The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi Clarification

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi Clarification

Participant

I dont know when or how but now I'm a little confused on the Ipi progression….

Isn't it that the yervoy itself works late? or the side effects come late etc?

I'm on my 2nd infusion and my visible palpable tumors in soft tissue areas are smaller…..just not looking for false hope lol.

Matt

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

People respond differently to ipi. Some respond quickly and others may respond after a delay of weeks. Some have very few side effects and others have significant struggles with side effects.  I suspect you know your body well enough to know when tumors are smaller. Fingers crossed that you are responding early and well.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

People respond differently to ipi. Some respond quickly and others may respond after a delay of weeks. Some have very few side effects and others have significant struggles with side effects.  I suspect you know your body well enough to know when tumors are smaller. Fingers crossed that you are responding early and well.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

BrianP
              Participant

Hey Matt,

That's one of those where I wouldn't try to read too much into it but it certainly does sound pretty darn good.  I remember seeing the below post recently with a couple people relaying similar stories to your's.  I think it is possible to have a pretty quick response to Ipi but also not uncommon to have a delayed response.  Like Tim said, everyone is different.

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ipi-working-after-first-dose

BrianP
                Participant

Hey Matt,

That's one of those where I wouldn't try to read too much into it but it certainly does sound pretty darn good.  I remember seeing the below post recently with a couple people relaying similar stories to your's.  I think it is possible to have a pretty quick response to Ipi but also not uncommon to have a delayed response.  Like Tim said, everyone is different.

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ipi-working-after-first-dose

BrianP
                  Participant

Hey Matt,

Ginger8888
                    Participant

I just finished Yervoy Aug 13th and won't have my scans until Sept 17 so i don't know if it's working for me or not..I didn't have any side effects with it though..Good luck!

Ginger8888
                      Participant

I just finished Yervoy Aug 13th and won't have my scans until Sept 17 so i don't know if it's working for me or not..I didn't have any side effects with it though..Good luck!

Ginger8888
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hi Matt,

My husband was on Ipi/GM-CSF clinical trial and we watched his sub-q's shrink.  He was Stage IV and is now NED.  He had few side effects.  If you would like to read more about his story then check out his profile.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hi Matt,

My husband was on Ipi/GM-CSF clinical trial and we watched his sub-q's shrink.  He was Stage IV and is now NED.  He had few side effects.  If you would like to read more about his story then check out his profile.

Gene_S
                              Participant

Hi Matt,

Patina
                                Participant

Hi Matt,

My Mom was diagnosed at stage IV and had about 18 tumors on her scalp, 1 on her neck and  behind her ear, 2 in her lungs, and 1 in her liver, kidney and adrenal gland.  She also had 9 brain tumors when she had her fist treatment.  Treatment started with gamma knife radiation for the brain tumors (8 were treated, 1 was thought to be a blood vessel), this was followed by ipi/Yervoy 4 days later.

Like you , she had them in areas where you could see and feel them.  I think, in some cases, that this makes you and her very lucky because you know that something is happening sooner than most.  Her doctor wouldn't say anything was working for a long time. (Basically when the scalp tumors could not be felt anymore. Just color residue remained. Today her scalp is pink and you can only see the white holes where the punch holes were made…) Her doctor didn't  want to give us false hope like you and say it was working, which I understand. But boy did we think he was "crazy" not to say it. – The tumors shrank that much in the first 6 weeks…

My Mom did end up getting more brain tumors, but they were treated in April at USC in LA.  Right now, you would never know that she had anything on her scalp and the scans that she's taken since stopping Yervoy and the last gamma knife treatment are all clear of anything new and the tumors in her trunk are smaller or look like calcium deposit rather than active cancer…. She was one lucky lady!

Her doctor kind of kicked himself for not taking photos of her head when she started Yervoy. And we didn't think about it at first.  Then the tumors were getting so small that we didn't bother since we figured they'd be gone soon…. We wish we'd taken photos. – If you haven't you might…

Anyway, I think it would safe to say that you may very well be responding like my Mom did. You won't know for some time to what extent you've responded, but maybe you'll have a response like hers.  She's doing really well and her doctor is pretty sure that she is going to have a durable response to ipi because her body reacted to it so well.  We still need to watch the brain, but based on whats happened so far I think it would be safe to say that she is well well well out of any danger here.

Hope this helps you. It sounds all good so far.

PS

One thing my Mom mentioned was that the tumors got firmer too. This came along with the tingling. Has anything similar happened to you?  Oh, and one tumor seemed to come back and receded a few times before disappearing.

Patina
                                  Participant

Hi Matt,

My Mom was diagnosed at stage IV and had about 18 tumors on her scalp, 1 on her neck and  behind her ear, 2 in her lungs, and 1 in her liver, kidney and adrenal gland.  She also had 9 brain tumors when she had her fist treatment.  Treatment started with gamma knife radiation for the brain tumors (8 were treated, 1 was thought to be a blood vessel), this was followed by ipi/Yervoy 4 days later.

Like you , she had them in areas where you could see and feel them.  I think, in some cases, that this makes you and her very lucky because you know that something is happening sooner than most.  Her doctor wouldn't say anything was working for a long time. (Basically when the scalp tumors could not be felt anymore. Just color residue remained. Today her scalp is pink and you can only see the white holes where the punch holes were made…) Her doctor didn't  want to give us false hope like you and say it was working, which I understand. But boy did we think he was "crazy" not to say it. – The tumors shrank that much in the first 6 weeks…

My Mom did end up getting more brain tumors, but they were treated in April at USC in LA.  Right now, you would never know that she had anything on her scalp and the scans that she's taken since stopping Yervoy and the last gamma knife treatment are all clear of anything new and the tumors in her trunk are smaller or look like calcium deposit rather than active cancer…. She was one lucky lady!

Her doctor kind of kicked himself for not taking photos of her head when she started Yervoy. And we didn't think about it at first.  Then the tumors were getting so small that we didn't bother since we figured they'd be gone soon…. We wish we'd taken photos. – If you haven't you might…

Anyway, I think it would safe to say that you may very well be responding like my Mom did. You won't know for some time to what extent you've responded, but maybe you'll have a response like hers.  She's doing really well and her doctor is pretty sure that she is going to have a durable response to ipi because her body reacted to it so well.  We still need to watch the brain, but based on whats happened so far I think it would be safe to say that she is well well well out of any danger here.

PS

One thing my Mom mentioned was that the tumors got firmer too. This came along with the tingling. Has anything similar happened to you?  Oh, and one tumor seemed to come back and receded a few times before disappearing.

Patina
                                    Participant

Hi Matt,

PS

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics