The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

insurance won’t cover clinical trial

Forums General Melanoma Community insurance won’t cover clinical trial

Participant

Hi,

I'm a stage IV patient who finished Ipi this summer (after having failed IL2) and it doesn't look like it's going to do enough for me so my doctors want me to try to enrol in a PD-1 trial. I had one lined up and was ready to sign the consent/start the prescreening when we found out our insurance won't cover anything if I'm in a clinical trial. We've been scrambling the last couple of days trying to figure out what to do. Our (or I should say my husband's as I have not been able to work for a couple of years due to treatment) income is too high to qualify for any of the financial assistance programs that seem to be available, but the financial office where the trial is being conducted said that the out of pocket cost to us for the first 4 cycles (about 8 weeks) would be upwards of $25,000. That's approaching half of my husband's yearly salary and is an impossibility.

In my research I found that with the ACA going into effect insurance plans are required to cover patients enrolled in trials beginning Jan 1, 2014, but when I looked further I found that our plan (through his employer) is one that will be grandfathered in and does not have to comply with that part of the law, so even if I delay (and pray) until Jan 1 I would not be covered. We have a wonderful cancer resouce center near us and I spent half the day yesterday with them helping me make phone calls to the state offices who regulate insurance only to find out that my husband's employer has a private contract (I'm not that clear on exactly how this works) so that the state has no jurisdiction over that contract and can't help me. Their suggestion was to enroll, start accruing charges, then when they're denied try to appeal, but even they admitted that wasn't likely to suceed on any significant level, which means we still can't afford a trial.

Now we're looking into dropping me from his isurance and possibly trying to buy a separate private plan for me, maybe through the state exchange for the ACA but are having trouble figuring out what the coverage for trials would be, if it's enough, and even if the hospitals I would need to go to would accept that insurance if we bought it. Add to that that it's likely going to be another $600-$700 a month I'm not sure we can afford that either. Again we (or he) makes just enough for us not to qualify for any of the discounts or subsidies offered by the ACA and there's even a chance that we won't be allowed to purchase one of those plans because I can be covered through my husband's insurance. I have a call in to a navigator to try and help sort this out, but I was also hoping that someone here might have some other ideas because we're running out of both ideas and time. 

Anything that could help would be very much appreciated. We're in NY state, by the way if that helps.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ali
        Participant

I would be happy to explain the arguments I used with my insurnace company to get the PD-1 trial approved.  It went through 3 appeals I believe.  I don't have time to type it all out, but you are welcome to contact me (email though this site and I will give you my phone number) and I can fill you in.  I am so sorry you have to deal with this.  I cried every time I talked to someone from the insurance company-it was so frustrating!!!  Hang in there, you can fight this thing.

Ali

Ali
          Participant

I would be happy to explain the arguments I used with my insurnace company to get the PD-1 trial approved.  It went through 3 appeals I believe.  I don't have time to type it all out, but you are welcome to contact me (email though this site and I will give you my phone number) and I can fill you in.  I am so sorry you have to deal with this.  I cried every time I talked to someone from the insurance company-it was so frustrating!!!  Hang in there, you can fight this thing.

Ali

Ali
            Participant

Ali

ecc26
              Participant

Thank you Ali,

I will try to see if I can e-mail you through this site to get more info. Are you in NY also? 

lou2
                  Participant

Please let us know what happens with this.

lou2
                    Participant

lou2
                      Participant

ecc26
                      Participant

Thank you Ali,

I will try to see if I can e-mail you through this site to get more info. Are you in NY also? 

ecc26
                        Participant

Thank you Ali,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics