The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is is advisable to undergo a total knee replacement?

Forums General Melanoma Community Is is advisable to undergo a total knee replacement?

Participant

I was diagnosed with stage IIIA melanoma last September. I go in for CAT scans every 3 months and so far everything is no-evidence-of-disease. Before the melanome hit me, I had a bad knee, it's only gotten worse. Will having it replaced change the odds of melanoma recurrance?

Thank you

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

You have to live life!  I know of no reason not to have it done and many reasons why you should.  Only stage 1b here but I had both done at the same time. Two of my primary scars almost connect to the knee scars so nearby.  Melanoma wasn't even discussed.  That was ten years ago and I'm still stage 1b.  Talk to your onc if worried, but being in pain from a bum knee can be stressful and stress isn't a good thing. Stress can affect the immune system and melanoma is tied to the immune system.  (Was that a round-about enough way to say go for it!)

Janner
          Participant

You have to live life!  I know of no reason not to have it done and many reasons why you should.  Only stage 1b here but I had both done at the same time. Two of my primary scars almost connect to the knee scars so nearby.  Melanoma wasn't even discussed.  That was ten years ago and I'm still stage 1b.  Talk to your onc if worried, but being in pain from a bum knee can be stressful and stress isn't a good thing. Stress can affect the immune system and melanoma is tied to the immune system.  (Was that a round-about enough way to say go for it!)

Janner
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

I'm with Janner.  Live large.  If you need your knee repaired….go for it!!!  I can think of no medical reason that such surgery would adversely affect your situation regarding melanoma and lots of ways chronic pain and decreased mobility could adversely your life.  – celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

I'm with Janner.  Live large.  If you need your knee repaired….go for it!!!  I can think of no medical reason that such surgery would adversely affect your situation regarding melanoma and lots of ways chronic pain and decreased mobility could adversely your life.  – celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

stars
                    Participant

I can't see why it would have any impact at all on melanoma recurrence. It's  a pretty basic orthopedic thing to have a knee replaced, and it's going to really improve your mobility, quality and enjoyment of life. Go for it!

stars
                      Participant

I can't see why it would have any impact at all on melanoma recurrence. It's  a pretty basic orthopedic thing to have a knee replaced, and it's going to really improve your mobility, quality and enjoyment of life. Go for it!

stars
                        Participant

swissie
                          Participant

I had a knee operation on the same leg as my melanoma and lymph-dissection (I'm stage IIIb).

For me there was no option not to do an operation (I tore my ACL, PCL, MCL and meniscus). I was a bit scared of lymph oedema, so had some additional lymph massage and held my leg up on a regular basis.
                            Luckily it all worked out for me.

Good luck!

swissie
                            Participant

I had a knee operation on the same leg as my melanoma and lymph-dissection (I'm stage IIIb).

For me there was no option not to do an operation (I tore my ACL, PCL, MCL and meniscus). I was a bit scared of lymph oedema, so had some additional lymph massage and held my leg up on a regular basis.

Good luck!

swissie
                              Participant

Good luck!

Jewel
                                Participant

My husband was diagnosed with stage 3 in 2010, had a hip replacement in 2011. Moved to stage 4 in 2014. After IPI from Nov14/Jan15 he has been NED. The hip was the best decision we ever made. Life is hard enough without daily pain….go for it!.

Jewel

Jewel
                                  Participant

My husband was diagnosed with stage 3 in 2010, had a hip replacement in 2011. Moved to stage 4 in 2014. After IPI from Nov14/Jan15 he has been NED. The hip was the best decision we ever made. Life is hard enough without daily pain….go for it!.

Jewel

Jewel
                                    Participant

Jewel

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics