The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon or Cisplatin and Temozolomide

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Interferon or Cisplatin and Temozolomide

Participant

Father has mucosal melanoma. Had a recurrence after four years from diagnosis. It was removed surgically and now our options are watch and wait or choosing chemo with interferon or Cisplatin and Temozolomide. Anyone else been faced with this decision have any advice? I did ask about ipi but was told there was only one study using it as adjuvant therapy, the dose seemed too high and risky, and it was for those in stage III with a positive lymph node. So oncologist made it sound like it wasn't an option. Thank you to all in advance. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kim K
        Participant

See if he has a C-KIT mutation which is more common with mucosal mel.  If so, there are some inhibitors that may work better.  Personally, I don't think interferon is worth much if anything, especially for mucosal mel which seems to be more resistant to treatment.

Sounds like you are being offered interferon or chemo, neither of which works well, period.  Go for a clinical trial if you can get into one.  Look up clinicaltrials.gov.

You always have a choice, you can get a second opinion, ask questions about newer drugs etc.  You have to be your own advocate with this, not all oncologists stay on top of the rapid advances in melanoma treatment.  Heck, it is hard for us patients – that is a good thing which means there is much going on in the field!

Kim K
          Participant

See if he has a C-KIT mutation which is more common with mucosal mel.  If so, there are some inhibitors that may work better.  Personally, I don't think interferon is worth much if anything, especially for mucosal mel which seems to be more resistant to treatment.

Sounds like you are being offered interferon or chemo, neither of which works well, period.  Go for a clinical trial if you can get into one.  Look up clinicaltrials.gov.

You always have a choice, you can get a second opinion, ask questions about newer drugs etc.  You have to be your own advocate with this, not all oncologists stay on top of the rapid advances in melanoma treatment.  Heck, it is hard for us patients – that is a good thing which means there is much going on in the field!

Kim K
            Participant

mary1233
              Participant

Ashley – my best to your father.

I was diagnosed with mucosal melanoma in late 2012. Like your father, it was removed surgically. I went on the cisplatin and temozolomide therapy for six rounds and am without recurrence at this point. Whether this was due to the surgery or the chemo, they cannot say.

Mucosal melanoma is rare so there is very little information, This therapy is based on a Phase II study out of China where mucosal melanoma is more prevalent than here. It compared treatments for mucosal melanoma patients who had complete resections. The arms were watch only, interferon, or the cisplatin/temozolomide. Look it up – the results for the cisplatin/temozolomide were the most successful.

The treatment had the usual side effects of nausea and fatique – not great but certainly manageable. A friend of mine told me that breathing was another side effect of treatment.

Another thing to consider is that ipi has a very low efficacy rate with mucosal melanoma.

Hope this helps.

Mary

ashleyc
                  Participant

Thank you Mary for your input. I have seen the study its just so hard to decide when its only 1 study and not much else is out there for mucosal. 

As far as the breathing side effect does that mean that they may have trouble breathing?

Also, I haven't come across any articles explaining the efficacy of ipi or pd-1 drugs specifically for mucosal melanoma. Could you possibly refer me to this information?

mary1233
                    Participant

Sorry – did not mean to be flippant. My friend was referring to the fact that I am still alive and healthy.

Mary

mary1233
                      Participant

Sorry – did not mean to be flippant. My friend was referring to the fact that I am still alive and healthy.

Mary

mary1233
                        Participant

Mary

mary1233
                          Participant

http://dermatologytimes.modernmedicine.com/dermatology-times/content/tags/dermatology/ipilimumab-therapy-advanced-mucosal-melanoma-cases-yields?page=full

I am not good at this. If the link does not work it is in the May 28, 2013 Dermatology times issue – Ipilimumab therapy in advanced mucosal melanoma cases yields mixed outcomes.

http://www.cancernetwork.com/smr-2015/nivolumab-shows-promise-mucosal-melanoma

The second link refers to the combination therapy of anti PD-1 and ipilimumab which looks to be more effective.

Things have changed greatly since I had my treatment even though it was just three years ago. There was nothing availabe in immunotherapy for mucosal melanoma in the adjuvant setting. The chemo has kept me going although my oncologist told me that if the cancer returns, immunotherapy will be the option we try first.

The one thing I have learned, as you have also, is that there is almost no information out there. This is so rare that I would not feel safe going anywhere other than a major cancer center. I want an oncologist who has treated mucosal melanoma and who is in on the research so he/she is aware of the results of trials before the results are published. I go to Memorial Sloan Kettering. If I were in your father's position, I would stay within the top 10 of oncology centers in US News and World report. There is a difference.

Hope this helps.

Mary

mary1233
                            Participant

http://dermatologytimes.modernmedicine.com/dermatology-times/content/tags/dermatology/ipilimumab-therapy-advanced-mucosal-melanoma-cases-yields?page=full

I am not good at this. If the link does not work it is in the May 28, 2013 Dermatology times issue – Ipilimumab therapy in advanced mucosal melanoma cases yields mixed outcomes.

The second link refers to the combination therapy of anti PD-1 and ipilimumab which looks to be more effective.

Things have changed greatly since I had my treatment even though it was just three years ago. There was nothing availabe in immunotherapy for mucosal melanoma in the adjuvant setting. The chemo has kept me going although my oncologist told me that if the cancer returns, immunotherapy will be the option we try first.

The one thing I have learned, as you have also, is that there is almost no information out there. This is so rare that I would not feel safe going anywhere other than a major cancer center. I want an oncologist who has treated mucosal melanoma and who is in on the research so he/she is aware of the results of trials before the results are published. I go to Memorial Sloan Kettering. If I were in your father's position, I would stay within the top 10 of oncology centers in US News and World report. There is a difference.

Hope this helps.

Mary

mary1233
                              Participant

Hope this helps.

Mary

ashleyc
                                Participant

Thank you Mary for your input. I have seen the study its just so hard to decide when its only 1 study and not much else is out there for mucosal. 

As far as the breathing side effect does that mean that they may have trouble breathing?

Also, I haven't come across any articles explaining the efficacy of ipi or pd-1 drugs specifically for mucosal melanoma. Could you possibly refer me to this information?

ashleyc
                                  Participant

mary1233
                                  Participant

I was diagnosed with mucosal melanoma in late 2012. Like your father, it was removed surgically. I went on the cisplatin and temozolomide therapy for six rounds and am without recurrence at this point. Whether this was due to the surgery or the chemo, they cannot say.

Mucosal melanoma is rare so there is very little information, This therapy is based on a Phase II study out of China where mucosal melanoma is more prevalent than here. It compared treatments for mucosal melanoma patients who had complete resections. The arms were watch only, interferon, or the cisplatin/temozolomide. Look it up – the results for the cisplatin/temozolomide were the most successful.

The treatment had the usual side effects of nausea and fatique – not great but certainly manageable. A friend of mine told me that breathing was another side effect of treatment.

Another thing to consider is that ipi has a very low efficacy rate with mucosal melanoma.

Hope this helps.

Mary

mary1233
                                    Participant

Hope this helps.

Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics