The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipilimumab and Tattoos

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipilimumab and Tattoos

Participant
      Just wondering if anybody has seen any research on how ipilimumab affects tattoos. My husband has pretty many tattoos all over his body and last night (at almost three weeks past his first infusion) the outline and shading of one on his leg became raised, approximately a 10-inch by 5-inch area was completely affected. This tattoo is 14 years old. No other tattoos on his body were affected. Yet. And after putting hydrocortisone cream on it it seemed to settle down. It was the weirdest thing … It was a 3D image.

Just wondering if anybody has seen any research on how ipilimumab affects tattoos. My husband has pretty many tattoos all over his body and last night (at almost three weeks past his first infusion) the outline and shading of one on his leg became raised, approximately a 10-inch by 5-inch area was completely affected. This tattoo is 14 years old. No other tattoos on his body were affected. Yet. And after putting hydrocortisone cream on it it seemed to settle down. It was the weirdest thing … It was a 3D image.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        G-Samsa
        Participant
          Don’t know too much about tattoos but my experience may be relevant–After treatment with Ipi, I noticed that two old scars became raised and inflamed. One scar was 30 years old — the other I didn’t even know I had until the inflammation revealed it. The scars continue to be irritated nine months after my first treatment. The doctor indicated that scar tissue may be affected by the immune response triggered by the Ipi (something about how the original scar tissue formation involved the immune system).
          G-Samsa
          Participant
            Don’t know too much about tattoos but my experience may be relevant–After treatment with Ipi, I noticed that two old scars became raised and inflamed. One scar was 30 years old — the other I didn’t even know I had until the inflammation revealed it. The scars continue to be irritated nine months after my first treatment. The doctor indicated that scar tissue may be affected by the immune response triggered by the Ipi (something about how the original scar tissue formation involved the immune system).
            G-Samsa
            Participant
              HopefulOne
              Participant

Wow, isn't that crazy? So interesting. Thanks for sharing.

POW
                Participant

I sure hope your husband doesn't tell his tatooed friends about this 3-D tats. Everybody else might get jealous and start a "run" on ipi! smiley

HopefulOne
                  Participant

Ha! You're onto something there. A new application for the drug … maybe it'll lower the cost.

ChicagoTom
                    Participant

Sometime after my 1st maintenance dose of ipi I had a suture come out of my inner thigh right under the scar tissue from a surgery two years previous. The whole scar(about 6 inches) has become more "raised" since starting ipi and the scars from the drainage tubes have grown a little, I'm assuming it's just inflammation. Dermo guy said it was nothing out of the ordinary, I'll discuss more with the onco next week before maintenance dose #2.

ChicagoTom
                      Participant

Sometime after my 1st maintenance dose of ipi I had a suture come out of my inner thigh right under the scar tissue from a surgery two years previous. The whole scar(about 6 inches) has become more "raised" since starting ipi and the scars from the drainage tubes have grown a little, I'm assuming it's just inflammation. Dermo guy said it was nothing out of the ordinary, I'll discuss more with the onco next week before maintenance dose #2.

ChicagoTom
                        Participant

HopefulOne
                          Participant

HopefulOne
                            Participant

POW
                              Participant

I sure hope your husband doesn't tell his tatooed friends about this 3-D tats. Everybody else might get jealous and start a "run" on ipi! smiley

POW
                                Participant

HopefulOne
                                  Participant

Ha! You're onto something there. A new application for the drug … maybe it'll lower the cost.

HopefulOne
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics