The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi (Yervoy) and Insurance Companies

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi (Yervoy) and Insurance Companies

Participant

Has anyone got IPI (yervoy) paid for by their medical insurance company??

How diffficult was the approval process??? What medical Insurance company approved IPI??

Has Medicare approved IPI yet??

Thanks

Jamie

Has anyone got IPI (yervoy) paid for by their medical insurance company??

How diffficult was the approval process??? What medical Insurance company approved IPI??

Has Medicare approved IPI yet??

Thanks

Jamie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jackiewin
        Participant

Yervoy was FDA approved for late stage MM in March.  Medicare pays for FDA approved chemos.  To be sure, you can call medicare and check with them.  Sorry, I don't know about private insurance.

Jackie W

killmel
            Participant

Thanks for your reply Jackie.

Interesting that I spoke to someone on Medicare & Yervoy has NOT been approved by Medicare as a drug that Medicare will pay for.

I hope someone will respond about Yervoy & private medical insurance. I have not found anyone that has got Yervoy approved through their private medical insurance.

If anyone was denied approval for yervoy by their private medical insurance, I would also be interested in that info & the name of the insurance company.

God Bless All

Jamie

killmel
              Participant

Thanks for your reply Jackie.

Interesting that I spoke to someone on Medicare & Yervoy has NOT been approved by Medicare as a drug that Medicare will pay for.

I hope someone will respond about Yervoy & private medical insurance. I have not found anyone that has got Yervoy approved through their private medical insurance.

If anyone was denied approval for yervoy by their private medical insurance, I would also be interested in that info & the name of the insurance company.

God Bless All

Jamie

jackiewin
              Participant

Yervoy was FDA approved for late stage MM in March.  Medicare pays for FDA approved chemos.  To be sure, you can call medicare and check with them.  Sorry, I don't know about private insurance.

Jackie W

Carol Taylor
                Participant

Jamie,

Go back to April 15th posts and look for one from EricNJill about yervoy and aassistance from insurance companies. She tells how she did it. I'm sure her strategy will work for you.

Lord, in Your mercy, make it so! Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                  Participant

Jamie,

Go back to April 15th posts and look for one from EricNJill about yervoy and aassistance from insurance companies. She tells how she did it. I'm sure her strategy will work for you.

Lord, in Your mercy, make it so! Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

cfw9186
                    Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 4, 2 weeks after IPI was FDA approved.  I have Blue Shield / Blue Cross insurance and yes they are paying for my treatment.

killmel
                        Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Did Blue Shield/Blue Cross approve IPI for you as one of their approved drugs OR did you get turned down and then have to appeal the decision to have them pay for IPI.

What state do you live in?

Jamie

killmel
                          Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Did Blue Shield/Blue Cross approve IPI for you as one of their approved drugs OR did you get turned down and then have to appeal the decision to have them pay for IPI.

What state do you live in?

Jamie

kfalkinburg
                            Participant

I am curious how you your IPI treatment approved with BCBS as well.  Can you give any advice?? My Dad is currently stage 4 (mets on brian, liver, lungs and now bone) diagnosed April '11.  BCBS has spent the past month denying his treatment for every possible reason imaginable.  Their latest is to say that it is an "investigational drug" according to the list of approved BCBS drugs.  He was diagnosed 41/2 weeks ago and has YET to receive any treatment.  Oncologist today referred him to Cancer Institute of NJ (where I had my treatment) to get enrolled in clinical trial.  We have filed a written appeal which will take a minimum of 45 days, consulted an attorney AND his oncologist did a peer-to-peer review with BCBS…still denied!  We feel that this is immoral and unethical.  He is a human being and it seems as though to ask for treatment is an unrealistic request.  Any advice would be greatly apprecited.

Carol Taylor
                              Participant

Contact Bristol Myers Squibb directly and see if they'll contact BCBS. That strategy has yielded good results in the past. Good luck.

Lord, in Your mercy, make a way please. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                Participant

Contact Bristol Myers Squibb directly and see if they'll contact BCBS. That strategy has yielded good results in the past. Good luck.

Lord, in Your mercy, make a way please. Thank You. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol

kfalkinburg
                                  Participant

I am curious how you your IPI treatment approved with BCBS as well.  Can you give any advice?? My Dad is currently stage 4 (mets on brian, liver, lungs and now bone) diagnosed April '11.  BCBS has spent the past month denying his treatment for every possible reason imaginable.  Their latest is to say that it is an "investigational drug" according to the list of approved BCBS drugs.  He was diagnosed 41/2 weeks ago and has YET to receive any treatment.  Oncologist today referred him to Cancer Institute of NJ (where I had my treatment) to get enrolled in clinical trial.  We have filed a written appeal which will take a minimum of 45 days, consulted an attorney AND his oncologist did a peer-to-peer review with BCBS…still denied!  We feel that this is immoral and unethical.  He is a human being and it seems as though to ask for treatment is an unrealistic request.  Any advice would be greatly apprecited.

cfw9186
                                  Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 4, 2 weeks after IPI was FDA approved.  I have Blue Shield / Blue Cross insurance and yes they are paying for my treatment.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics