The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Intermittent Treatment With Vemurafenib ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Intermittent Treatment With Vemurafenib ?

Participant
      Hello all!
      Friends , we need your advice.
      As I said , we are self-treatment my Mom. In our city treated melanoma still with chemotherapy.
      Mom started taking Zelboraf with November 2013 . Had a lot of side effects. After 5 weeks of treatment ( 8 tablets , then 6 , then 4 ) mom took a break of 12 days. It seemed to her that the tumor began to grow. Then again began to accept : a few days 8 tablets , 6 … 4 … After 18 days of receiving again took a break …
      Swollen hands . Under the skin on the palms have air bubbles as the after burn . Mom does not go out into the street. Fell eyebrows and hair began to fall .
      I read a lot about taking Zelborafa with pauses . 4 weeks + 2 week break . 4 weeks &4 weeks .
      Does anyone have experience of receiving it Zelborafa with pauses ? Share your story !
      Can 8 tablets is too much weight to 62 kg = 137 lbs?
      Reading the forum , there was one more question: When you receive combo drugs are taken without pause?
      Who first took Zelboraf and then Combo – why you switched to a combo ?

Thank you!
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        GAngel
        Participant

Hello Golda,

My husband, Rudy, has taken Zelboraf and had to reduce the dosage from 8 tabs to 6 tabs a day. He also did intermittent dosing of 2 weeks on 1 week off as well as alternating weeks for a month or so.   He had great results on Zelboraf (see profile for details) but due to severe side effects he switched to the GSK combo because of reports that the combo had fewer side effects and a longer duration of effectiveness.

Rudy’s last scans revealed that he has no evidence of disease (NED).  He is still on the combo and has not had a dose reduction to date. However, he did take a two-week break recently and he may soon lower the dose and take intermittently.  He will be discussing those options with his doctor at his next appointment in a couple of weeks. 

I hope this information is useful to you and your mom. I cannot advise as to  whether 8 tablets a day is too much for your mom at 137 lbs. as everyone is different and I am not qualified to give such advise. Is the GSK combo available where you live? You may want to consider it for your mom. 

I will be praying for you both as you fight this war with her against this dreaded disease! 

God Bless you and yours!  

Gina (wife to Rudy, Stage IV, presently NED)

Golda_
            Participant
              Hello, Gina,

Thank you very much for your answer. This proved very useful! !

I'm happy for your husband! Excellent results! Keep it up! This story is inspiring.

I would like to ask more – if zelboraf low doses is effective – whether it even take ? For example , 4-6 tablets. I read on this forum that the option Combo – is a fallback ? When Zelboraf is no longer valid ?
              Combo drugs registered , we will be able to buy them. Unfortunately, Ukraine has no place in clinical trials ( 6 persons) for Zelboraf , and Combo -existent not. Health insurance is not become widespread . But Mom want to live ! I would want that granddaughter (3 years) remembered her grandmother .

I would like to ask you to keep in touch with me via e-mail. vasyuk.alina@gmail. com How are things at your husband, what medications he takes..

Thank you for your prayers !
              I pray every night , all forum users in my prayers .

Alina
              Golda_
              Participant
                Hello, Gina,

I'm happy for your husband! Excellent results! Keep it up! This story is inspiring.

I would like to ask more – if zelboraf low doses is effective – whether it even take ? For example , 4-6 tablets. I read on this forum that the option Combo – is a fallback ? When Zelboraf is no longer valid ?
                Combo drugs registered , we will be able to buy them. Unfortunately, Ukraine has no place in clinical trials ( 6 persons) for Zelboraf , and Combo -existent not. Health insurance is not become widespread . But Mom want to live ! I would want that granddaughter (3 years) remembered her grandmother .

I would like to ask you to keep in touch with me via e-mail. vasyuk.alina@gmail. com How are things at your husband, what medications he takes..

Alina
                Golda_
                Participant
                  Hello, Gina,

Alina
                GAngel
                Participant

Hello Golda,

My husband, Rudy, has taken Zelboraf and had to reduce the dosage from 8 tabs to 6 tabs a day. He also did intermittent dosing of 2 weeks on 1 week off as well as alternating weeks for a month or so.   He had great results on Zelboraf (see profile for details) but due to severe side effects he switched to the GSK combo because of reports that the combo had fewer side effects and a longer duration of effectiveness.

Rudy’s last scans revealed that he has no evidence of disease (NED).  He is still on the combo and has not had a dose reduction to date. However, he did take a two-week break recently and he may soon lower the dose and take intermittently.  He will be discussing those options with his doctor at his next appointment in a couple of weeks. 

I hope this information is useful to you and your mom. I cannot advise as to  whether 8 tablets a day is too much for your mom at 137 lbs. as everyone is different and I am not qualified to give such advise. Is the GSK combo available where you live? You may want to consider it for your mom. 

I will be praying for you both as you fight this war with her against this dreaded disease! 

God Bless you and yours!  

GAngel
                  Participant

Hello Golda,

God Bless you and yours!  

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics