The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon treatment #1

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon treatment #1

Participant

well, no nausea, but I have chills, headache and very much fatigue. I wanted to know if everyone who has interferon has to be stuck with a new iv everyday?   I am afraid I will run out of good veins.

/

well, no nausea, but I have chills, headache and very much fatigue. I wanted to know if everyone who has interferon has to be stuck with a new iv everyday?   I am afraid I will run out of good veins.

/

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lauri England
        Participant

I just completed 11 months of interferon.  That first month I had a port put in so I would not have to get a new IV everyday.  I highly recommend this.  Some others had a pick line done.  There is more potential for infection that way though.  Good luck to you on your treatments.

scots
            Participant

Congrats on finishing the treatment. 

scot

scots
              Participant

Congrats on finishing the treatment. 

scot

Lauri England
              Participant

I just completed 11 months of interferon.  That first month I had a port put in so I would not have to get a new IV everyday.  I highly recommend this.  Some others had a pick line done.  There is more potential for infection that way though.  Good luck to you on your treatments.

Donna M.
                Participant

Will keep my fingers crossed for you that your side effects become milder as time goes on as mine did.  I only had the fever and chills for one night. 

I opted to have a PICC line placed rather than get a new IV everyday.  They can also draw blood from it for those twice a week blood tests, so there are no "sticks" at all.  You might want to look into that.  It was a very simple procedure to have it placed, the only downside is that you can't get it wet.  If you do decide to do the PICC line, check out the protector that I use to keep it dry.  You can find it at drycorp.com. 

Feel better!

Donna M.

Donna M.
                  Participant

Will keep my fingers crossed for you that your side effects become milder as time goes on as mine did.  I only had the fever and chills for one night. 

I opted to have a PICC line placed rather than get a new IV everyday.  They can also draw blood from it for those twice a week blood tests, so there are no "sticks" at all.  You might want to look into that.  It was a very simple procedure to have it placed, the only downside is that you can't get it wet.  If you do decide to do the PICC line, check out the protector that I use to keep it dry.  You can find it at drycorp.com. 

Feel better!

Donna M.

scots
                    Participant

I'm 9 months into Interferon.   I had a pic line inserted every Monday and Removed after Fridays dose was completed.  Good Luck, I hope everything goes well for you.

scot

scots
                      Participant

I'm 9 months into Interferon.   I had a pic line inserted every Monday and Removed after Fridays dose was completed.  Good Luck, I hope everything goes well for you.

scot

vickykay
                          Participant

Thank you, I love having a place where I can get answers that I need.

vickykay
                            Participant

Thank you, I love having a place where I can get answers that I need.

dian in spokane
                            Participant

Vicki,

I had a fresh stick every day, except ….I did my infusion during the holidays, so a couple of times I had to have a picc line inserted, then get my infusion at the hospital, since the clinic was closed. I'll tell you that my skin is so sensitive that the picc line drove me nuts. I hated it. I know others who've had a port inserted, and maybe that is better, but I was happy to just have a fresh stick. plus.. in the 8 yrs since then, I've had many many IV's and blood draws and never run out of veins. AND…since my left arm is a 'no stick' arm, all of these things have happend on my right arm.

Drink a lot of water and it will help them get into those veins. You'll need to be drinking a lot anyway with the interferon, which dries out your whole system

Good luck! hope this month goes by quickly for you.

dian in spokane

dian in spokane
                              Participant

Vicki,

I had a fresh stick every day, except ….I did my infusion during the holidays, so a couple of times I had to have a picc line inserted, then get my infusion at the hospital, since the clinic was closed. I'll tell you that my skin is so sensitive that the picc line drove me nuts. I hated it. I know others who've had a port inserted, and maybe that is better, but I was happy to just have a fresh stick. plus.. in the 8 yrs since then, I've had many many IV's and blood draws and never run out of veins. AND…since my left arm is a 'no stick' arm, all of these things have happend on my right arm.

Drink a lot of water and it will help them get into those veins. You'll need to be drinking a lot anyway with the interferon, which dries out your whole system

Good luck! hope this month goes by quickly for you.

dian in spokane

patobs01
                                Participant

I had high dose interfon treatments everyday for 30 days. I had a port put it and it was worth it. No pain or issues with the port, but made the treatments very easy. Sorry about the chills and nausea – I experienced those too. Once I saw the pattern, I would come home from treatment and get a little done around the house while I felt OK, then take a hot bath to deal with the chills and rest for the afternoon watching TV – only time in my life I was able to watch Oprah every day as was usually at work! Take care – I know you may experience a lot of side effects, but you can do it!

Patricia, stage IIIA

patobs01
                                  Participant

I had high dose interfon treatments everyday for 30 days. I had a port put it and it was worth it. No pain or issues with the port, but made the treatments very easy. Sorry about the chills and nausea – I experienced those too. Once I saw the pattern, I would come home from treatment and get a little done around the house while I felt OK, then take a hot bath to deal with the chills and rest for the afternoon watching TV – only time in my life I was able to watch Oprah every day as was usually at work! Take care – I know you may experience a lot of side effects, but you can do it!

Patricia, stage IIIA

triciad
                                    Participant

Hang in there…the first nights are the roughest.  I opted to get a fresh line every day.  It was just easier for me, but you need to do what is best for you.  Make sure you drink lots of water and sleep as much as possible.  Best of luck with the rest of your treatments!

Tricia

triciad
                                      Participant

Hang in there…the first nights are the roughest.  I opted to get a fresh line every day.  It was just easier for me, but you need to do what is best for you.  Make sure you drink lots of water and sleep as much as possible.  Best of luck with the rest of your treatments!

Tricia

awg
                                        Participant

I am about 30 days our form the daily infusions. I had a port placed for my infusions. The chemo center may allow your to keep your IV in place for up to 3 days depending on their policy, you may want to ask if this is an option at your facility.

Best wishes your way,

Allen

Stage III

awg
                                          Participant

I am about 30 days our form the daily infusions. I had a port placed for my infusions. The chemo center may allow your to keep your IV in place for up to 3 days depending on their policy, you may want to ask if this is an option at your facility.

Best wishes your way,

Allen

Stage III

bluepeople
                                            Participant

For my husband they put a new port in weekly.  They put it in on monday and took it out on friday.  He had pretty much the same symptoms as you.  DUring the HD, he ended up working just 5 hour days but went back to a normal work schedule once the LD started. 

bluepeople
                                              Participant

For my husband they put a new port in weekly.  They put it in on monday and took it out on friday.  He had pretty much the same symptoms as you.  DUring the HD, he ended up working just 5 hour days but went back to a normal work schedule once the LD started. 

Donna M.
                                                Participant

Just to further clarify my experience, my PICC line was placed on August 22 and has been there ever since.  There is no need to remove it, only change the dressing weekly (unless it gets wet).

Hope you're doing well through these first few days of treatment.  =)

Donna M.

Donna M.
                                                  Participant

Just to further clarify my experience, my PICC line was placed on August 22 and has been there ever since.  There is no need to remove it, only change the dressing weekly (unless it gets wet).

Hope you're doing well through these first few days of treatment.  =)

Donna M.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics