The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi/nivo Colitis Now Hospitalized :(

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi/nivo Colitis Now Hospitalized :(

Participant
      Hey everyone,

Normally I wouldn’t panic, but it’s been a bad week. After my mom received her scans indicating everything had shrunk, no activity in lymph nodes etc…her doctor decided to do 2 more round of ipi/nivo (he stated he wanted to make sure all of the cancer is gone and would continue scans in future). She had some colitis when she received her nivo treatments, but was easily controlled by prednisone.

However this ipi/nivo, which was about 1.5 months after the 4th dose, caused severe colitis for the entire weekend. She went to the hospital Wednesday and was given fluids. By today, she was dehydrated again. They decided to admit her for 5 to 7 days because she is so weak. She said she was given 60 mg twice a day prednisone, some anti-poo medicine (literally what she called it) and an antibiotic.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I know the side effects get worse over time and colitis is a big one of them (thank you Bubbles for posting this information!). I’m just terrified we got such good news and now she has gone downhill worse than she has been through this entire ordeal.

Any help is appreciated…

Melissa

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Melissa,

Its good she has been admitted.They will keep a close eye on fluid balance  and if the steroids and immodium or equivalent don't turn things around pretty quickly they should be looking at sorting things via remicade or infliximab

see here https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/advice-needed-severe-colitis

The steroid dose is pretty high so might be worth asking if a PPI is needed. Will find you a link to the ipi yervoy adverse effects guidlines 

http://www.opdivoyervoyhcp.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00Pi000000SRPWfEAP

Yes- others have gone through this unfortunately – but if things are not getting better pretty quickly this paper below points the way forward- but as the docs have admitted your Mum and are closely monitoring her you should not need to use it… but it does help you to see when the docs should be changing treatment…probably means no more combo treatments but nivo may be back on the menu after the steroids have been tapered down over the minimum of a month once control resumed. A colonoscopy might be ordered just to check nothing else going on- don't panic if they do- its just they will have a lower trigger point for further investigations and want to rule out any other problems.

Hope all settles asap and best wishes,

Deb

PS a decent probiotic might be helpful getting things to settle- esp as there are antibiotics in the mix and they help immunotherapy work on mice- so probably worth a go….

Guidelines and recommendations here http://www.uptodate.com/contents/toxicities-associated-with-checkpoint-inhibitor-immunotherapy

debwray
          Participant

Hi Melissa,

Its good she has been admitted.They will keep a close eye on fluid balance  and if the steroids and immodium or equivalent don't turn things around pretty quickly they should be looking at sorting things via remicade or infliximab

see here https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/advice-needed-severe-colitis

The steroid dose is pretty high so might be worth asking if a PPI is needed. Will find you a link to the ipi yervoy adverse effects guidlines 

http://www.opdivoyervoyhcp.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00Pi000000SRPWfEAP

Yes- others have gone through this unfortunately – but if things are not getting better pretty quickly this paper below points the way forward- but as the docs have admitted your Mum and are closely monitoring her you should not need to use it… but it does help you to see when the docs should be changing treatment…probably means no more combo treatments but nivo may be back on the menu after the steroids have been tapered down over the minimum of a month once control resumed. A colonoscopy might be ordered just to check nothing else going on- don't panic if they do- its just they will have a lower trigger point for further investigations and want to rule out any other problems.

Deb

PS a decent probiotic might be helpful getting things to settle- esp as there are antibiotics in the mix and they help immunotherapy work on mice- so probably worth a go….

Guidelines and recommendations here http://www.uptodate.com/contents/toxicities-associated-with-checkpoint-inhibitor-immunotherapy

debwray
            Participant

Hi Melissa,

Deb

Buddy0513
                Participant

Deb,

First I want to say thank you for finding all of that information! I just got finished reading through all of it. 

It seems she is more of a "Grade 4", or at least close to it…which still makes me a bit nervous, but I her and I both feel better with the idea that she is at the hospital now getting the care she needs 24/7. As for her treatments, I am not really sure where it will go next. It was just sad since we had finally made a step forward, now it feels as if we made about 20 backwards!

I saw you mentioned the probiotic in the other thread, but it was one I wasn't familiar with. How many strains/billion do you take? My mom currently takes 8 billion, 5 strains, I was trying to get her on one that is stronger, but she has been very nervous about it since when we started with the large tumors and it changed her bowel movements even more than what the tumor was influencing.

I hope your treatments are going well. I check in on this site from time to time, but rarely have time to follow and post since school/work started again. I appreciate your response. Just in full blown panic mode over this!

debwray
                  Participant

Hi,

A hospital admission as an emergency never feels reassuring, but as you say this is where your Mum will get 24/7 care and monitoring until the docs are convinced the colitis is resolving and the treatment for it is working. Your probiotic sounds fine.. Multi strain and lots of bacteria.

My IPI nivo protocol only has 4 3mg per kg doses in total followed by nivo only for up to 2 years so your Mum has already had more than enough IPI already to get her immune system into attack mode..hence the colitis.. And more nivo will help target her body on attacking the melanoma only..those with strong adverse reactions often have a better percentage response rate..a crumb of comfort for you. When I was considering tne combo was told higher risk of side effects than Pembro monotherapy and a 50% chance of an emergency hospital admission so this is unfortunately not that unusual.

The good scan results remain a fact.. They will get the colitis under control as experience in managing these things has grown. The docs know what works and when and if treatment escalation is needed.  You know what to query if things aren't improving fast enough so with abit of luck your Mum will be feeling very different within a few days . The big picture is good.. Treatment working, tumours shrinking..just need to get the pesky side effects under control and your medical team seem to be making moves by the book so am very hopeful that your mum will be much more settled soon. Hold fast and hang on..you know roughly what to expect.. And this does not mean your Mum will not stand a chance of getting a decent response from the combo.

My final IPI nivo combo has been delayed for 1 week as liver results still not down to grade 1_ but at least it will give me a week relatively itch and nausea free and not timed out of the trial…which is to see if docs experienced at managing side effects of combo have fewer high grade immune related adverse events. 

Best wishes to you and your family…try to turn down the panic , take a deep breath and work through it all , one day at a time . 

Best wishes

Deb

Buddy0513
                    Participant

It was just scary to have this happen all of a sudden. My neighbor back home called me in a panic, saying she had never seen my mom look/feel this bad ever before and we have known her for 20+ years. Her doctor keeps telling her all these side effects are a good thing, but it just leads to a panic because when her organs started getting very low/dangerous values you begin to think the worst! They said they won't release her from the hospital until they are 100% sure about everything, but so far no infections just constant potassium/fluids to help keep things going.

Glad to hear you are almost done with the combination! Hopefully your liver enzymes will be within the correct range soon and you'll be able to get the last dose. It is interesting how you are slotted to have 4 doses plus the nivo for 2 years, not sure why my mom was ordered to have more doses, especially when she had nivo after finishing the 4th dose. As we all have said here the itch and all is a good thing, my mom is proof of that! Just hang in there. I will keep you in my thoughts as I do all of the warriors on this board. 

Thanks again for all of the information. I really appreciate everything you have said/done, I know you have followed my moms story since the start. If this ever happens again in the future (which I sure hope it doesn't!) at least I know not to have a full-blown panic and just to give things some time. 

Melissa

Buddy0513
                      Participant

It was just scary to have this happen all of a sudden. My neighbor back home called me in a panic, saying she had never seen my mom look/feel this bad ever before and we have known her for 20+ years. Her doctor keeps telling her all these side effects are a good thing, but it just leads to a panic because when her organs started getting very low/dangerous values you begin to think the worst! They said they won't release her from the hospital until they are 100% sure about everything, but so far no infections just constant potassium/fluids to help keep things going.

Glad to hear you are almost done with the combination! Hopefully your liver enzymes will be within the correct range soon and you'll be able to get the last dose. It is interesting how you are slotted to have 4 doses plus the nivo for 2 years, not sure why my mom was ordered to have more doses, especially when she had nivo after finishing the 4th dose. As we all have said here the itch and all is a good thing, my mom is proof of that! Just hang in there. I will keep you in my thoughts as I do all of the warriors on this board. 

Thanks again for all of the information. I really appreciate everything you have said/done, I know you have followed my moms story since the start. If this ever happens again in the future (which I sure hope it doesn't!) at least I know not to have a full-blown panic and just to give things some time. 

Melissa

debwray
                        Participant

Hi Melissa.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Not surprised you were anxious when you gets phone call like that. IPI as a solo drug was originally given as an initial course followed by maintainance doses every 12 weeks or so. Its given as 3mg per kilo in stage 4 but is fda approved as 10mg per kilo in stage 3 even though adverse effects increase with dose and stage 3 folk have more responsive immune systems as less tumour related suppression. Still lots to learn about the best way to use these treatments,how to sequence them and even tailoring doses to individuals. Your mums doc seems to have wanted to be aggressive in treatment and has taken a view that hitting the cancer hard with both drugs would be of benefit . It does demonstrate IPI has her immune system fired up and hopefully things are getting a bit better by now.

Docs decided to give me another week off treatment to let ast and alt liver tests to get to below 2 times upper limit of normal. So prob last IPI nivo for me week on Monday. It must be hard to manage when side effects are so varied…and can be early or even weeks or months after the drug is finished.

Brest wishes

Deb

debwray
                          Participant

Hi Melissa.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Not surprised you were anxious when you gets phone call like that. IPI as a solo drug was originally given as an initial course followed by maintainance doses every 12 weeks or so. Its given as 3mg per kilo in stage 4 but is fda approved as 10mg per kilo in stage 3 even though adverse effects increase with dose and stage 3 folk have more responsive immune systems as less tumour related suppression. Still lots to learn about the best way to use these treatments,how to sequence them and even tailoring doses to individuals. Your mums doc seems to have wanted to be aggressive in treatment and has taken a view that hitting the cancer hard with both drugs would be of benefit . It does demonstrate IPI has her immune system fired up and hopefully things are getting a bit better by now.

Docs decided to give me another week off treatment to let ast and alt liver tests to get to below 2 times upper limit of normal. So prob last IPI nivo for me week on Monday. It must be hard to manage when side effects are so varied…and can be early or even weeks or months after the drug is finished.

Brest wishes

Deb

debwray
                            Participant

Hi Melissa.

Brest wishes

Deb

Buddy0513
                              Participant

Melissa

debwray
                                Participant

Hi,

A hospital admission as an emergency never feels reassuring, but as you say this is where your Mum will get 24/7 care and monitoring until the docs are convinced the colitis is resolving and the treatment for it is working. Your probiotic sounds fine.. Multi strain and lots of bacteria.

My IPI nivo protocol only has 4 3mg per kg doses in total followed by nivo only for up to 2 years so your Mum has already had more than enough IPI already to get her immune system into attack mode..hence the colitis.. And more nivo will help target her body on attacking the melanoma only..those with strong adverse reactions often have a better percentage response rate..a crumb of comfort for you. When I was considering tne combo was told higher risk of side effects than Pembro monotherapy and a 50% chance of an emergency hospital admission so this is unfortunately not that unusual.

The good scan results remain a fact.. They will get the colitis under control as experience in managing these things has grown. The docs know what works and when and if treatment escalation is needed.  You know what to query if things aren't improving fast enough so with abit of luck your Mum will be feeling very different within a few days . The big picture is good.. Treatment working, tumours shrinking..just need to get the pesky side effects under control and your medical team seem to be making moves by the book so am very hopeful that your mum will be much more settled soon. Hold fast and hang on..you know roughly what to expect.. And this does not mean your Mum will not stand a chance of getting a decent response from the combo.

My final IPI nivo combo has been delayed for 1 week as liver results still not down to grade 1_ but at least it will give me a week relatively itch and nausea free and not timed out of the trial…which is to see if docs experienced at managing side effects of combo have fewer high grade immune related adverse events. 

Best wishes to you and your family…try to turn down the panic , take a deep breath and work through it all , one day at a time . 

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                  Participant

Hi,

Best wishes

Deb

Buddy0513
                                    Participant

Deb,

First I want to say thank you for finding all of that information! I just got finished reading through all of it. 

It seems she is more of a "Grade 4", or at least close to it…which still makes me a bit nervous, but I her and I both feel better with the idea that she is at the hospital now getting the care she needs 24/7. As for her treatments, I am not really sure where it will go next. It was just sad since we had finally made a step forward, now it feels as if we made about 20 backwards!

I saw you mentioned the probiotic in the other thread, but it was one I wasn't familiar with. How many strains/billion do you take? My mom currently takes 8 billion, 5 strains, I was trying to get her on one that is stronger, but she has been very nervous about it since when we started with the large tumors and it changed her bowel movements even more than what the tumor was influencing.

I hope your treatments are going well. I check in on this site from time to time, but rarely have time to follow and post since school/work started again. I appreciate your response. Just in full blown panic mode over this!

Buddy0513
                                      Participant

Deb,

ed williams
                                      Participant

Hi Melissa, I have just a little more to add to your research on ipi/nivo toxicity. If you go to the 3:40 mark of the presentation the panel talks about Inflixamab and it's benefit when dealing with diarrhea or colitis. Best Wishes!!!Ed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOAk7i9kmU

ed williams
                                        Participant

Hi Melissa, I have just a little more to add to your research on ipi/nivo toxicity. If you go to the 3:40 mark of the presentation the panel talks about Inflixamab and it's benefit when dealing with diarrhea or colitis. Best Wishes!!!Ed  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOAk7i9kmU

ed williams
                                          Participant

Buddy0513
                                              Participant

Thanks for posting this Ed. That is interesting how they mention that Inflixamab tends to work usually in one dose, but what I find a bit unusual is right away they put my mom on high prednisone. Inflixamab was never really mentioned as an option…my mom has been seeing a fill in doctor since her melanoma specialist has been out of the office these past few days (of course right around the time this all started!), but I am definitely going to have her ask about this for future reference.

Melissa

Buddy0513
                                                Participant

Thanks for posting this Ed. That is interesting how they mention that Inflixamab tends to work usually in one dose, but what I find a bit unusual is right away they put my mom on high prednisone. Inflixamab was never really mentioned as an option…my mom has been seeing a fill in doctor since her melanoma specialist has been out of the office these past few days (of course right around the time this all started!), but I am definitely going to have her ask about this for future reference.

Melissa

Buddy0513
                                                  Participant

Melissa

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics