The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI or PLX4032?-Please Advise!

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI or PLX4032?-Please Advise!

Participant

My dad has stage 1V melanoma (braf positive), just finished up 2 rounds of Interleukin-2 and it didn't work (no real surprise there) so now his doctor is looking into either ipi or PLX4032.  Which one is best?  Pros and Cons?  What would you do if you were in his shoes?   I want to help my dad anyway I can and need to know the ins and outs of all this stuff so we can make the best choice.  Please help!

My dad has stage 1V melanoma (braf positive), just finished up 2 rounds of Interleukin-2 and it didn't work (no real surprise there) so now his doctor is looking into either ipi or PLX4032.  Which one is best?  Pros and Cons?  What would you do if you were in his shoes?   I want to help my dad anyway I can and need to know the ins and outs of all this stuff so we can make the best choice.  Please help!  Thank you!

Adrienne

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

Oh, but there is no "best" choice!  There's only his choice.  Treatment decisions are very personal & like someone here taught me, once you make your choice, you never look back.

that being said, both BRAF and Ipi were considerations for me.  I chose ipi for my current treatment.  The chief advantage I saw was that some responses are durable with ipi, although CR is about as rare as with IL-2.  Also, I have a good history with immunotherapy (responsed to IL-2, did well on interferon when I was stage III), so that seemed like a good approach for me.  Finally, Ipi is believed to have some efficacy in the brain, and I do have brain mets.

those are a very few of the considerations for ME – for your dad they will be different.  Learn about likelihood of response, learn about side effects, and then…never look back!

Good luck

KatyWI

KatyWI
          Participant

Oh, but there is no "best" choice!  There's only his choice.  Treatment decisions are very personal & like someone here taught me, once you make your choice, you never look back.

that being said, both BRAF and Ipi were considerations for me.  I chose ipi for my current treatment.  The chief advantage I saw was that some responses are durable with ipi, although CR is about as rare as with IL-2.  Also, I have a good history with immunotherapy (responsed to IL-2, did well on interferon when I was stage III), so that seemed like a good approach for me.  Finally, Ipi is believed to have some efficacy in the brain, and I do have brain mets.

those are a very few of the considerations for ME – for your dad they will be different.  Learn about likelihood of response, learn about side effects, and then…never look back!

Good luck

KatyWI

sukie53
            Participant

Hi Adrienne,

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, it's great that he has you looking into all this for you so that he can just concentrate on fighting this disease.

This would be my opinion, although utlimately there is no right or wrong decision I don't think. I am on plx. It worked remarkabley quickly and has improved my quality of life amazingly in the 4 months I have been on it. I haven't posted very much here so if you search under sukie53 you should be able to read my other posts. The side effects aren't too bad at all, so if your Dad's disease is well advanced and his life expectancy is short, I would go for plx first becuase it has an 80% response rate and it happens quickly. . Also, if he is poorly following the Il 2 it will give him a chance to regain his strength. Plx does fail quite quickly in some people so maybe that would be the time to move on to ipi.

However, if your Dad is quite fit and his disease is not too far progressed, he might be better starting with ipi. It can be very slow to work, but the side effects can be more serious I believe. I haven't tried this yet though so I cannot really say much about it.

For me, plx has been an amazing drug, which brought me from the brink of death, so I am bound to ne biased!

Let me know if you need any more info,

xSukie

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Suki, Sounds like good reasoning to me.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Suki, Sounds like good reasoning to me.

sukie53
                  Participant

Hi Adrienne,

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, it's great that he has you looking into all this for you so that he can just concentrate on fighting this disease.

This would be my opinion, although utlimately there is no right or wrong decision I don't think. I am on plx. It worked remarkabley quickly and has improved my quality of life amazingly in the 4 months I have been on it. I haven't posted very much here so if you search under sukie53 you should be able to read my other posts. The side effects aren't too bad at all, so if your Dad's disease is well advanced and his life expectancy is short, I would go for plx first becuase it has an 80% response rate and it happens quickly. . Also, if he is poorly following the Il 2 it will give him a chance to regain his strength. Plx does fail quite quickly in some people so maybe that would be the time to move on to ipi.

However, if your Dad is quite fit and his disease is not too far progressed, he might be better starting with ipi. It can be very slow to work, but the side effects can be more serious I believe. I haven't tried this yet though so I cannot really say much about it.

For me, plx has been an amazing drug, which brought me from the brink of death, so I am bound to ne biased!

xSukie

sukie53
                    Participant

Hi Adrienne,

xSukie

sukie53
                      Participant

Hi Adrienne,

xSukie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics