The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Itchy lump on WLE scar 5 months post-op

Forums General Melanoma Community Itchy lump on WLE scar 5 months post-op

Participant

Hi there,

My surgeon told me I was cured of my melonoma, originally diagnosed in November 2014… stage 1B – middle right side of my back… WLE and SNLB (came back negative).  I've been going to my three month check ups and have had a few more biopsies that have came back negative.  

Just this last week, my WLE scar has developed quite a lump and is super itchy.  The scar is still a deep pink/purple and has always had a textured feeling.  The color hasn't changed, but you can see the lump area has expanded the color, marble size.  

Of course, I'm going to make an appt with my derm first thing on Monday – but I was just wondering about thoughts/ looking for support/ seeking experiences.  I'm a very positive person and am banking on this just being scar tissue that may be inflammed.  Has nyone here had a similar experience?  What was your outcome?  

Thanks for listening!

Jennifer

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It could also be an internal stitch being rejected.  Not that uncommon.  Call your doc but don't panic yet.

Janner
          Participant

It could also be an internal stitch being rejected.  Not that uncommon.  Call your doc but don't panic yet.

Janner
            Participant

MattF
              Participant

Jennifer

vould be a few things….i have had two of these

1 scar tissue….if it is round or hard i would think not scar tissue. mine was too round to be scar.

2 stitch underneath…i had this red inflamed…swollen

3 diseased node….if it is hard and round have it biopsied. my round node took me to stage 3 in 2013.

MattF
                Participant

Jennifer

1 scar tissue….if it is round or hard i would think not scar tissue. mine was too round to be scar.

3 diseased node….if it is hard and round have it biopsied. my round node took me to stage 3 in 2013.

MattF
                  Participant

Jennifer

Minnesota
                    Participant

I had the same thing happen. Of course you need to get it checked, but in my case, it was inflammation and scar tissue and it took steroid injections into the scar to get it to settle down.

Minnesota
                      Participant

I had the same thing happen. Of course you need to get it checked, but in my case, it was inflammation and scar tissue and it took steroid injections into the scar to get it to settle down.

Minnesota
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics