The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is nausea post Yervoy treatment a common symptom?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is nausea post Yervoy treatment a common symptom?

Participant

Hi all,

Been a little while since I have posted, just thought I would give a quick update. I started Yervoy in July for a small liver met, about 5mm. I got through 3 treatments before experiencing severe headaches and low energy. Brain and Pituitary MRIs showed no evidence of disease, but docs thought the yervoy caused my system to attack pituitary and thyroid, so I was put on prednisone and thyroid medication. Turns out, thyroid levels and adrenal levels came back to normal after I stopped taking medication and I felt fine for a few weeks. 

Hi all,

Been a little while since I have posted, just thought I would give a quick update. I started Yervoy in July for a small liver met, about 5mm. I got through 3 treatments before experiencing severe headaches and low energy. Brain and Pituitary MRIs showed no evidence of disease, but docs thought the yervoy caused my system to attack pituitary and thyroid, so I was put on prednisone and thyroid medication. Turns out, thyroid levels and adrenal levels came back to normal after I stopped taking medication and I felt fine for a few weeks. 

Then, about a month ago, I began to feel quite nauseous almost on a daily basis. Some days worse than others. I called docs at Sloan and they didn't seem too concerned. It continues to linger however.

Has anyone else experienced fairly severe nausea after Yervoy? Just wondering if I should more concerned.

My lesion did not grow at all since it was originally detected, so at least that was good.

Thanks

Wetterhorn

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mombase
        Participant

I have had three infusions to date and have experienced no nausea. However, I was prescribed heavy duty anti-nausea medication to take PRN, so it must be an expected side effect. I haven't had to use any, though. There shouldn't be any need to suffer from nausea. I would ask the doc if you can be prescribed something to lessen or eliminate the symptoms.

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
          Participant

I have had three infusions to date and have experienced no nausea. However, I was prescribed heavy duty anti-nausea medication to take PRN, so it must be an expected side effect. I haven't had to use any, though. There shouldn't be any need to suffer from nausea. I would ask the doc if you can be prescribed something to lessen or eliminate the symptoms.

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
            Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

CLPrice31
              Participant

I'm also a Sloan patient! I have experienced a lot of nausea and HORRIBLE headaches. I am talking headaches that have made me feel dizzy, almost to the point of where I feel like I'm actually spinning. I've never had a migrane before this, but I guess that's what it feels like. I actually received my first rash 2 weeks ago.

Hope you start to feel better soon! Nausea is one of my least favorite things.

Wetterhorn
                  Participant

Thanks for the encouragement and agreed, Nausea sucks.

I'm going in on Monday for some blood work; and keeping fingers crossed, off to Costa Rica on Friday.

Wetterhorn

Wetterhorn
                    Participant

I'm going in on Monday for some blood work; and keeping fingers crossed, off to Costa Rica on Friday.

Wetterhorn

Wetterhorn
                      Participant

Wetterhorn

CLPrice31
                      Participant

I'm also a Sloan patient! I have experienced a lot of nausea and HORRIBLE headaches. I am talking headaches that have made me feel dizzy, almost to the point of where I feel like I'm actually spinning. I've never had a migrane before this, but I guess that's what it feels like. I actually received my first rash 2 weeks ago.

CLPrice31
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics