The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is Exercise Good for Melanoma Patients

Forums General Melanoma Community Is Exercise Good for Melanoma Patients

• Replies
      oocn
      Participant

Exercise, intense physical activity, has been crucial in managing any therapy related side effects of the pembro I've been taking.

Really as far as side effects go, and it's still relatively early in my treatment (x4 doses), fatigue seems to be the big one.

I try and make the gym at least 4 days a week, sometimes 5–or I'll swap that 5th day out with an outside winter activity. I certainly understand that not everyone on this forum is able to do so, or move as much and that maybe the side effects of surgery or therapy or even disease itself which limits.

Whenever I get down, or even worry about 'what could happen' I go for a run and it honestly helps to reset my thinking and that worry function.

But hey, that's just my two cents. Hopefully others find similar benefit.

oocn
        Participant

Exercise, intense physical activity, has been crucial in managing any therapy related side effects of the pembro I've been taking.

Really as far as side effects go, and it's still relatively early in my treatment (x4 doses), fatigue seems to be the big one.

I try and make the gym at least 4 days a week, sometimes 5–or I'll swap that 5th day out with an outside winter activity. I certainly understand that not everyone on this forum is able to do so, or move as much and that maybe the side effects of surgery or therapy or even disease itself which limits.

Whenever I get down, or even worry about 'what could happen' I go for a run and it honestly helps to reset my thinking and that worry function.

oocn
          Participant

Aloha14
            Participant

Exercise/working out at the gym was good for me especially the weeks when I was waiting for surgery and scared. I was exercising on a regular basis before my diagnosis, and started back up after my lower leg surgery healed. 

Aloha14
              Participant

Exercise/working out at the gym was good for me especially the weeks when I was waiting for surgery and scared. I was exercising on a regular basis before my diagnosis, and started back up after my lower leg surgery healed. 

Aloha14
                Participant

williez
                  Participant

Indispensable for me, my body and my mind!

I do as much as I can and try to improve continually and if I stumble with a stone on the way no matter I begin again as soon as I can

Guillermo (Buenos Aires, Argentina)

williez
                    Participant

I do as much as I can and try to improve continually and if I stumble with a stone on the way no matter I begin again as soon as I can

williez
                      Participant

BrianP
                        Participant

Check out this article from livestrong. 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/386072-elevated-white-blood-cells-after-exercise/

I saw it in action one time.  I had just given blood for entry into a clincal trial.  I and my doctor were shocked when my white blood cell count came back ridiculously low.  At the time I didn't know what had caused it but later I remembered that due to a canceled flight I was forced to drive all night and had only gotten a couple hours of sleep.  The count was so low it disqualified me for the trial.  The doctor said, "Here's what I want you to do.  I want you to go to the stairway and walk up and down them for about 15 minutes and then go back and have your blood retaken."  Sure enough I did the stair workout and the white blood cell count came back within limits for the trial.  I definitely think a good exercise plan should be a major part of any cancer fighters arsenal.

Brian

BrianP
                          Participant

http://www.livestrong.com/article/386072-elevated-white-blood-cells-after-exercise/

I saw it in action one time.  I had just given blood for entry into a clincal trial.  I and my doctor were shocked when my white blood cell count came back ridiculously low.  At the time I didn't know what had caused it but later I remembered that due to a canceled flight I was forced to drive all night and had only gotten a couple hours of sleep.  The count was so low it disqualified me for the trial.  The doctor said, "Here's what I want you to do.  I want you to go to the stairway and walk up and down them for about 15 minutes and then go back and have your blood retaken."  Sure enough I did the stair workout and the white blood cell count came back within limits for the trial.  I definitely think a good exercise plan should be a major part of any cancer fighters arsenal.

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Brian

Bubbles
                              Participant

We've had proof of the benefit of exercise for a looooooong time!  

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-in-2013jump-up-jump-aroundand.html

celeste

Bubbles
                                Participant

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2013/01/better-in-2013jump-up-jump-aroundand.html

celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

celeste

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics