The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ippi (Yervoy) reinduction?

Forums General Melanoma Community Ippi (Yervoy) reinduction?

Participant

Hi everyone,

Hi everyone,

It has been some time since I last posted although I have been reading the posts to keep up with everyone.  My dad's last treatment with Yervoy was in November 2011 and he had a bad reaction after his last dose.  He was hospitalized for about a week for low sodium and he lost control of his speech and movements.  The oncologist said it was a reaction from Yervoy that caused swelling in his brain and he was treated with steriods.  In April/May 2012 he also had radiation on an area of his leg to control the bleeding from the lesions and it did stop the bleeding.  His oncologist think he had a partial response to Yervoy in slowing down the cancer and some (not all) of his lesions flattened although they didn't go away. A couple of months ago, he noticed two hard golf-ball sized lumps in his groin area.  His oncologist wants to do a pet scan and said we can either do a second round of Yervoy, chemo, or do nothing.  He doesnt have any symptoms of the disease progressing and his bloodwork seems to be normal.  Do the lumps means that his cancer has spread the lymph nodes in that area?

I know some of you have done Yervoy reinduction and was wondering whether it worked for you. Also were the side effects the same,  different or worse than the first time you did Yervoy.  I can't remember reading anything on how effective a reinduction of Yervoy is, especially for partial responders.  Also, I am concerned that dad may not be able to tolerate it since he had such bad reaction last time.  Please let me know any suggestions or advice.

Thank you everyone,

Chau

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Erinmay22
        Participant
          Sorry to hear about what your dad is going thru. Is it possible for him to get in an anti-pd1 trial? I finished ipi end of November. Had growth in my lymph node and started pd1 trial at Sloan end of January.

Erin

cwu
            Participant

Hi Erin,

We will ask his oncologist again about anti-pd1 but I am afraid his age and health may disqualify him.  I have read that anti-pd1 side effects are more tolerable than yervoy, how have they been for you and especially compared with ipi? When do you get scans?

Wish you all the best and I hope the anti-pd1 will work for you.

Chau

Erinmay22
              Participant

Hey Chau –

I can look at the paperwork when I get home about exclusions – but yes side effects much less.  But I didn't really get any on ipi either.  I get itchy skin that's been about it.  Just finished 3rd dose on Monday.  Have scans April 12th with results on the 15th. 

Best of luck!

Erin

Erinmay22
                Participant

Hey Chau –

I can look at the paperwork when I get home about exclusions – but yes side effects much less.  But I didn't really get any on ipi either.  I get itchy skin that's been about it.  Just finished 3rd dose on Monday.  Have scans April 12th with results on the 15th. 

Best of luck!

Erin

Erinmay22
                  Participant

Hey Chau –

Best of luck!

Erin

cwu
                    Participant

Hi Erin,

We will ask his oncologist again about anti-pd1 but I am afraid his age and health may disqualify him.  I have read that anti-pd1 side effects are more tolerable than yervoy, how have they been for you and especially compared with ipi? When do you get scans?

Chau

cwu
                      Participant

Hi Erin,

Chau

Erinmay22
                      Participant
                        Sorry to hear about what your dad is going thru. Is it possible for him to get in an anti-pd1 trial? I finished ipi end of November. Had growth in my lymph node and started pd1 trial at Sloan end of January.

Erin

Erinmay22
                        Participant

Erin

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics