The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Introducing Myself

Forums General Melanoma Community Introducing Myself

Participant

Hello, my name is DianaD.  I'm a 57 year old female, living in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  I have a mole on my back with all of the ABCDE characteristics.  Also, ten years ago, I had moles removed from my chest that were biopsied and that were dysplastic.  And, on the exact site where the current suspicious mole is located, I had two skin tags removed.  Finally, I have an uncle that died from melanoma. 

I have an appointment with my primary care physician on Thurs., 7/30/15; he is going to look at the mole and give me a referral to dermatology at the University of Michigan Healthcare Center at that time.  I've already sent my physician photographs of the mole, along with my history, and he agrees that the mole is worrisome.  

I'm glad that I found this forum. 

Thank you, 

DianaD

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        rabbits68
        Participant

Just to let you know I will be praying for you as you wait to get this mole looked at.  I know how anxious I get waiting for the results of scans, biopsies, etc.  My friend always reminds me to "wait to worry". Although my diagnosis was in 2012, I have just joined this group in the last few months. It has been a great experience connecting with and reading the stories of hope and encouragement. 

rabbits68
          Participant

Just to let you know I will be praying for you as you wait to get this mole looked at.  I know how anxious I get waiting for the results of scans, biopsies, etc.  My friend always reminds me to "wait to worry". Although my diagnosis was in 2012, I have just joined this group in the last few months. It has been a great experience connecting with and reading the stories of hope and encouragement. 

DianaD
              Participant

Thank you for your prayers–I appreciate them!

DianaD
                Participant

DianaD
                  Participant

rabbits68
                  Participant

brewgirl68
                    Participant

Hello from Grand Rapids! I will be praying for and thinking of you.  Please try to avoid Dr. Google – he only gives bad news. Keep us posted on how your situation develops.

Peace and blessings – 

Sheila

DianaD
                        Participant

Thank you, Sheila.  I only use reputable medical sites, but I do have to avoid self-diagnosing and jumping to conclusions.  

Thank you for your prayers and good thoughts. 

I will let you know what the diagnosis is. 

DianaD
                          Participant

Thank you, Sheila.  I only use reputable medical sites, but I do have to avoid self-diagnosing and jumping to conclusions.  

DianaD
                            Participant

brewgirl68
                            Participant

Hello from Grand Rapids! I will be praying for and thinking of you.  Please try to avoid Dr. Google – he only gives bad news. Keep us posted on how your situation develops.

Peace and blessings – 

Sheila

brewgirl68
                              Participant

Peace and blessings – 

Sheila

ldub
                                Participant

Good Luck Diana – please let us know how it turns out.  Lets hope that it is nothing.  I decided to go to the UM Dermatology Skin Cancer Follow Up Clinic after being diagnosed with melanoma in situ in February this year.  Also had my WLE at the UM Melanoma Clinic/Cancer Center after my initial diagnosis.   I feel like I get very good care there and now that I am going to the follow up clinic, I get extra fun with two exams every follow up – since they have residents!

ldub
                                  Participant

Good Luck Diana – please let us know how it turns out.  Lets hope that it is nothing.  I decided to go to the UM Dermatology Skin Cancer Follow Up Clinic after being diagnosed with melanoma in situ in February this year.  Also had my WLE at the UM Melanoma Clinic/Cancer Center after my initial diagnosis.   I feel like I get very good care there and now that I am going to the follow up clinic, I get extra fun with two exams every follow up – since they have residents!

ldub
                                    Participant

DianaD
                                        Participant

Thank you.  I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with your care at U of M.  I have had mixed experiences there, with other health issues. 

I did ask my primary care physician today whethr he can refer me direclty to the Melanoma Clinic at the U of M Cancer Center, for the biopsy. 

I'm still waiting for him to respond (through his electronic portal).  The answer is probably "no," bit I figured that it doesn't hurt to ask. 

DianaD
                                          Participant

Thank you.  I'm glad to hear that you are pleased with your care at U of M.  I have had mixed experiences there, with other health issues. 

I did ask my primary care physician today whethr he can refer me direclty to the Melanoma Clinic at the U of M Cancer Center, for the biopsy. 

I'm still waiting for him to respond (through his electronic portal).  The answer is probably "no," bit I figured that it doesn't hurt to ask. 

DianaD
                                            Participant

Janner
                                            Participant

Remember, this could still be dysplastic too – it doesn't have to be melanoma.  Even with all the characteristics, the outward appearance is NOT a diagnosis!

Janner
                                              Participant

Remember, this could still be dysplastic too – it doesn't have to be melanoma.  Even with all the characteristics, the outward appearance is NOT a diagnosis!

DianaD
                                                  Participant

Yes, I understand that the biopsy is the only way to get a definite diagnosis.  It's just that this mole or moles (it's either two moles close together or one mole that's divided) looks so much worse than the dysplastic ones did, and I'm worried by the fact that it grew where I had "skin tags" removed.  The primary care doctor who removed the supposed skin tags did not send them for biopsy.  They were gray in color–not the color of my skin tone.  I'm now wondering if the skin tags should have been biopsied, along with the two moles that were removed from my chest at the same time.  (BTW, I now have a different primary care doctor).   You can see that I'm a worrier.  My philosopy is "Hope for the best, but plan for the worse." 

DianaD
                                                    Participant

Yes, I understand that the biopsy is the only way to get a definite diagnosis.  It's just that this mole or moles (it's either two moles close together or one mole that's divided) looks so much worse than the dysplastic ones did, and I'm worried by the fact that it grew where I had "skin tags" removed.  The primary care doctor who removed the supposed skin tags did not send them for biopsy.  They were gray in color–not the color of my skin tone.  I'm now wondering if the skin tags should have been biopsied, along with the two moles that were removed from my chest at the same time.  (BTW, I now have a different primary care doctor).   You can see that I'm a worrier.  My philosopy is "Hope for the best, but plan for the worse." 

DianaD
                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                      Participant

_Paul_
                                                        Participant

Hi Diana,

At this point you have done your due diligence, everything you can, and you are doing the right things. Getting a referral to a dermatologist for a biopsy is exactly right. So worrying is going to buy you nothing at all and can only make your quality of life worse. I know that's easy to say and hard to implement, but it really works for me (although I have had a little more time to practice! :).

I hope it turns out to be nothing and you can forget about this scare and have a great life.

– Paul.

_Paul_
                                                          Participant

Hi Diana,

At this point you have done your due diligence, everything you can, and you are doing the right things. Getting a referral to a dermatologist for a biopsy is exactly right. So worrying is going to buy you nothing at all and can only make your quality of life worse. I know that's easy to say and hard to implement, but it really works for me (although I have had a little more time to practice! :).

I hope it turns out to be nothing and you can forget about this scare and have a great life.

– Paul.

DianaD
                                                              Participant

Thank you, Paul.  I see my primary doc tomorrow for the referral for the biopsy.  I hope that I don't have to wait too long for the biopsy appointment. 

DianaD
                                                                Participant

Thank you, Paul.  I see my primary doc tomorrow for the referral for the biopsy.  I hope that I don't have to wait too long for the biopsy appointment. 

DianaD
                                                                  Participant

_Paul_
                                                                  Participant

Hi Diana,

– Paul.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics