am opening pool today…hopefully I can do some of the pool & landscaping I've been putting off each year due to life and health issues-fingers crossed, but I'm not hopeful.   We've already gone 6 years with just a pool and icky concrete…what's one more ?

It's been two days with warm weather and I'm already looking forward to fall-ha! I hate to be sticky and humid/hot.

TinaR
          Participant

I'm glad all is well in WillyWorld. Eh-RoxyWorld isn't quite as exciting- although I am opening pool today…hopefully I can do some of the pool & landscaping I've been putting off each year due to life and health issues-fingers crossed, but I'm not hopeful.   We've already gone 6 years with just a pool and icky concrete…what's one more ?

It's been two days with warm weather and I'm already looking forward to fall-ha! I hate to be sticky and humid/hot.

Janner
            Participant

I've seen a report for snow here tomorrow morning.  Long wet and cold spring here.  I have tomatoes ready to go into the ground but I have to wait at least until the end of the week.  And even then, we're talking highs in the 60s.  We have a huge snowpack that's still got to come down.  If it gets hot quickly, we'll have flooding.  No pool to worry about here.  I envy your warm and sunny days right now except for the humidity.  Come summer when it's into the 100s, I'll probably be wishing for these cool spring days.

Cheers!

TinaR
                Participant

Oh, I love to have snow! It really does make the air seem clean – I imagine the cold  and freeze kills off all sorts of ick ( this comforts me-ha!) . I was tired of it when I had to take the dogs out…but now I want it back!  I am looking forward to the school vacation…free from homework, lessons, all the running and school functions. It's worth the hot for that, I guess.

Garden talk- yeah!!!!!   I can't wait for tomatoes. Are you growing Jersey Beefsteak tomatoes this year, Jan? New Jersey has the BEST tomatoes ๐Ÿ™‚ I like to grow the little cherry tomatoes in one of those square containers from The Gardner magazine…they seem to come in so much faster than the others…it's sooo long waiting until late summer for  larger tomatoes. I might be inspired to put a full garden in…raised though. Do you have one?  I want to have lots of zuchinni, cucumbers, yellow squash and lettuce. I have a pot of herbs every year. Planted and already cutting.  I'm putting in elephant ears this year  and ornamental grasses around the fence . If I can't get to the other landscaping these will provide a bit of privacy. I'm excited about  flowers, too. I love flowers…it's almost my favorite Lilac and Peony blooming season. I wish I had huge banks of blue and pink Hydrangea bushes…maybe one day I'll work on it.

Janner
                  Participant

No Jersey tomatoes here.  Can't say I've ever seen them.  I typically like to buy larger plants to get a head start.  I have some "better boy" brand ready to go in.  I'll buy some beefsteak varieties and several grape tomatoes.  The dog and I love to eat those right off the vine.  I do have two raised gardens.  I had one made from cinder blocks years ago, but rebuilt that and built another large garden last year.  I have soaker hoses for irrigation on a timer.  I had a great harvest last year and am looking to expand my choices this year.  I had to start over 3 times last year because of late snows that froze everything.  I'll probably do tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, hubbard squash (mom's fav) and maybe pumpkin.  I'm thinking to add some green beans this year if I can get a trellis added.  Anything else I'm missing?

I love ornamental grasses, except when I need to cut them down.  I am looking at ornamental bushes to screen the one raised garden.  Can't decide what I want to plant yet.  Choices, choices!

Bonnie Lea
                    Participant

I have to find a way to go out and pound sod.  (new lawn put in last year) doesnt seem quite like it is taking, still see the squares, and the varmits (dunno if raccoons or worse skunks, are turning up me turf.

Been raining so much.  No time to even think about putting my 'maters in.  Have not had any success at all in the past 3 years.  either too much rain,  not enough rain, no sun, or they are burnt.  (always happens when we are camping)  but will once again try growing the 'grape tomatoes' in a pot.  tulips still out, daffies not quite opened yet.

Got my CPAP machine today….. dorky or what, but I am looking forward to getting GOOOOOOD long resting sleep and not having headaches.  or scaring the nightshirt of me hubs.

No pool….but hey we got garden hose!  next year I think we will have a 'staycation' instead of going camping.  Just to once enjoy the house and deck without stressy folks.

Bonnie Lea
                      Participant

I have to find a way to go out and pound sod.  (new lawn put in last year) doesnt seem quite like it is taking, still see the squares, and the varmits (dunno if raccoons or worse skunks, are turning up me turf.

Been raining so much.  No time to even think about putting my 'maters in.  Have not had any success at all in the past 3 years.  either too much rain,  not enough rain, no sun, or they are burnt.  (always happens when we are camping)  but will once again try growing the 'grape tomatoes' in a pot.  tulips still out, daffies not quite opened yet.

Got my CPAP machine today….. dorky or what, but I am looking forward to getting GOOOOOOD long resting sleep and not having headaches.  or scaring the nightshirt of me hubs.

No pool….but hey we got garden hose!  next year I think we will have a 'staycation' instead of going camping.  Just to once enjoy the house and deck without stressy folks.

Janner
                        Participant

No Jersey tomatoes here.  Can't say I've ever seen them.  I typically like to buy larger plants to get a head start.  I have some "better boy" brand ready to go in.  I'll buy some beefsteak varieties and several grape tomatoes.  The dog and I love to eat those right off the vine.  I do have two raised gardens.  I had one made from cinder blocks years ago, but rebuilt that and built another large garden last year.  I have soaker hoses for irrigation on a timer.  I had a great harvest last year and am looking to expand my choices this year.  I had to start over 3 times last year because of late snows that froze everything.  I'll probably do tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, hubbard squash (mom's fav) and maybe pumpkin.  I'm thinking to add some green beans this year if I can get a trellis added.  Anything else I'm missing?

I love ornamental grasses, except when I need to cut them down.  I am looking at ornamental bushes to screen the one raised garden.  Can't decide what I want to plant yet.  Choices, choices!

TinaR
                          Participant

Oh, I love to have snow! It really does make the air seem clean – I imagine the cold  and freeze kills off all sorts of ick ( this comforts me-ha!) . I was tired of it when I had to take the dogs out…but now I want it back!  I am looking forward to the school vacation…free from homework, lessons, all the running and school functions. It's worth the hot for that, I guess.

Garden talk- yeah!!!!!   I can't wait for tomatoes. Are you growing Jersey Beefsteak tomatoes this year, Jan? New Jersey has the BEST tomatoes ๐Ÿ™‚ I like to grow the little cherry tomatoes in one of those square containers from The Gardner magazine…they seem to come in so much faster than the others…it's sooo long waiting until late summer for  larger tomatoes. I might be inspired to put a full garden in…raised though. Do you have one?  I want to have lots of zuchinni, cucumbers, yellow squash and lettuce. I have a pot of herbs every year. Planted and already cutting.  I'm putting in elephant ears this year  and ornamental grasses around the fence . If I can't get to the other landscaping these will provide a bit of privacy. I'm excited about  flowers, too. I love flowers…it's almost my favorite Lilac and Peony blooming season. I wish I had huge banks of blue and pink Hydrangea bushes…maybe one day I'll work on it.

Janner
                          Participant

I've seen a report for snow here tomorrow morning.  Long wet and cold spring here.  I have tomatoes ready to go into the ground but I have to wait at least until the end of the week.  And even then, we're talking highs in the 60s.  We have a huge snowpack that's still got to come down.  If it gets hot quickly, we'll have flooding.  No pool to worry about here.  I envy your warm and sunny days right now except for the humidity.  Come summer when it's into the 100s, I'll probably be wishing for these cool spring days.

Cheers!

Kimmer
                            Participant

It has been nice here in Lake Mary/Sanford too, Bill.  It will be great when our new little townhouse is completed and we can get out of this dreary corporate apartment.

Townhouse living…hmmm.  Pool cleaned for us, lawn mowed and all landscaping maintained.  I have no idea what we shall do with ourselves except spend more time on the bikes and out at the lakes.  We are just a half hour from the beach now.  (I bought a 6 pack of sunscreen the other day, remembering caution from a derm that perhaps we should move to Ireland instead of FL.)

We do have a small courtyard between the townhouse and the garage, so I can grow some flowers.  I hope we can persuade the neighbors to start a community garden.  I could live off of tomatoes and baby lettuce.  If the tough times hit, we can still eat well!  Perhaps we will live like a small tribe in our walled community.

Sometimes I can't believe we are doing this.  I hope we like it. 

Happy Spring EveryOne!

k.

Kimmer
                              Participant

It has been nice here in Lake Mary/Sanford too, Bill.  It will be great when our new little townhouse is completed and we can get out of this dreary corporate apartment.

Townhouse living…hmmm.  Pool cleaned for us, lawn mowed and all landscaping maintained.  I have no idea what we shall do with ourselves except spend more time on the bikes and out at the lakes.  We are just a half hour from the beach now.  (I bought a 6 pack of sunscreen the other day, remembering caution from a derm that perhaps we should move to Ireland instead of FL.)

We do have a small courtyard between the townhouse and the garage, so I can grow some flowers.  I hope we can persuade the neighbors to start a community garden.  I could live off of tomatoes and baby lettuce.  If the tough times hit, we can still eat well!  Perhaps we will live like a small tribe in our walled community.

Sometimes I can't believe we are doing this.  I hope we like it. 

Happy Spring EveryOne!

k.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics