The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi-Nivo Side effects – Random fevers and thyroid

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi-Nivo Side effects – Random fevers and thyroid

Participant

My wife has had 2 cycles of Ipi+Nivo and now has had a week of random fevers that don't seem to respond much to Tylenol or Ibruprofen. Her fevers range from normal to 102 or higher (even 104), and can change within a few minutes.

After 2 ER visits, it looks like she is neutropenic and has an overactive Thyroid gland. I've seen others post on thyroid trouble from Ipi-Nivo, but nothing on random fevers.

There are some endocrine tests still out and they are scheduling her for a CT to check more closely for infection (as a source for the fever).

Question: Does anyone have any experience with random fevers such as these?  Docs are having a hard time figuring out what is causing them and how these relate to neutropenia.

Thanks everyone –

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        keepthefaith11
        Participant
          My dad had a fever of 104 off and on for 3 days while on Yervoy. Tylenol did keep it in check. His oncologist said it was related to the Yervoy. He had no other symptoms.

Annie

keepthefaith11
            Participant
              Wanted to add that this happened after the 2nd treatment as well. Right after this, bloodwork showed 10 times elevated liver enzymes. Not sure if the gever was a precursor for the liver issues or not.
              JohnA
              Participant

Thanks Annie – my wife has no elevated bloodwork, no sign of infection, blood, urine, nasal swab, etc. so the fevers are a bit puzzling.

She is on yervoy, and had her 2nd cycle 2 weeks ago.

I'm wondering if the overactive thyroud could explain the fevers and neutropenia.

keepthefaith11
                Participant
                  Not sure about that, but according to his oncologist this could be an isolated side effect. She wasn’t too concerned and didn’t mention steroids until the high liver enzymes. He then had to discontinue treatment.

Hope the fever settles!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                  Participant
                    Not sure about that, but according to his oncologist this could be an isolated side effect. She wasn’t too concerned and didn’t mention steroids until the high liver enzymes. He then had to discontinue treatment.

Hope the fever settles!

Annie

keepthefaith11
                    Participant

Hope the fever settles!

Annie

JohnA
                      Participant

Thanks Annie – my wife has no elevated bloodwork, no sign of infection, blood, urine, nasal swab, etc. so the fevers are a bit puzzling.

I'm wondering if the overactive thyroud could explain the fevers and neutropenia.

JohnA
                        Participant

keepthefaith11
                          Participant
                            Wanted to add that this happened after the 2nd treatment as well. Right after this, bloodwork showed 10 times elevated liver enzymes. Not sure if the gever was a precursor for the liver issues or not.
                            keepthefaith11
                            Participant
                            keepthefaith11
                            Participant
                              My dad had a fever of 104 off and on for 3 days while on Yervoy. Tylenol did keep it in check. His oncologist said it was related to the Yervoy. He had no other symptoms.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                              Participant

Annie

ReallyAgain
                                Participant

Hi John,  Wondering if you had any updates as we are going through the, almost, same thing.  Two infusions of Yervoy/Opdivo cocktail.  103.7 4 day fevers, now they are saying his thyroid is having trouble, waiting to get an appt w/endocrinologist.  Skin rash only where clothes cover hs skin.

Thanks in advance for any insights from this community!

Viewing 3 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics