The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Itching before IPI/Nivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Itching before IPI/Nivo

Participant

My husband had surgery (lymph node tumor and one between liver and kidney) last week so at the moment he is NED.  We are waiting on pathology and some recovery from the surgery before we head down the path of IPI, ipi/Nivo or maybe just Nivo.   

So here is the wildcard, my husband has been itching for months.  He also has several patches of vitiligo.  Itching to the point of a precription antihistamine.  The day after his tumors were removed the itching stopped but by day four after surgery it has started up again although not nearly as bad. 

Anyone have itching caused by the melanoma?  Anyone else with pre-immunotherapy itching? What happens when you add in an immunotherapy that then causes itching?  How do you tell if the immunotherapy is working if there are no tumors and you are already have itching/vitiligo? 

Thanks,

Kathy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mrsaxde
        Participant

What does the doctor think the itching is coming from? I've never heard of itching caused by melanoma.

273c
            Participant

The docs are scratching their heads.  The dermatologist who saw him on day 2 when there was no itching said that sometimes when tumors (general, not specifically melanoma) are removed the itching resolves.  They seem to think it is an immune response, like an allergic reaction. 

273c
              Participant

The docs are scratching their heads.  The dermatologist who saw him on day 2 when there was no itching said that sometimes when tumors (general, not specifically melanoma) are removed the itching resolves.  They seem to think it is an immune response, like an allergic reaction. 

273c
                Participant

mrsaxde
                Participant

What does the doctor think the itching is coming from? I've never heard of itching caused by melanoma.

mrsaxde
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

Kathy,

Sorry for your husband's situation, but simulataneous congrats on being NED and developing vitiligo! A relatively rare group of folks with melanoma do mount their own immune response to melanoma and vitiligo can be a sign of that and is a good prognostic sign generally. I did not experience this phenomenon personally, but I did develop itching and vitilitgo with Nivo and often the location were the same….itching followed by vitiligo in that area.  And while we know that vitiligo is associated with a much better response…not all folks on immunotherapies develop rash or vitiligo yet still go on to do very well without that particular effect. Telling whether an NED person is having a response to immunotherapy (or any other therapy for that matter) is rather difficult. You can see my comment below on anon's thread about SNLD/adjuvant therapy. However, mounting an attack while you have the least disease burden possible makes sense to me. Wishing you and your husband my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                      Participant

Kathy,

Sorry for your husband's situation, but simulataneous congrats on being NED and developing vitiligo! A relatively rare group of folks with melanoma do mount their own immune response to melanoma and vitiligo can be a sign of that and is a good prognostic sign generally. I did not experience this phenomenon personally, but I did develop itching and vitilitgo with Nivo and often the location were the same….itching followed by vitiligo in that area.  And while we know that vitiligo is associated with a much better response…not all folks on immunotherapies develop rash or vitiligo yet still go on to do very well without that particular effect. Telling whether an NED person is having a response to immunotherapy (or any other therapy for that matter) is rather difficult. You can see my comment below on anon's thread about SNLD/adjuvant therapy. However, mounting an attack while you have the least disease burden possible makes sense to me. Wishing you and your husband my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                        Participant

Kathy,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics