The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI/Yervoy Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI/Yervoy Treatment

Participant

HI there – I will be finishing up my 4th infusion of IPI on the 8th of June, then will be following up with the scans over the next several weeks.  If the IPI has worked does anyone have any idea how long it would be inbetween time in order for me to do it again?  I've been told my other patients, as well as my drs.

HI there – I will be finishing up my 4th infusion of IPI on the 8th of June, then will be following up with the scans over the next several weeks.  If the IPI has worked does anyone have any idea how long it would be inbetween time in order for me to do it again?  I've been told my other patients, as well as my drs. that the IPI has shown to have worked far after the last infusion so wasn't sure if it would be given again or I'd go into a wait and see pattern.  With melanoma and how fast it spreads I just am concerned about the length of time especially since I have mets in my brain and lung.  Thanks and to all who are dealing with this terrible disease stay strong and know that so many people are praying for you.  <3  

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        chenrydh
        Participant

I've had 2 treatments of IPI, one in the compassionate trial and now since it's FDA approved.  Because the compassionate trial showed great improvement I was very glad that the FDA approved this drug.  To answer your question I was only without treatment for approximately 6 weeks before starting on it again.  I am finished with my 2nd round of treatment and am in the middle of doing all my scans and follow ups.  So far so good.  Will keep you in my prayers for good results.

chenrydh
          Participant

I've had 2 treatments of IPI, one in the compassionate trial and now since it's FDA approved.  Because the compassionate trial showed great improvement I was very glad that the FDA approved this drug.  To answer your question I was only without treatment for approximately 6 weeks before starting on it again.  I am finished with my 2nd round of treatment and am in the middle of doing all my scans and follow ups.  So far so good.  Will keep you in my prayers for good results.

nickmac56
            Participant

my wife's oncologist waited until the 16th week before declaring failure. Failure was defined as no shrinkage. In her case there was growth, so it was moot. Many responders see it between week 12-16.

My wife also had brain mets (surgically removed and follow up with Cyberknife radiation). Given lack of data on durability of Ipi response (even though FDA approved), if I were in your shoes I wouldn't be waiting for the Ipi to do the job on the brain mets – I'd get them out of there ASAP. 

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Hello,

I am a complete responder to Ipi; I had four infusions, 3mk/kg, three weeks apart, then scans (PET/CT) two weeks later and then 12 weeks later. ALL my melanoma tumors, both cutaneous and subcutaneous were gone (my melanoma was contained in my right leg, but it was in my entire right leg). My treatments were part of a clinical trial from December 2010 to February 2011.

I think that you will have to see what your scans results are and then discuss with your doctor possible treatment options given your scan results. I do not know the exact protocol about repeat rounds of infusions of Ipi and what constitutes "response" to the drug…..it could be very subjective. Then there is the insurance part of the equation and Bristol Myers Squibb's (ipi's maker) response.

I see that you havent created a profile. That would be helpful for us to know your history with melanoma and previous treatments (if any).

Because I had visible melanoma I could see my body's response after the second infusion and after the fourth all my spots were reabsorbing. Because you have brain and lung mets you will needs scans to determine response. I hope that you are a responder to Ipi. Please complete a profile and come back to update us.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Hello,

I am a complete responder to Ipi; I had four infusions, 3mk/kg, three weeks apart, then scans (PET/CT) two weeks later and then 12 weeks later. ALL my melanoma tumors, both cutaneous and subcutaneous were gone (my melanoma was contained in my right leg, but it was in my entire right leg). My treatments were part of a clinical trial from December 2010 to February 2011.

I think that you will have to see what your scans results are and then discuss with your doctor possible treatment options given your scan results. I do not know the exact protocol about repeat rounds of infusions of Ipi and what constitutes "response" to the drug…..it could be very subjective. Then there is the insurance part of the equation and Bristol Myers Squibb's (ipi's maker) response.

I see that you havent created a profile. That would be helpful for us to know your history with melanoma and previous treatments (if any).

Because I had visible melanoma I could see my body's response after the second infusion and after the fourth all my spots were reabsorbing. Because you have brain and lung mets you will needs scans to determine response. I hope that you are a responder to Ipi. Please complete a profile and come back to update us.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

chenrydh
                    Participant

Prayers for your wife, you and your family.  I appreciate you sharing your story.  I did have gamma knife which was unsuccessful.   I love your wife's motto as it's one of my favorites also along with never, never, never give up.  <3

chenrydh
                      Participant

Prayers for your wife, you and your family.  I appreciate you sharing your story.  I did have gamma knife which was unsuccessful.   I love your wife's motto as it's one of my favorites also along with never, never, never give up.  <3

nickmac56
                      Participant

my wife's oncologist waited until the 16th week before declaring failure. Failure was defined as no shrinkage. In her case there was growth, so it was moot. Many responders see it between week 12-16.

My wife also had brain mets (surgically removed and follow up with Cyberknife radiation). Given lack of data on durability of Ipi response (even though FDA approved), if I were in your shoes I wouldn't be waiting for the Ipi to do the job on the brain mets – I'd get them out of there ASAP. 

Gene_S
                        Participant

WOW, you did 4 treatments of ippi and had NO side effects ?

We need more info to answer your questions.

Best wishes,

Gene

chenrydh
                            Participant

Thanky you all for your responses.  I re-read my question and I didn't really relay what I was trying to ask, although a few answered it correctly.  I was wanting to find out other's experience with the IPI and if they did it more than once, and if so, how long in-between treatments.  Gene_S – not sure who your comment was for as I didn't say I had no side effects.  I'm also doing Temodar along with the IPI so my side effects are hard to separate if it's the chemo or IPI, however, the severe itching and rash is from the IPI.   Not sure what other information you need.  Prayers for all affected by this terrible disease. 

chenrydh
                              Participant

Thanky you all for your responses.  I re-read my question and I didn't really relay what I was trying to ask, although a few answered it correctly.  I was wanting to find out other's experience with the IPI and if they did it more than once, and if so, how long in-between treatments.  Gene_S – not sure who your comment was for as I didn't say I had no side effects.  I'm also doing Temodar along with the IPI so my side effects are hard to separate if it's the chemo or IPI, however, the severe itching and rash is from the IPI.   Not sure what other information you need.  Prayers for all affected by this terrible disease. 

Gene_S
                              Participant

WOW, you did 4 treatments of ippi and had NO side effects ?

We need more info to answer your questions.

Best wishes,

Gene

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics