The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon-induced menopause

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon-induced menopause

Participant

Diagnosed with melanoma in 2015, interferon knocked out my liver (enzymes up past 1200 after a week on high dose, should be 300 max) and I received no further treatment. An ultrasound for an unrelated issue revealed that one of my ovaries is looking worn out and my reproductive system looks "normal for a premenopausal woman". Thing is, I'm 21. I'm pretty sure interferon had something to do with this since I've been having some subtle-but-new signs of something hormonal going on post-chemo, and I can't think of anything else to explain this. High doses can induce menopause after all, and after everything my liver went through, it's conceivable that its ability to break down and remove excess estrogen was impaired, which led to estrogen buildup and ovarian damage (among other symptoms I actually noticed before the ultrasound, that could be attributed to high estrogen levels). So… am I completely off track here? Think it's possible?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hi Katrina,

I don't know if you're off track, but  I had a month of HD INF and it put me into insta-menapause.  It also did a doozy on my liver.  The menapause wasn't too bad, or shocking though as I was 46 at the time. 

I do know if took me a very long time to recover from HD INF. 

Just adding my experience. 

Hope you can get this straightened out with your dr.

Shalom,

Julie

karinaaa
            Participant

If you don't mind elaborating, what was your HD-INF recovery like? How long did it take, what long-lasting symptoms did you have? What's a "very long time" to you?

I'm still dealing with fatigue and chemo brain, it comes and goes. It's only been a year, though (but given that I was only on it for 5 doses, a year still seems excessive). 

karinaaa
              Participant

If you don't mind elaborating, what was your HD-INF recovery like? How long did it take, what long-lasting symptoms did you have? What's a "very long time" to you?

I'm still dealing with fatigue and chemo brain, it comes and goes. It's only been a year, though (but given that I was only on it for 5 doses, a year still seems excessive). 

karinaaa
                Participant

Julie in SoCal
                Participant

Hi Katrina,

I don't know if you're off track, but  I had a month of HD INF and it put me into insta-menapause.  It also did a doozy on my liver.  The menapause wasn't too bad, or shocking though as I was 46 at the time. 

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

Hi Katrina,

Shalom,

Julie

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      I would say this is totally possible. For the 3 months I was on peginterferon (Sylatron) I didn’t have my period (I’m 32). The NP and onc both said I was guaranteed to have hormone/menstrual changes, and lo and behold I did. Im not sure if its liver related or overies/uterus reacting to the drug. Talk to your oncology team about it and let them know what’s up. Hopefully they can work with your OB/GYN to get you back on track!
                        karinaaa
                        Participant

So in your case menstruation came back, right? I'm still menstruating but the reproductive system looks older, and it's been acting a little strange lately. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion – I'll definitely get some more tests done, see an ob/gyn, etc.

karinaaa
                          Participant

So in your case menstruation came back, right? I'm still menstruating but the reproductive system looks older, and it's been acting a little strange lately. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion – I'll definitely get some more tests done, see an ob/gyn, etc.

karinaaa
                            Participant

WithinMySkin
                            Participant
                              I would say this is totally possible. For the 3 months I was on peginterferon (Sylatron) I didn’t have my period (I’m 32). The NP and onc both said I was guaranteed to have hormone/menstrual changes, and lo and behold I did. Im not sure if its liver related or overies/uterus reacting to the drug. Talk to your oncology team about it and let them know what’s up. Hopefully they can work with your OB/GYN to get you back on track!
                              WithinMySkin
                              Participant
                                Gwen in Maine
                                Participant

I did the 1 month of HD interferon/11 months LD when I was 49. I went into menopause instantly, it seemed. I didn't have any of the usual menopause symptoms but it was surprising. I also didn't have any unusual liver problems as a result of the treatment but in your case, it probably didn't help.

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                  Participant

I did the 1 month of HD interferon/11 months LD when I was 49. I went into menopause instantly, it seemed. I didn't have any of the usual menopause symptoms but it was surprising. I also didn't have any unusual liver problems as a result of the treatment but in your case, it probably didn't help.

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                    Participant

Gwen

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics