The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon – side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon – side effects

Participant

My mom had this stage III melanoma, that reached 1 off the limphs. She already had the surgery to remove it and the limphs.

Now the doctor want her to use the interferon, and I've readen a lot about it, and would like to know about people that used it, about the side effects

Thank u very much

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Hi Camila –   It sounds like your mom is doing well so far.  Good!  The decision to do interferon is not an easy one.  The research on its effectiveness is not perfectly clear, but leans in the direction of it not being very effective. However, many people feel that doing something is better than the alternative of just being monitored.

The effects are so different for each person.  Some people have really bad side effects while others are fine.  If she decides to do interferon and the side effects are too bad she can always quit.  

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Hi Camila –   It sounds like your mom is doing well so far.  Good!  The decision to do interferon is not an easy one.  The research on its effectiveness is not perfectly clear, but leans in the direction of it not being very effective. However, many people feel that doing something is better than the alternative of just being monitored.

The effects are so different for each person.  Some people have really bad side effects while others are fine.  If she decides to do interferon and the side effects are too bad she can always quit.  

Fen

Fen
            Participant

Fen

jogo
                Participant

As an alternative to interferon there is a clinical trial that compares interferon, 10 mg ipilimumab/Kg body weight , and 3 mg ipi/Kg body weight.  You can see if the trial is still open  to participants in your area.  Your mother has to be NED, no evidence of disease,  to participate.  There are side effects in all of the arms of the trial.  Any participant has to CAREFULLY read the protocol before signing on the the randomized trial.  Read up on the trial, read up on google.  Check this site about the trial, E 1609.  Several members on this site have had an irAE, immune related adverse event.  Good luck to your mom and your family.

Thandster
                  Participant

This trial is not for stage IIIA

Thandster
                    Participant

Thandster
                      Participant

Camila Navarro
                        Participant

Thank for answering, but I dont think that these trials are avaliable for Brazil =(

Camila Navarro
                          Participant

Thank for answering, but I dont think that these trials are avaliable for Brazil =(

Camila Navarro
                            Participant

jogo
                              Participant

As an alternative to interferon there is a clinical trial that compares interferon, 10 mg ipilimumab/Kg body weight , and 3 mg ipi/Kg body weight.  You can see if the trial is still open  to participants in your area.  Your mother has to be NED, no evidence of disease,  to participate.  There are side effects in all of the arms of the trial.  Any participant has to CAREFULLY read the protocol before signing on the the randomized trial.  Read up on the trial, read up on google.  Check this site about the trial, E 1609.  Several members on this site have had an irAE, immune related adverse event.  Good luck to your mom and your family.

jogo
                                Participant

Ginger8888
                                Participant

I did the 30 High dose of interferon and just had some fatigue..It didn't work for me and now i'm doing my last dose of Yervoy on the 13th..good luck, i hope it works and there are little to no side effects..

Camila Navarro
                                    Participant

Hi ginger, thank u for answering. How do u know that it didnt work for u? the disease came back?

Sorry for my bad english, I'm in brazil 

How long did u took interferon?

My mom's doctor says it should be an 2 years treatmant…

=/

Camila Navarro
                                      Participant

Hi ginger, thank u for answering. How do u know that it didnt work for u? the disease came back?

=/

Camila Navarro
                                        Participant

=/

Ginger8888
                                          Participant

Hello, i had scans about a week after i finished interferon and there was still some melanoma found in a lymph node in my neck and i still had one small spot light up in each lung..

Ginger8888
                                            Participant

Hello, i had scans about a week after i finished interferon and there was still some melanoma found in a lymph node in my neck and i still had one small spot light up in each lung..

Ginger8888
                                              Participant

If i had shown some improvement then i would have went on the maintenance dose for 11 months..

Ginger8888
                                                Participant

If i had shown some improvement then i would have went on the maintenance dose for 11 months..

Ginger8888
                                                  Participant

Ginger8888
                                                    Participant

Ginger8888
                                                    Participant

I did the 30 High dose of interferon and just had some fatigue..It didn't work for me and now i'm doing my last dose of Yervoy on the 13th..good luck, i hope it works and there are little to no side effects..

Ginger8888
                                                      Participant

duncan_aus
                                                        Participant

Hi Camila,

I did the 4 week course of high dose interferon (20 infusions).

I felt terrible in the evenings (infusions were mid afternoon). Aches all over, feverish.. I had a lot of trouble sleeping and ended up on Temazepam to sleep. The day after each infusion I felt like I had a hangover and was very very tired. I worked through the first two weeks of the treatment and then had the last two weeks off of work.

I found hot showers were the best and would spend as long as I could in the shower in the evening.

I chose not to go onto the 12month low dose interferon after the high dose treatment.. I tried it for a week and it seemed as bad as the High dose treatment and the evidence for its efficacy seemed quite poor.

Best wishes for your mother and your family with her treatment.

duncan_aus
                                                          Participant

Hi Camila,

I felt terrible in the evenings (infusions were mid afternoon). Aches all over, feverish.. I had a lot of trouble sleeping and ended up on Temazepam to sleep. The day after each infusion I felt like I had a hangover and was very very tired. I worked through the first two weeks of the treatment and then had the last two weeks off of work.

I found hot showers were the best and would spend as long as I could in the shower in the evening.

I chose not to go onto the 12month low dose interferon after the high dose treatment.. I tried it for a week and it seemed as bad as the High dose treatment and the evidence for its efficacy seemed quite poor.

duncan_aus
                                                            Participant

Hi Camila,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics