The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

IPI/NIVO rash

Forums General Melanoma Community IPI/NIVO rash

Participant

Image tried just about everything. I am to the point I can't sleep at night. This itching is driving me crazy. It's all on the inside of my arms, my neck and all over my back. I have tried Benadryl, Zyrtec and all the creams. The creams are a very temporary fix. Has anybody had any luck managing this?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Squash
        Participant

I dont know from any personal experience but maybe an Apple Cider Vinegar bath might possibly help.

It can be helpful for psoriasis.

Squash
          Participant

I dont know from any personal experience but maybe an Apple Cider Vinegar bath might possibly help.

Squash
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

There's a combination of oatmeal and other things I don't remember. Search on this site for things like rash and it should come up in a response. Supposed to have worked well but I never tried it. I tried other things like a spray but it was only temporary relief.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

There's a combination of oatmeal and other things I don't remember. Search on this site for things like rash and it should come up in a response. Supposed to have worked well but I never tried it. I tried other things like a spray but it was only temporary relief.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

kylez
                    Participant

That sounds like pretty serious. It sounds well beyond where I would be contacting my doctor. I've learned that's the right way to deal with side effects from immune therapies.

kylez
                      Participant

That sounds like pretty serious. It sounds well beyond where I would be contacting my doctor. I've learned that's the right way to deal with side effects from immune therapies.

kylez
                        Participant

Gwenmorgan
                          Participant

I am fairly itchy and have done a few neurotic things so I was hesitant to respond..but… as I am in this boat with you I thought I would share how I am handling the itch at night – I take a hot shower (against all medical advice) as the heat soothes the itch and burns a little and then I use a fairly stiff back/body brush with sudsy shower oil (I currently have a sample of L'occitane almonde shower oil that I got in a "get well" basket from family that works like a super moisurizing soap – love it) and then I do the unthinkable and I scrub the itch out until I feel better- not my face though.

Then I cover all in neutrogena sesame body oil, let it soak in for a few minutes and then apply a generous layer of aquaphor to seal in the moisture.  My clothes are washed sanitary/allergy cycle to make sure there are no allergens trapped as I have some strange allergic reactions to everyday things.  Then I take 2 benadryl and that knocks the life out of me and I sleep for a solid 6 hours.

For scaly rashes on my hands, arms and elbows I am also coating them with Aveeno eczema lotion throughout the day and I also have a tube next to the bed.  My face is also rosy, swollen and a little scaly but I havent found a good solution there yet – only things NOT to use.

Now that I think about it I probably smell pretty intense!  But, overall better than last week when I was coating my body with insect repellent in the middle of the night because I was dreaming that bugs were crawling on me.  And I convinced myself I had scabies…luckily not the case!!  My doctors ended up basically humoring me (since I said I had caught "special hospital bugs" and prescribing some anti-bug cream that didn't help with the itch at all but was probably better than the out n out pesticides I was considering:)

To add to the neurosis I also had the house fumagated, the dog flea bathed and groomed and purchased a 10 lb bag of food grade diotamaceos earth and basically coated the carpets-and I used some for my chicken coop too just in case the chickens needed a good dust bath.  Though I must have used more than I thought in the house as I clogged up 2 vacuums and had to spend the better part of my morning today watching youtube videos on learning how to clean vacuum parts.

I have also used ice packs on itch spots behind my knees and back of my thighs.  It seems that the extreme heat or cold works best for me overall.

I am sorry I have no great solutions– but I can definitely commiserate with you!  Best of luck and if you come up with something that works please share!

Bearsworth
                              Participant

I know your feelings on the bugs. I had 1 night where I got no sleep at all and was going crazy the next day. I contacted my oncologist and he suggested I go see my dermatologist. He didn't want to administer oral steroids at this time. My dermatologist was able to prescribe me a topical steroid and something called hydroxyzine. I believe that is like a stronger grade Benadryl. I am about 90% better. The rash is still there but not even close to as bad itching as before. 

Bearsworth
                                Participant

I know your feelings on the bugs. I had 1 night where I got no sleep at all and was going crazy the next day. I contacted my oncologist and he suggested I go see my dermatologist. He didn't want to administer oral steroids at this time. My dermatologist was able to prescribe me a topical steroid and something called hydroxyzine. I believe that is like a stronger grade Benadryl. I am about 90% better. The rash is still there but not even close to as bad itching as before. 

Bearsworth
                                  Participant

Gwenmorgan
                                  Participant

I am fairly itchy and have done a few neurotic things so I was hesitant to respond..but… as I am in this boat with you I thought I would share how I am handling the itch at night – I take a hot shower (against all medical advice) as the heat soothes the itch and burns a little and then I use a fairly stiff back/body brush with sudsy shower oil (I currently have a sample of L'occitane almonde shower oil that I got in a "get well" basket from family that works like a super moisurizing soap – love it) and then I do the unthinkable and I scrub the itch out until I feel better- not my face though.

Then I cover all in neutrogena sesame body oil, let it soak in for a few minutes and then apply a generous layer of aquaphor to seal in the moisture.  My clothes are washed sanitary/allergy cycle to make sure there are no allergens trapped as I have some strange allergic reactions to everyday things.  Then I take 2 benadryl and that knocks the life out of me and I sleep for a solid 6 hours.

For scaly rashes on my hands, arms and elbows I am also coating them with Aveeno eczema lotion throughout the day and I also have a tube next to the bed.  My face is also rosy, swollen and a little scaly but I havent found a good solution there yet – only things NOT to use.

Now that I think about it I probably smell pretty intense!  But, overall better than last week when I was coating my body with insect repellent in the middle of the night because I was dreaming that bugs were crawling on me.  And I convinced myself I had scabies…luckily not the case!!  My doctors ended up basically humoring me (since I said I had caught "special hospital bugs" and prescribing some anti-bug cream that didn't help with the itch at all but was probably better than the out n out pesticides I was considering:)

To add to the neurosis I also had the house fumagated, the dog flea bathed and groomed and purchased a 10 lb bag of food grade diotamaceos earth and basically coated the carpets-and I used some for my chicken coop too just in case the chickens needed a good dust bath.  Though I must have used more than I thought in the house as I clogged up 2 vacuums and had to spend the better part of my morning today watching youtube videos on learning how to clean vacuum parts.

I have also used ice packs on itch spots behind my knees and back of my thighs.  It seems that the extreme heat or cold works best for me overall.

I am sorry I have no great solutions– but I can definitely commiserate with you!  Best of luck and if you come up with something that works please share!

Gwenmorgan
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics