The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI/NIVO treatment almost 2 weeks ago and having reactions

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI/NIVO treatment almost 2 weeks ago and having reactions

Participant

I got my first infusion 2 Friday's ago and started having a small fever (99) this past weekend. I now have a rash over my entire body that itches like crazy. I am able to curb the itching with Sarna and Benadryl spray. I was also having some mild diarrhea that I am able to control fairly well with Imodium.  Seems as though within 5-10 minutes after whatever I eat I get a cramping stomach. I'm curious if people that have had side effects if they were similar and how long did it last?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        AshleyS
        Participant

I was on the combo when it was a trial. I had pretty much the exact side effects as you. Taking Zyrtec helped A TON (I actually take a generic store brand). I also used Dove soap. I did exactly what you're doing for the diarrhea, which continued after the combo. Taking a probiotic has helped a lot. Just a heads up, I was kicked off of the combo after 3/4 treatments. Watch your fever and diarrhea – don't be afraid to go in if you have to. 

BTW…I am now cancer free, so just ecause you have side effects, even if they get bad, there is hope!

Best of luck!

Ashley

Bearsworth
            Participant

I find that I can't eat or drink like a regular size meal. I am eating a more bland diet and in smaller portions. This helps a bit with the diarrhea. Only have it after eating meals so I know it's not as bad as some I have heard of uncontrollable. I do get a little winded easier when doing tasks. Right now I am attributing that to that I had a fever the last few days and am recouping. Fever is gone now. 

kind of a funny thing about the itching. I can control myself during the day but have been having dreams about itching and wake up finding myself going crazy itching all over. Kind of wonder how long I had been itching away. 

How long after the combo did you continue with the diarrhea and rash?  

That is so awesome that you are cancer free. This is the first time my doctors have used the word "cured" with melanoma with me and I find it exciting. Worth the sacrifice for sure. 

Chris

Bearsworth
              Participant

I find that I can't eat or drink like a regular size meal. I am eating a more bland diet and in smaller portions. This helps a bit with the diarrhea. Only have it after eating meals so I know it's not as bad as some I have heard of uncontrollable. I do get a little winded easier when doing tasks. Right now I am attributing that to that I had a fever the last few days and am recouping. Fever is gone now. 

kind of a funny thing about the itching. I can control myself during the day but have been having dreams about itching and wake up finding myself going crazy itching all over. Kind of wonder how long I had been itching away. 

That is so awesome that you are cancer free. This is the first time my doctors have used the word "cured" with melanoma with me and I find it exciting. Worth the sacrifice for sure. 

Chris

Bearsworth
                Participant

Chris

AshleyS
                Participant

I was on the combo when it was a trial. I had pretty much the exact side effects as you. Taking Zyrtec helped A TON (I actually take a generic store brand). I also used Dove soap. I did exactly what you're doing for the diarrhea, which continued after the combo. Taking a probiotic has helped a lot. Just a heads up, I was kicked off of the combo after 3/4 treatments. Watch your fever and diarrhea – don't be afraid to go in if you have to. 

BTW…I am now cancer free, so just ecause you have side effects, even if they get bad, there is hope!

Best of luck!

Ashley

AshleyS
                  Participant

Best of luck!

Ashley

kylez
                    Participant

Did you docs tell you to get in touch with them if you suspected you might be having a reaction? For myself I would contact the doctors, especially knowing that the skin is the largest organ in the body. I'd want to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. 

Bearsworth
                        Participant

They did tell me to get in contact with them and I have been tempted to call a couple of times but I wait a few hours and am feeling better. The stomach issue seems to come and go with food intake. Think it's kind of normal from what I have been reading. Doctors are in Houston and I live in Dallas. Have an appt. with an oncologist in my area Dec 8 just to have one closer. 

Bearsworth
                          Participant

They did tell me to get in contact with them and I have been tempted to call a couple of times but I wait a few hours and am feeling better. The stomach issue seems to come and go with food intake. Think it's kind of normal from what I have been reading. Doctors are in Houston and I live in Dallas. Have an appt. with an oncologist in my area Dec 8 just to have one closer. 

ed williams
                            Participant

Hi Bearsworth, the one thing that I have learned over the last two years about the combination is that the side effects are easily managed as long as the doctors treat it early. Some times they might have to skip a treatment or two before starting you back on the meds. I used to think that I should do anything to keep getting access to the drugs and I did not always communicate the full amount of my side effects to my doctors. The top doctors who have seen hundreds of patients on immunotherapy drugs find the side effects easy to manage as long as they catch them early. Diarrhea is one of the main side effects that they look for do to the fact it can lead to severe side effects(Enterocolitis) if not treated early. Dr. Weber and Dr. Sanjiv Agarwala of Temple university did a webcast on Omedlive in Sept of 2015 on this topic. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed

ed williams
                              Participant

Hi Bearsworth, the one thing that I have learned over the last two years about the combination is that the side effects are easily managed as long as the doctors treat it early. Some times they might have to skip a treatment or two before starting you back on the meds. I used to think that I should do anything to keep getting access to the drugs and I did not always communicate the full amount of my side effects to my doctors. The top doctors who have seen hundreds of patients on immunotherapy drugs find the side effects easy to manage as long as they catch them early. Diarrhea is one of the main side effects that they look for do to the fact it can lead to severe side effects(Enterocolitis) if not treated early. Dr. Weber and Dr. Sanjiv Agarwala of Temple university did a webcast on Omedlive in Sept of 2015 on this topic. Wishing you the best!!!! Ed

Squash
                                Participant

How do you ascertain whether the diarrhea is out of control?

I mean I have had the runs for 10 days and have maybe 10 trips to the loo a day and that is with taking immodium.

I dont have any pain or fever or feel dehydrated but i am wondering if it will ever stop and what to do if it doesnt?

Squash
                                  Participant

I mean I have had the runs for 10 days and have maybe 10 trips to the loo a day and that is with taking immodium.

I dont have any pain or fever or feel dehydrated but i am wondering if it will ever stop and what to do if it doesnt?

Bearsworth
                                    Participant

I'm not sure how to tell if it's out of control but I tried a few tricks yesterday for Thanksgiving and it worked like a charm. About an hour before I ate, I took the Imodium. Did not have an issue all day. Yesterday was obviously one of the more rich meals I have had in a few weeks and I was honestly dreading it for that reason but it worked. Trial and error I guess. In addition, all other days I have been eating very bland. Toast, bananas and soups. Also try a probiotic. 

Im not sure what constitutes out of control diarrhea but I have not had that bad of it. Try some of these tricks and see if they work. Everyone's body is different. Good luck to you. 

Bearsworth
                                      Participant

I'm not sure how to tell if it's out of control but I tried a few tricks yesterday for Thanksgiving and it worked like a charm. About an hour before I ate, I took the Imodium. Did not have an issue all day. Yesterday was obviously one of the more rich meals I have had in a few weeks and I was honestly dreading it for that reason but it worked. Trial and error I guess. In addition, all other days I have been eating very bland. Toast, bananas and soups. Also try a probiotic. 

Im not sure what constitutes out of control diarrhea but I have not had that bad of it. Try some of these tricks and see if they work. Everyone's body is different. Good luck to you. 

ed williams
                                        Participant

On the subject that Anon brought up about how do you know if the diarrhea is too bad. I would recommend contacting your Dr.s Nurse, she should be following the clinical trial standards set out by the Drug company. There is an excellent webinar on the subject on Omedlive, you have to join ( no big deal) they don't send you emails afterwards. The webinar has Dr. Weber and Dr. Sanjuv Agarwala of Temple University. The date of the webinar is Sept. 22, 2015.  The title is a bit long " A Team based approach to Optimizing outcomes in Melanoma. Managing Immune Response related and Dermatologic side effects in patients being treated with Novel therapies." Hope this is helpfull. Ed

ed williams
                                          Participant

On the subject that Anon brought up about how do you know if the diarrhea is too bad. I would recommend contacting your Dr.s Nurse, she should be following the clinical trial standards set out by the Drug company. There is an excellent webinar on the subject on Omedlive, you have to join ( no big deal) they don't send you emails afterwards. The webinar has Dr. Weber and Dr. Sanjuv Agarwala of Temple University. The date of the webinar is Sept. 22, 2015.  The title is a bit long " A Team based approach to Optimizing outcomes in Melanoma. Managing Immune Response related and Dermatologic side effects in patients being treated with Novel therapies." Hope this is helpfull. Ed

ed williams
                                            Participant

Bearsworth
                                              Participant

Squash
                                                Participant

ed williams
                                                  Participant

kylez
                                                    Participant

My opinion/three cents is it's worth it to call your doc, before things get out of hand rather than waiting for to see if it gets really bad. For myself I just know these treatments can have serious side effects. I'm actually thinking more of the skin that the GI issues although GI issues are also a biggie for the IPI half of the treatment. I managed to miss all that with IPI alone.

I like the Gold Bond Eczema Relief Skin Protectant Cream, in relation to eczema (mild in my case), not specifically related to immune treatment side effects. It has 2% colloidal oatmeal. Personally I did not find the Sarna lotion helpful when I had skin rashes from high dose IL-2.

kylez
                                                      Participant

My opinion/three cents is it's worth it to call your doc, before things get out of hand rather than waiting for to see if it gets really bad. For myself I just know these treatments can have serious side effects. I'm actually thinking more of the skin that the GI issues although GI issues are also a biggie for the IPI half of the treatment. I managed to miss all that with IPI alone.

I like the Gold Bond Eczema Relief Skin Protectant Cream, in relation to eczema (mild in my case), not specifically related to immune treatment side effects. It has 2% colloidal oatmeal. Personally I did not find the Sarna lotion helpful when I had skin rashes from high dose IL-2.

kylez
                                                        Participant

Bearsworth
                                                          Participant

Thanks. I will try the gold bond. 

Bearsworth
                                                            Participant

gregor913
                                                              Participant

Hey hope your rash is feeling better. I was just wondering what stage you are since I am 3b and looking into treatment options. Just trying to have all my eggs in the basket. So far i have my treatment options narrowed down to watch and wait, interferon, yervoy, and now im reading about your yervoy/nivo combo. Is IPI/NIVO adjuvant care for stage 3b?

thanks Greg

gregor913
                                                                Participant

Hey hope your rash is feeling better. I was just wondering what stage you are since I am 3b and looking into treatment options. Just trying to have all my eggs in the basket. So far i have my treatment options narrowed down to watch and wait, interferon, yervoy, and now im reading about your yervoy/nivo combo. Is IPI/NIVO adjuvant care for stage 3b?

thanks Greg

gregor913
                                                                  Participant

thanks Greg

Bearsworth
                                                                    Participant

Bearsworth
                                                                      Participant

kylez
                                                                      Participant

Did you docs tell you to get in touch with them if you suspected you might be having a reaction? For myself I would contact the doctors, especially knowing that the skin is the largest organ in the body. I'd want to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. 

kylez
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics