The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Iritus as side effect to Tafinlar

Forums General Melanoma Community Iritus as side effect to Tafinlar

Participant

Hey there, my husband has been having great results on the braf combo trametinib/tafinlar – from his June PET to his late August CT, his lung tuomor shrunk by half, lymph nodes regressed and no new tumors in his lung. Yay!  Recently though his left ey has gone completely fuzzy, he can't see out of it.  After going to his opthamologist today he learned he as Iritus – evidently 1% of people have eye side effects.

He has been prescribed a steroid eye drop, we haven't heard from his oncologist yet if this will in anyway affect his tafinlar usage. We don't want to stop or stall using the combo – it is working.

Any similar findings out there??

Thanks, Rita

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        marta010
        Participant

Hi Rita – my husband has had several bouts with another type of eye inflamation – uveitis – while on tafinlar.  He has been successfully treated with steriod eye drops (Durezol) without interruption in his tafinlar treatment.  His opthamologist agrees that the uveitis is a side effect of the tafinlar and that we have a fine line to walk between treating the underlying disease and managing the side effects.  Sending prayers your way.

Ann

wasserd
            Participant
              I am on same combo and just diagnosed today with my third case of iritis in less than two months! The first time I was on dabrafenib only and the onset was much more severe. The past two times I have been on the combo and less painful, still super annoying. My ophthalmologist has me using prednisone eye drops but also keeping my pupil dilated by using dilating drops three times a day (cyclopentolate hydrochloride). He told me that if it persists, I may need to stay on a regimen of steroid drops twice a day, which eventually can lead to cataracts, but that this would obviously be preferable to going off the cancer meds! For the time being, my oncologist has ordered a two week hiatus from the cancer meds for me, which has helped manage side effects in the past. (It stays in the body for about ten days.)

I hope the condition improves soon!

Deborah

wasserd
              Participant
                I am on same combo and just diagnosed today with my third case of iritis in less than two months! The first time I was on dabrafenib only and the onset was much more severe. The past two times I have been on the combo and less painful, still super annoying. My ophthalmologist has me using prednisone eye drops but also keeping my pupil dilated by using dilating drops three times a day (cyclopentolate hydrochloride). He told me that if it persists, I may need to stay on a regimen of steroid drops twice a day, which eventually can lead to cataracts, but that this would obviously be preferable to going off the cancer meds! For the time being, my oncologist has ordered a two week hiatus from the cancer meds for me, which has helped manage side effects in the past. (It stays in the body for about ten days.)

Deborah

wasserd
                Participant

Deborah

marta010
                Participant

Hi Rita – my husband has had several bouts with another type of eye inflamation – uveitis – while on tafinlar.  He has been successfully treated with steriod eye drops (Durezol) without interruption in his tafinlar treatment.  His opthamologist agrees that the uveitis is a side effect of the tafinlar and that we have a fine line to walk between treating the underlying disease and managing the side effects.  Sending prayers your way.

Ann

marta010
                  Participant

Ann

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics