The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon and ASCO 2016 – for TIm

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon and ASCO 2016 – for TIm

Participant

Dear Tim, 

I appreciate your efforts at ASCO. I do wish you would clarify your reporting in regard to interferon. I cannot, after searching assiduously, find any abstracts, posters or sessions at ASCO 2016 in which data for interferon as an adjuvant in Stage lll melanoma, as the sole agent or as an arm of a trial, is reported. As such, I have posted the only data available (from 2012) in which a "marginally significant" 3% effect is found on overall survival in a large cohort, The study also notes that 37% of patients had to stop due to toxicity.

What specific data are you quoting?  I think it is important because failure to put interferon in its marginal place (Dr. Kirkwood not withstanding) may cost lives and lead to unneeded suffering with minimal to nonexistant benefit. Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tim–MRF

Brent:

My apologies for the delayed response. I was travelling after ASCO for family reasons and that consumed more time than I expected. 

The session that addressed interferon was Sunday morning, and I referenced information from a talk by Dr. Van Akkooi from the Netherlands. I don't have access to the slides but here is an excerpt from his talk:

A recent meta-analysis reported on 17 trials published between 1995 and 2011.76 Adjuvant IFN was associated with a significantly improved disease-free survival (HR 0.83; 95% CI, 0.78–87; p = .00001) and OS (HR 0.91; 95% CI, 0.85–97; p = .003). This translated into an improvement in OS from 46.1% to 49.1% at 5 years and from 37.1% to 39.9% at 10 years. There was no clear evidence that a particular dose or duration of treatment or patient subgroup benefitted differently. However, ulceration status affected IFN benefit on event-free survival and OS. For ulcerated melanoma, IFN increased event-free survival from 26.9% to 32.9% at 5 years and from 20.4% to 27.3% at 10 years

The full article can be found here:

http://meetinglibrary.asco.org/content/159087-176

Basically he cites a meta-analysis that shows 3% benefit in overall survival, but 7% benefits in the sub-population of patients with ulcerated melanoma. I was surprised that these numbers were so high. Given the side effects of interferon, engaging in interferon treatment is still very much a personal decision, in my view. 

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Brent Morris
            Participant

Thank you Tim. I think there were no surprises in the interferon data, It is statistically but not clinically signicant. There are a number of trials combining interferon with other newer agents. I wonder if there is animal data supporting those combinations. Do you know of any?

Brent Morris
              Participant

Thank you Tim. I think there were no surprises in the interferon data, It is statistically but not clinically signicant. There are a number of trials combining interferon with other newer agents. I wonder if there is animal data supporting those combinations. Do you know of any?

Brent Morris
                Participant

Tim–MRF

Brent:

My apologies for the delayed response. I was travelling after ASCO for family reasons and that consumed more time than I expected. 

The session that addressed interferon was Sunday morning, and I referenced information from a talk by Dr. Van Akkooi from the Netherlands. I don't have access to the slides but here is an excerpt from his talk:

A recent meta-analysis reported on 17 trials published between 1995 and 2011.76 Adjuvant IFN was associated with a significantly improved disease-free survival (HR 0.83; 95% CI, 0.78–87; p = .00001) and OS (HR 0.91; 95% CI, 0.85–97; p = .003). This translated into an improvement in OS from 46.1% to 49.1% at 5 years and from 37.1% to 39.9% at 10 years. There was no clear evidence that a particular dose or duration of treatment or patient subgroup benefitted differently. However, ulceration status affected IFN benefit on event-free survival and OS. For ulcerated melanoma, IFN increased event-free survival from 26.9% to 32.9% at 5 years and from 20.4% to 27.3% at 10 years

Basically he cites a meta-analysis that shows 3% benefit in overall survival, but 7% benefits in the sub-population of patients with ulcerated melanoma. I was surprised that these numbers were so high. Given the side effects of interferon, engaging in interferon treatment is still very much a personal decision, in my view. 

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Brent:

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics