The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon- missing doses after completing 1 yr treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon- missing doses after completing 1 yr treatment

Participant

Hello friends, 

My 1 year interferon treatment will be completed in 6 weeks. (stage3 melanoma) We have given breaks  in between every 2-3 weeks because of the low blood levels- side effects of interferon. Has anyone experienced this, do your doctors add the missing doses after 1 yr treatment and advise to continue a couple of more months to complete the full 1 yr? Many thanks and take care.. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

The 1 year time frame is somewhat arbitrary.  No, there is no need to extend your time to make up all the doses.  Many people don't even make it the full year because of side effects.  You've put in the time!

EkinIstanbul
            Participant

Thank you! Its been almost 1 year but as I mentioned we couldnt do all the planned doses. One of my doctors said that the European protocol (especially if you lower doses because of the side effects during the treatment) they extend the treatment and complete all the missing doses for the previous year, but yess It's been a very tough year and I am not sure if I can take this a couple of more months. thanks fpr sharing your insight! All the best

EkinIstanbul
              Participant

Thank you! Its been almost 1 year but as I mentioned we couldnt do all the planned doses. One of my doctors said that the European protocol (especially if you lower doses because of the side effects during the treatment) they extend the treatment and complete all the missing doses for the previous year, but yess It's been a very tough year and I am not sure if I can take this a couple of more months. thanks fpr sharing your insight! All the best

EkinIstanbul
                Participant

Janner
                Participant

The 1 year time frame is somewhat arbitrary.  No, there is no need to extend your time to make up all the doses.  Many people don't even make it the full year because of side effects.  You've put in the time!

Janner
                  Participant

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      Interferon is a tough one, isn’t it? I was on Sylatron for about 3 months before I progressed (another in-transit met) and my liver enzymes skyrocketed. My oncologist said at the beginning of the treatment to aim for a year, and then go from there…the year is a guideline. The research studdies on the peginterferon were meant to be a 5 year treatment, but the average length of treatment was a year and a half due to side effects. If you’ve made it this far, you’ve done an amazing job!
                        EkinIstanbul
                        Participant

I use Intron Alpha pen -( 3x10mu)- yess it was a very difficult time for me, experienced most of the side effects- fatigue, depression, loss of apetite and brain fog-  still my blood levels (wbc and ne) are very low and I apply only 2 doses most of the weeks. I think I will not be able to continue to extend the treatment after 1 yr is finished- still 6 weeks to go!! Thanks for sharing your perspective and good luck! Best, Ekin

EkinIstanbul
                          Participant

I use Intron Alpha pen -( 3x10mu)- yess it was a very difficult time for me, experienced most of the side effects- fatigue, depression, loss of apetite and brain fog-  still my blood levels (wbc and ne) are very low and I apply only 2 doses most of the weeks. I think I will not be able to continue to extend the treatment after 1 yr is finished- still 6 weeks to go!! Thanks for sharing your perspective and good luck! Best, Ekin

EkinIstanbul
                            Participant

WithinMySkin
                            Participant
                              Interferon is a tough one, isn’t it? I was on Sylatron for about 3 months before I progressed (another in-transit met) and my liver enzymes skyrocketed. My oncologist said at the beginning of the treatment to aim for a year, and then go from there…the year is a guideline. The research studdies on the peginterferon were meant to be a 5 year treatment, but the average length of treatment was a year and a half due to side effects. If you’ve made it this far, you’ve done an amazing job!
                              WithinMySkin
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics