The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi/Nivi 2 doses then stopped due to Grade 4 AEs

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi/Nivi 2 doses then stopped due to Grade 4 AEs

Participant
      October 2017 two consecutive doses of Combi, stopped due elevated Liver enzymes . Treated with high dose steroids followed by another 2 immunosuppressive drugs, course lasted approximately 6 months. To date no other treatment.
      Scan today showed NED, which highlights you don’t always need lots of doses of these drugs, also immunosuppressants for AEs don’t prevent drug efficiency.
      My primary was removed in 2001, became stage 4 2017, Mets to lung Liver and neck Lymph-node.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Sorry for your difficulties on ipi/nivo, Gerry!!! But what a wonderful outcome!!! Thanks so much for sharing! You are living proof of all the data research has been telling us!!!

First – lots of folks are unable to complete all the recommended doses of ipi/nivo due to side effects – BUT – efficacy is about the same for them as it is for folks who DO complete the series. Here’s the research: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/40-of-melanoma-patients-stop-ipinivo.html

Second – while none of want to take prednisone or other immune suppressing drugs if we don’t have to – treating side effects caused by immunotherapy saves lives, allows some folks to continue therapy, and has been found NOT to suppress a response to that therapy!!! A lot of that data is included in this report: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2018/02/for-jubesand-rest-of-us-anti-rheumatic.html

However, all the reports in the world do not hold a candle to the real life experience you have shared! Congrats!! I wish you my best. Celeste

GerryG
            Participant
              Celeste thank you so much for your response,. I have followed your blog since my diagnosis back in September 2017, as we all know positive stories are always welcome.
            lkb
            Participant
              Hooray for NED on your scan. Good news always encourages me–thanks!
                GerryG
                Participant
                  Thank you so much for your comment. In the early days I would scan the internet for a bit of hope and light in all the bleakness ….My personal opinion is , there is a lot of light, but generally peeps don’t share, not realising the huge difference a small comment of positivity can have on a community looking for hope.. The melanoma journey is not a sprint but a marathon, and difficult doesn’t mean impossible …
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics