The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Interferon Alfa

Forums General Melanoma Community Interferon Alfa

Participant

Looking for patients that are either being currently being treated with interferon alfa or have been on this drug to see how it affects them, it has been recommended that I use this therpy and will go back and see myDr. on Dec 13th to give him my answer.    Any replies would be most appreciated at this time.

Looking for patients that are either being currently being treated with interferon alfa or have been on this drug to see how it affects them, it has been recommended that I use this therpy and will go back and see myDr. on Dec 13th to give him my answer.    Any replies would be most appreciated at this time.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        vickykay
        Participant

I had three weeks of high dose interferon, had to stop because of vomiting, high fever 104, headaches, chills, heart rate over 120. Oncologist said it was to much and we could try the shots three times aweek for 11 months. First injection, I started vomiting up blood, so we stopped everything. But with this said, some people have very few side effects to this drug. I am 52 years old and I have never been able to take alot of medication. Oncologist said there are just some people that can not take interferon, but there are alot that can. I hope you can try taking  interferon, you may be one of those people that has no side effect at all. I have found that this is the only drug we have for stage 3 melanoma.  My prayers are with you in this battle.

Vickykay Stage 3b

vickykay
          Participant

I had three weeks of high dose interferon, had to stop because of vomiting, high fever 104, headaches, chills, heart rate over 120. Oncologist said it was to much and we could try the shots three times aweek for 11 months. First injection, I started vomiting up blood, so we stopped everything. But with this said, some people have very few side effects to this drug. I am 52 years old and I have never been able to take alot of medication. Oncologist said there are just some people that can not take interferon, but there are alot that can. I hope you can try taking  interferon, you may be one of those people that has no side effect at all. I have found that this is the only drug we have for stage 3 melanoma.  My prayers are with you in this battle.

Vickykay Stage 3b

vickykay
            Participant

Vickykay Stage 3b

Janner
              Participant

Do a search for "Interferon" on this site.  You'll find tons of people who have done it, doing it, and/or have recommendations etc.  There is lots of info if you just do a little searching.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Do a search for "Interferon" on this site.  You'll find tons of people who have done it, doing it, and/or have recommendations etc.  There is lots of info if you just do a little searching.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Donna M.
                    Participant

Hi there,

I am currently on Interferon.  I began the high dose infusions at the end of August and finished in the beginning of October.  I had to take a couple breaks because of low white counts or elevated liver enzymes.  But once I got through that I've had very little trouble other than a nagging headache, some hair breakage, and a crummy appetite.  I had 2 or 3 rough nights of high fever and rigors, but those were the very first night, and then the first dose after a break.  

So, for me (so far) Interferon has been pretty tolerable.  I chose to do it because I wanted to give myself every opportunity to avoid or delay recurrence, and didn't want to have to ask "what if."

Good luck to you!

Donna M.
                      Participant

Hi there,

I am currently on Interferon.  I began the high dose infusions at the end of August and finished in the beginning of October.  I had to take a couple breaks because of low white counts or elevated liver enzymes.  But once I got through that I've had very little trouble other than a nagging headache, some hair breakage, and a crummy appetite.  I had 2 or 3 rough nights of high fever and rigors, but those were the very first night, and then the first dose after a break.  

So, for me (so far) Interferon has been pretty tolerable.  I chose to do it because I wanted to give myself every opportunity to avoid or delay recurrence, and didn't want to have to ask "what if."

Good luck to you!

Donna M.
                        Participant

Hi there,

Good luck to you!

piii
                          Participant

Hi,

I started interferon on Monday. First night fever, chills, head ache. The nurse told me to alternate from Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours. It worked. Tuesday was much better and Wednesday and today I had no fever or chills just a minor head ache. I don’t know if it was adding Motrin or my body adjusting but for me, other than Monday it was not as bad I as thought it was going to be. I can update you next week if you would like to let you know how week 2 goes.

Peter

piii
                            Participant

Hi,

I started interferon on Monday. First night fever, chills, head ache. The nurse told me to alternate from Motrin and Tylenol every 4 hours. It worked. Tuesday was much better and Wednesday and today I had no fever or chills just a minor head ache. I don’t know if it was adding Motrin or my body adjusting but for me, other than Monday it was not as bad I as thought it was going to be. I can update you next week if you would like to let you know how week 2 goes.

Peter

piii
                              Participant

Hi,

Peter

Lauri England
                                Participant

I did 10 1/2 months of interferon.  I actually had to stop due to depression and fatigue but up to that point it was duable.  I have several posts about my experiences.  I stopped interferon mid august 2011 and about a month later I felt totally better, almost as if I never had interferon at all.  It is a hard treatment but to me it was worth it for the delay in recurrance.  I am ned so far as of scans in Oct 2011.  They are watching a spot on my lung and liver abnormalties but no confirmed melanoma.  I rescan in January 2012.  There are a lot of success stories from people on here that did interferon.  Good luck with your choice.  It is defenantly a personal choice and everyone has different experiences.

Lauri England
                                  Participant

I did 10 1/2 months of interferon.  I actually had to stop due to depression and fatigue but up to that point it was duable.  I have several posts about my experiences.  I stopped interferon mid august 2011 and about a month later I felt totally better, almost as if I never had interferon at all.  It is a hard treatment but to me it was worth it for the delay in recurrance.  I am ned so far as of scans in Oct 2011.  They are watching a spot on my lung and liver abnormalties but no confirmed melanoma.  I rescan in January 2012.  There are a lot of success stories from people on here that did interferon.  Good luck with your choice.  It is defenantly a personal choice and everyone has different experiences.

Lauri England
                                    Participant

fdess056
                                      Participant

I did Interfron for about 7 months.  The 1st few days were hard….fever, rigors, etc.  I suffered fatigue throughout the treatment but since i work from home i was able to continue.  I also drove myself 30 miles each way every day for the initial 20 high dose treatments.  Anxiety and some central nervous system  problems (forgetfulness, slow thought processes) finally caused the Dr to stop treatment.  A few weeks after stopping  was feeling good.

Best of luck to you

Franks

fdess056
                                        Participant

I did Interfron for about 7 months.  The 1st few days were hard….fever, rigors, etc.  I suffered fatigue throughout the treatment but since i work from home i was able to continue.  I also drove myself 30 miles each way every day for the initial 20 high dose treatments.  Anxiety and some central nervous system  problems (forgetfulness, slow thought processes) finally caused the Dr to stop treatment.  A few weeks after stopping  was feeling good.

Best of luck to you

Franks

fdess056
                                          Participant

Best of luck to you

Franks

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics