The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

INTERLEUKIN-12

Forums General Melanoma Community INTERLEUKIN-12

Participant

Hi,

Has anyone used this drug and what have you heard about this treatment?  I am going to see a Doctor who has tried this vaccine on patients and I don't know much about it.  

I believe this is an alternative option for Stage III Melanoma.

Thanks for any input.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        geriakt
        Participant

Interluken 2 is not a vaccine. It is an older drug to boost your immune functions. It is very similar to Interferon. 

Do your research and read up about it as there will be many side effect when on it and you may feel like you have a bad case of the flu.

I wish you the best

Tom

BrianP
            Participant

Tom,

There actually is a IL-12.  Along the same line as IL-2 but not as toxic.  I don't know much about it but I think they are trying it in combination with vaccines and some other things like Ipi or anti-pd1.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19519403

BrianP
              Participant

Tom,

There actually is a IL-12.  Along the same line as IL-2 but not as toxic.  I don't know much about it but I think they are trying it in combination with vaccines and some other things like Ipi or anti-pd1.

BrianP
                Participant

Tom,

geriakt
                Participant

Interluken 2 is not a vaccine. It is an older drug to boost your immune functions. It is very similar to Interferon. 

Do your research and read up about it as there will be many side effect when on it and you may feel like you have a bad case of the flu.

I wish you the best

Tom

geriakt
                  Participant

I wish you the best

Tom

Polymath
                    Participant

Hello Anon,

I am currently in a trial where IL-12 is injected directly into sub-cutaneous tumors.  I don't think its a vaccine. It is a naturally occurring compound found in the body.  But the intent is to illicit a systemic immune response. It is a form of immunotherapy (similar to the T-Vec trials).  This trial uses the IL-12 injected directly into tumor then immediately followed by electroporation (electric shock) directly at tumor site, and it supposed to make the tumor more absorbent.  It's a rather unpleasant procedure, but no particular lasting pain afterwards.

I get my first follow-up scans next week which will determine whether I am responding to the treatment.  I have my doubts, but perhaps its still too soon to say.

Aloha,  Gary

Polymath
                      Participant

Hello Anon,

I am currently in a trial where IL-12 is injected directly into sub-cutaneous tumors.  I don't think its a vaccine. It is a naturally occurring compound found in the body.  But the intent is to illicit a systemic immune response. It is a form of immunotherapy (similar to the T-Vec trials).  This trial uses the IL-12 injected directly into tumor then immediately followed by electroporation (electric shock) directly at tumor site, and it supposed to make the tumor more absorbent.  It's a rather unpleasant procedure, but no particular lasting pain afterwards.

I get my first follow-up scans next week which will determine whether I am responding to the treatment.  I have my doubts, but perhaps its still too soon to say.

Aloha,  Gary

Polymath
                        Participant

Hello Anon,

Aloha,  Gary

Bubbles
                          Participant

I thought I had an article about IL 12, but can't find it just yet. Brian is right about it. I do have this on intralesional therapy and IL 2….if it helps.

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/05/asco-2015-intralesional-therapy-for.html

Wishing you all my best. C

Bubbles
                            Participant

I thought I had an article about IL 12, but can't find it just yet. Brian is right about it. I do have this on intralesional therapy and IL 2….if it helps.

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/05/asco-2015-intralesional-therapy-for.html

Bubbles
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics