The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is this melanoma or just a mole?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Is this melanoma or just a mole?

Participant

So as long as I can remember, I’ve always had this mole on my back. I’m not sure if I was born with it or it developed but I think I first noticed it when I was 7 or 8. I’m currently 18 today. I’ve had no problems but when I started looking into it, this mole is like no other. Maybe it isn’t even a mole. It hasn’t grown or that I know of, and it is the size of a pencil eraser. Should I be worried? It has some characteristics of melanoma, the asymmetric and weird edges but it hasn’t grown and does not look like any melanoma pictures I’ve found online. Here’s a picture for reference. https://ibb.co/fj1GqV .im not sure if I should be worried or not, it’s been there forever without any troubles.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        A
        Participant

It looks like nevus spilus to me: benign congenital nevus type. You could google it and see similar pictures. For your piece of mind, however, I would make an appointment with a dermatologist to confirm it. 

Toby0987
          Participant

My Mayo derm said “when in doubt, cut it out”. The only way to tell for sure that something is or isn’t melanoma is by a pathology report-cutting a mole is simple and painless. I didn’t even look at your picture -don’t need to-cut it and have it biopsied-I wish I would have done that with mine instead of going to “expert” local derms 

anthonyle45
              Participant

Thanks for your response, what did you mean by “don’t need to cut it and have it biopsied” I’m confused on what you’re saying?

Toby0987
                Participant

I don’t need to see the picture.   Have the mole cut and biopsied.

I meant the dash to be a pause in the last post

MelanomaMike
                Participant

Hi Anthony, best thing to do is see a Derm doc, he/she will guide you on what to do..youll be fine lil bro…

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics