The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interpreting PET/CT Report Language

Forums General Melanoma Community Interpreting PET/CT Report Language

Participant

My dad had a PET/CT back in October, and I just found the report buried among copious blood test results in his online medical record. I should preface this by saying that at the time of this scan, he had just completed two infusions of Ipi and has since done four infusions of Keytruda. We've seen some reduction in the smaller tumors on his leg (the smallest has virtually disappeared), and he will be re-scanned in three weeks.

However, on this scan from October, I found the following notes in the "Findings" and in the 'Impressions' sections and I'm not sure what they mean:

"Heterogeneous non-hypermetabolic 2.2 x 1.8 cm hypodensity in the midpole of the right kidney which cannot be characterized as a simple cyst."

"Heterogeneous non-hypermetabolic right renal lesion not well characterized on prior CTAC worrisome for primary renal neoplasm.  Melanoma metastasis is considered less likely given the lack of hypermetabolic activity as seen with the other melanoma metastases."

Does this suggest that he has a new, non-melanoma cancerous tumor on his kidney, or does it suggest that it is a new and different melanoma primary? The doctors know that dad doesn't want much detail on the disease, so what we were told at the time was that there was some growth of his lung mestasteses, which was a good thing in our minds as it allowed us to move to Keytruda, but this kidney business was never discussed.

Logically, I know that I shouldn't worry too much about it at this point since we're due for a new scan soon, but I'd just like a little clarification if possible.

Thanks so much!

Elaine

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

So it sounds like there is some type of lesion on the kidney that doesn't show metabolic uptake like all the other melanoma lesions – hence they are saying it isn't melanoma.  But it is possible it is a primary kidney cancer.  My father had a similar experience with previously diagnosed melanoma and then lung tumors which appeared more like primary lung cancer than melanoma mets.  He had a biopsy to confirm and he did indeed have another type of cancer.

The one interesting thing about renal cancer is that RCC and melanoma often use the same type of drugs.  Neither respond to chemo well and both seem to do better with immunotherapy.  But if the tumor in the kidney isn't showing metabolic uptake, then it isn't all that active and probably not nearly as worrisome as the active melanoma tumors.  They are the bigger worry.  That's just what I am reading from this — but you'd really need to talk to his doctor to get the professional interpretation.

JustMeInCA
            Participant

Ugh! Thanks, Janner. I was wondering why it wouldn't show uptake, so I guess that would be a good thing, as would your suggestion that the Keytruda might also help a potential renal cancer lesion. Once we get his PET/CT results next month, I'll see what they say. 

I very much appreciate your input!

Elaine

JustMeInCA
              Participant

Ugh! Thanks, Janner. I was wondering why it wouldn't show uptake, so I guess that would be a good thing, as would your suggestion that the Keytruda might also help a potential renal cancer lesion. Once we get his PET/CT results next month, I'll see what they say. 

Elaine

JustMeInCA
                Participant

Elaine

Janner
                Participant

So it sounds like there is some type of lesion on the kidney that doesn't show metabolic uptake like all the other melanoma lesions – hence they are saying it isn't melanoma.  But it is possible it is a primary kidney cancer.  My father had a similar experience with previously diagnosed melanoma and then lung tumors which appeared more like primary lung cancer than melanoma mets.  He had a biopsy to confirm and he did indeed have another type of cancer.

The one interesting thing about renal cancer is that RCC and melanoma often use the same type of drugs.  Neither respond to chemo well and both seem to do better with immunotherapy.  But if the tumor in the kidney isn't showing metabolic uptake, then it isn't all that active and probably not nearly as worrisome as the active melanoma tumors.  They are the bigger worry.  That's just what I am reading from this — but you'd really need to talk to his doctor to get the professional interpretation.

Janner
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics