The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi/Nivo Combo

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi/Nivo Combo

Participant

Is there anyone out there getting this combo without being on a trial? Can doctors prescribe this together since both drugs are FDA approved?  I've had Ipi with slight growth and tolerated it well and want to get the combo. Thanks for any input.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        LaurenE
        Participant

No, unfortunately they are not FDA-approved in combination, despite the fact that they are approved individually. There is expanded access to the combination therapy at specific cites – you can see at the link below. So even though it's not quite on trial, because the data shows such good outcomes, the FDA is allowing patients to get access to it (without having to worry about getting a placebo).

https://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT02186249

Right now, having already been treated with ipi and/or nivo/keytruda excludes you from access to the combination, however I think it wouldn't hurt to reach out and talk to them as you never know what take those actually giving the medications may have. Once they are FDA approved in combination, which should happen in the not-too-distant future (given that the FDA is allowing this expanded access), you may be able to try it even if you have been treated with one of them before.

One thing to keep in mind is that the combination therapy has significantly higher toxicity than either drug does individually. There is also some data indicating that if your tumor expresses the PD-L1 ligand, then nivolumab (or keytruda) alone may be as effective effective as in combination with ipi, but with much less toxicity. I really wish there were labs testing for this now, but there aren't any yet that I know of (outside of studies), so it's kind of a roll of the dice, but a relatively safer one. 

LaurenE
          Participant

No, unfortunately they are not FDA-approved in combination, despite the fact that they are approved individually. There is expanded access to the combination therapy at specific cites – you can see at the link below. So even though it's not quite on trial, because the data shows such good outcomes, the FDA is allowing patients to get access to it (without having to worry about getting a placebo).

Right now, having already been treated with ipi and/or nivo/keytruda excludes you from access to the combination, however I think it wouldn't hurt to reach out and talk to them as you never know what take those actually giving the medications may have. Once they are FDA approved in combination, which should happen in the not-too-distant future (given that the FDA is allowing this expanded access), you may be able to try it even if you have been treated with one of them before.

One thing to keep in mind is that the combination therapy has significantly higher toxicity than either drug does individually. There is also some data indicating that if your tumor expresses the PD-L1 ligand, then nivolumab (or keytruda) alone may be as effective effective as in combination with ipi, but with much less toxicity. I really wish there were labs testing for this now, but there aren't any yet that I know of (outside of studies), so it's kind of a roll of the dice, but a relatively safer one. 

LaurenE
            Participant

ed williams
              Participant

Hi Bennickliz, I looked for a your profile but you haven't made one yet. Just a couple of questions, one about your braf status? Second when did you do Ipi? The reason I ask is that you can get Nivolumab if you progress after taking ipi but you might have to do targeted therapy first depending on your braf status. Your oncologist should be talking to you about your options. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

jpg
                  Participant

Actually you can get nivo or the other PD1 without doing other treatments, it has all changed now. there is a good discussion by a doctor from Mayo clinic on the combination of IPI/Nivo here:  http://melanomainternational.org/2015/06/from-outside-the-halls-of-asco/#.VYiPgvlViko

Good luck to you!

Bennickliz
                    Participant

I did talk to my oncologist last week and he's is leaning towards a wait and see approach for 3 months and then get scanned.  I have yet to do the PD 1 drugs.  If the combo gets approved soon I would like to wait.  My disease is for the most part either slow growing or the treatments I have had have benefited me. I did create a profile with treatment history. Thanks for all the input! Becky

Bennickliz
                      Participant

I did talk to my oncologist last week and he's is leaning towards a wait and see approach for 3 months and then get scanned.  I have yet to do the PD 1 drugs.  If the combo gets approved soon I would like to wait.  My disease is for the most part either slow growing or the treatments I have had have benefited me. I did create a profile with treatment history. Thanks for all the input! Becky

Bennickliz
                        Participant

jpg
                          Participant

Actually you can get nivo or the other PD1 without doing other treatments, it has all changed now. there is a good discussion by a doctor from Mayo clinic on the combination of IPI/Nivo here:  http://melanomainternational.org/2015/06/from-outside-the-halls-of-asco/#.VYiPgvlViko

Good luck to you!

jpg
                            Participant

Good luck to you!

ed williams
                            Participant

Hi Bennickliz, I looked for a your profile but you haven't made one yet. Just a couple of questions, one about your braf status? Second when did you do Ipi? The reason I ask is that you can get Nivolumab if you progress after taking ipi but you might have to do targeted therapy first depending on your braf status. Your oncologist should be talking to you about your options. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

ed williams
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics