The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

It is kind of hard for me to post and say that I

Forums General Melanoma Community It is kind of hard for me to post and say that I

Participant

am going in for surgery on Tuesday for Craniotomy #6.  Sometimes I feel like it must be scary for new people to know that might be in their future, and so I hope this post doesn't end up causing someone to stop researching information regarding their particular situation and drive you away from the MPIP.

am going in for surgery on Tuesday for Craniotomy #6.  Sometimes I feel like it must be scary for new people to know that might be in their future, and so I hope this post doesn't end up causing someone to stop researching information regarding their particular situation and drive you away from the MPIP.  There are plenty of people who have had 1 brain surgery and done very well,  In my case my brain is very radiation sensitive, and so it is either surgery or necrosis, luckily last time it was necrosis(from previous SRS)and I am hoping the same results come through this time.  It has been 2 years since I have had any evidence of disease, and it has been four since I was initially diagnosed with a brain tumor.   So, if you are a newbie-this isn't a common situation and this may not end up being your situation at all.  Things may well never comeback if you are stage II or III.  That has been the case with many people.  If they do, address one issue at a time, and go from there.  First I thought melanoma was a death sentence, then I thought stage IV was a death sentence, then brain metastases were a death sentence, and so far none of that has proven to be true.  Don't read into the statistics whatever you do.   New therapies are coming out faster than ever, and more and more trials are adding up to improved statistics overall.  I am going into surgery with a very optomistic attitude, saying my prayers and there really isn't much else I can do.  Sometimes life gets out of your hands, there are some things one can control and some that one cannot.  Either way, keep on planning for the future and enjoy yourself.  When I first got diagnosed, I used to search this site and see tons of people dying and it scared me so much that I avoided scans as much as possible (sometimes to my own detriment) so whatever you do, remember, scans are your friends.  Even if there is a bad result, the sooner you get working on it, the better your outcome will be.

Best, 

John

Viewing 41 reply threads
    • Replies
        Love_Monkey
        Participant

John, you are so sensitive and kind.  Thinking of you as you go in on Tuesday.

Love_Monkey
          Participant

John, you are so sensitive and kind.  Thinking of you as you go in on Tuesday.

akls
            Participant

John

I'm so sorry you have to go through another surgery.  Your posts are inspiring!  I hope if I have to face melanoma again I can do it in the same way that you have.  I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday.  I know it will all go well for you.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
              Participant

John

I'm so sorry you have to go through another surgery.  Your posts are inspiring!  I hope if I have to face melanoma again I can do it in the same way that you have.  I'll be thinking about you on Tuesday.  I know it will all go well for you.

Amy S. in Michigan

Linda J
                Participant

Thank you for your post – it was what I needed to hear today.  I wish you a successful sugery and a smooth recovery and long life filled with laughter and love.

Linda J
                  Participant

Thank you for your post – it was what I needed to hear today.  I wish you a successful sugery and a smooth recovery and long life filled with laughter and love.

JenM
                    Participant

Hi John,

As you are going thru so much, thank you for writing such a sensitive post for others.  I really needed to read your post today.  I have been feeling so scared ever since my brain mets were found in June (3 small ones: 4mm, 4mm and 8mm).  I had gamma knife in July and at first felt really good.  But there are days that I just feel these brain mets are just a death sentence.

I will be praying for you on Tues.  Hope that all goes well.

JenM
                      Participant

Hi John,

As you are going thru so much, thank you for writing such a sensitive post for others.  I really needed to read your post today.  I have been feeling so scared ever since my brain mets were found in June (3 small ones: 4mm, 4mm and 8mm).  I had gamma knife in July and at first felt really good.  But there are days that I just feel these brain mets are just a death sentence.

I will be praying for you on Tues.  Hope that all goes well.

James from Sydney
                        Participant

John, good luck with the Op. i am sure it will be like the last one. 

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                          Participant

John, good luck with the Op. i am sure it will be like the last one. 

best wishes

James

dian in spokane
                            Participant

Good luck John. I know many people will be thinking of you on Tuesday. Please drop us an update as soon as you  can.

dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                              Participant

Good luck John. I know many people will be thinking of you on Tuesday. Please drop us an update as soon as you  can.

dian in spokane

Rebecca and Bob
                                Participant

John,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have never met you, don't know you but you have always made me feel like everything will be okay. I hate the thought of you going through this and will send a ton or prayers for you that this is necrosis. I'm so very upset that you are going through this again.

God Bless you,

Rebecca and Bob

Rebecca and Bob
                                  Participant

John,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have never met you, don't know you but you have always made me feel like everything will be okay. I hate the thought of you going through this and will send a ton or prayers for you that this is necrosis. I'm so very upset that you are going through this again.

God Bless you,

Rebecca and Bob

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                    Participant

John,

I'll keep you in my thoughts.  What a great post. 

Jerry from Cape Cod

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                      Participant

John,

I'll keep you in my thoughts.  What a great post. 

Jerry from Cape Cod

lhaley
                                        Participant

John,

What an uplifting post while you are going through this. This site can be so scary as well helpful and your post was great for newbie's.

Will be thinking of you Tuesday,

Linda

lhaley
                                          Participant

John,

What an uplifting post while you are going through this. This site can be so scary as well helpful and your post was great for newbie's.

Will be thinking of you Tuesday,

Linda

BethA in VA
                                            Participant

Good luck with your surgery.  My prayers will go with you into surgery on Tuesday.  I wish you a speedy return to good health.  I'm amazed how cautious you were in telling your story (at a time which must be very stressful to you), so as not to scare newbies.  Your story will be one of the successes…and in a couple of weeks you can write about how good this surgery went.  Good thoughts. 

BethA in VA
                                              Participant

Good luck with your surgery.  My prayers will go with you into surgery on Tuesday.  I wish you a speedy return to good health.  I'm amazed how cautious you were in telling your story (at a time which must be very stressful to you), so as not to scare newbies.  Your story will be one of the successes…and in a couple of weeks you can write about how good this surgery went.  Good thoughts. 

ValinMtl
                                                Participant

John, my thoughts will be with you on Tuesday.  What a wonderful post…you are so right about the scans.  They scare us to death but best to know early.  Val

ValinMtl
                                                  Participant

John, my thoughts will be with you on Tuesday.  What a wonderful post…you are so right about the scans.  They scare us to death but best to know early.  Val

BonnieLea
                                                    Participant

Oh Dear John

My thoughts will be with you totallyy on Tuesday.  You have been such a great help to me regarding computer/just because stuff, and I will always appreciate that.

I fully expect you to be in control of the facilties soooooon and be able to pick up where you have had to leave off here.  Give your Merry and Big fat HUG from me. 

And also remember how your wee doggie now is your number one (or two) fan, and will soon be sharing lap space with you.

Take care and hope to get postings from Merry or even  (dare we hope) yourself.

Bonnie Leaheart

BonnieLea
                                                      Participant

Oh Dear John

My thoughts will be with you totallyy on Tuesday.  You have been such a great help to me regarding computer/just because stuff, and I will always appreciate that.

I fully expect you to be in control of the facilties soooooon and be able to pick up where you have had to leave off here.  Give your Merry and Big fat HUG from me. 

And also remember how your wee doggie now is your number one (or two) fan, and will soon be sharing lap space with you.

Take care and hope to get postings from Merry or even  (dare we hope) yourself.

Bonnie Leaheart

Lori C
                                                        Participant

John, your ability to think of others when you are facing your own surgery is very inspiring and humbling.  That is one of the things I appreciate most about this board – everyone here is dealing with their own challenges and yet regularly come together to help others. 

You are in my thoughts and prayers and may your surgery be a complete success.

Lori C
                                                          Participant

John, your ability to think of others when you are facing your own surgery is very inspiring and humbling.  That is one of the things I appreciate most about this board – everyone here is dealing with their own challenges and yet regularly come together to help others. 

You are in my thoughts and prayers and may your surgery be a complete success.

Jim M.
                                                            Participant

John,

You are so inspiring and what you say is absolutely true. God Bless you now and always.

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                              Participant

John,

You are so inspiring and what you say is absolutely true. God Bless you now and always.

Jim M.

lovingwifedeb
                                                                Participant

John,

I have to admit this "newbie" was a little bit shaken when I read your post Friday night. I wish you well fellow traveler. You were one of the first to come to the aid of my defense in my posts and in the searching of my husband's treatment plan in this frightening disease. Your words are comforting to me considering what you, yourself, must be feeling right now. You are a brave soul and I admire you for what you bring to others. If I can someday bring to this kind of energy into my environment especially to my husband then I will forever be humbled. 

Sending positive thoughts, and the color red (heart chakra) your way…

Deb

lovingwifedeb
                                                                  Participant

John,

I have to admit this "newbie" was a little bit shaken when I read your post Friday night. I wish you well fellow traveler. You were one of the first to come to the aid of my defense in my posts and in the searching of my husband's treatment plan in this frightening disease. Your words are comforting to me considering what you, yourself, must be feeling right now. You are a brave soul and I admire you for what you bring to others. If I can someday bring to this kind of energy into my environment especially to my husband then I will forever be humbled. 

Sending positive thoughts, and the color red (heart chakra) your way…

Deb

NicOz
                                                                    Participant

Hmph. I know that you're trying to catch up to me, given that you hate a girly beating you in anything, but you didn't have to go to these lengths, surely?!?! 

'Talk' to you when you get out, mate… I'll be thinking of you.

Love to both you and Merry and hope it's the walk in the park that we both know it can be!!

Nic

xxx

NicOz
                                                                      Participant

Hmph. I know that you're trying to catch up to me, given that you hate a girly beating you in anything, but you didn't have to go to these lengths, surely?!?! 

'Talk' to you when you get out, mate… I'll be thinking of you.

Love to both you and Merry and hope it's the walk in the park that we both know it can be!!

Nic

xxx

Father is stage IV
                                                                        Participant

Sending positive thoughts to you on Tuesday and for a quick recovery!

Krista–Father is stage IV

Father is stage IV
                                                                          Participant

Sending positive thoughts to you on Tuesday and for a quick recovery!

Krista–Father is stage IV

Rocklove
                                                                            Participant

What and inspiration John.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and family.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

Rocklove
                                                                              Participant

What and inspiration John.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to you and family.

Rocky (Stage IV Liver Mets)

BarbieGirl
                                                                                Participant

So sorry to hear this news, John, and sorry you're having to deal with this crap again.  You're in my prayers, guy.  I'll be looking for an update.  *Hugz*

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                                                                  Participant

So sorry to hear this news, John, and sorry you're having to deal with this crap again.  You're in my prayers, guy.  I'll be looking for an update.  *Hugz*

~Lisa~

LV
                                                                                    Participant

John, you never cease to surprise me! I'll be holding good thoughts for you, and looking forard to seeing you back here asap! You're one tough guy. And tell Merry we'll be thinking about her, too.

LV
                                                                                      Participant

John, you never cease to surprise me! I'll be holding good thoughts for you, and looking forard to seeing you back here asap! You're one tough guy. And tell Merry we'll be thinking about her, too.

Hey John

I want to thank you for the reality Check. Since my first and second posts and the replys left I now have taken the time to learn about this beast and have gotten some good advise from people like yourself. I hope all goes well tomorrow. I am heading to MD Anderson on Thursday and Have an APPT with Doctor Weber. The Tumor in my neck has grown now to the size of a lemon but from what I have read this is small compared to others. I hope I can help others in the journey into this as all of you have helped me get my head into the right place and take control.

Thanks and Godspeed

Mac Under the Knife

Hey John

I want to thank you for the reality Check. Since my first and second posts and the replys left I now have taken the time to learn about this beast and have gotten some good advise from people like yourself. I hope all goes well tomorrow. I am heading to MD Anderson on Thursday and Have an APPT with Doctor Weber. The Tumor in my neck has grown now to the size of a lemon but from what I have read this is small compared to others. I hope I can help others in the journey into this as all of you have helped me get my head into the right place and take control.

Thanks and Godspeed

Mac Under the Knife

Viewing 41 reply threads
                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics