The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Infusion reaction

Forums General Melanoma Community Infusion reaction

Participant

Getting my opdivo half of my treatments today and got warm sensation accompanied by rash during treatment.  Got a bunch of benedryl, Pepcid and something else.  No we are pushing the meds at 1/2 the rate 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hi Aaron,

Actually, I think a bit of a rash, and/or allergic type reaction is a good thing.  As the meds ramp up your immune system your body may become over-sensitive to any number of things.  It points to an immune response and while not a guarantee of the response we all hope for, its a good sign and a very manageable side-effect.  Keep us posted.

Gary

Polymath
          Participant

Hi Aaron,

Actually, I think a bit of a rash, and/or allergic type reaction is a good thing.  As the meds ramp up your immune system your body may become over-sensitive to any number of things.  It points to an immune response and while not a guarantee of the response we all hope for, its a good sign and a very manageable side-effect.  Keep us posted.

Gary

Polymath
            Participant

Hi Aaron,

Gary

jade1111
              Participant

Sorry about the rash!! My mom just had her first infusion and its 10 days later and got a very bad rash all over. She is hesistant (I know ironic) about taing claritin for it. Did Benedryl help you? I am not sure what the mechanism is for it. She has never taken anitihistamine and is nervous..

Wishing you all the best with infusions!

jade1111
                Participant

Sorry about the rash!! My mom just had her first infusion and its 10 days later and got a very bad rash all over. She is hesistant (I know ironic) about taing claritin for it. Did Benedryl help you? I am not sure what the mechanism is for it. She has never taken anitihistamine and is nervous..

jade1111
                  Participant

KAF
                    Participant

HI Aaron

Its Karen again.  Hard to believe we were just messaging 48hrs ago that we weren't having symtoms and were worried about that.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you get through the Yervoy part first an then got the reaction half way through Opdivo or did you not to the Yervoy yet?  I got my rash after 7 days after my first treatment.  Benadryl didn't work but I used Sarna lotion  and although I smelled like Vicks vapo rub it really took the itch away.  My friend who's a pediatrician told me to ask for Atarax (like a prescrption strength benadryl) and the rash went away by the next day.  I then got a rash a week later, took the atarax that evening and it was gone by morning.  Haven't had it since.  

Just becuase you had that reaction this time doesn't mean you'll have it every time.  These drugs seem so random when it comes to side affects.  Take it slow on the intake this time and hopefully it won't happen next time.  Just one more to go!!!  Hang in there.

Karen 

Aaron
                        Participant

Hot flashes started at the end of opdivo but went away.  Halfway through yervoy they returned with a vengeance. Felt like getting the dye during a scan (very warm). Then the rash came on. They shut me down and gave me the Benadryl etc and took my vitals for about an hour until everything went away. Then resumed at a slower infusion rate. Made for a long day. Now we have to wait and see what happens next time but I think I am going to bet some Benadryl before I go home. 

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Next time ask for benedryl before your infusion starts. I am sure they will already want to do that based on today, but if they don't mention it, I would ask. A lot of people take it before infusions to prevent these kind of reactions.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Next time ask for benedryl before your infusion starts. I am sure they will already want to do that based on today, but if they don't mention it, I would ask. A lot of people take it before infusions to prevent these kind of reactions.

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Aaron
                                Participant

Hot flashes started at the end of opdivo but went away.  Halfway through yervoy they returned with a vengeance. Felt like getting the dye during a scan (very warm). Then the rash came on. They shut me down and gave me the Benadryl etc and took my vitals for about an hour until everything went away. Then resumed at a slower infusion rate. Made for a long day. Now we have to wait and see what happens next time but I think I am going to bet some Benadryl before I go home. 

Aaron
                                  Participant

KAF
                                  Participant

HI Aaron

Its Karen again.  Hard to believe we were just messaging 48hrs ago that we weren't having symtoms and were worried about that.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Did you get through the Yervoy part first an then got the reaction half way through Opdivo or did you not to the Yervoy yet?  I got my rash after 7 days after my first treatment.  Benadryl didn't work but I used Sarna lotion  and although I smelled like Vicks vapo rub it really took the itch away.  My friend who's a pediatrician told me to ask for Atarax (like a prescrption strength benadryl) and the rash went away by the next day.  I then got a rash a week later, took the atarax that evening and it was gone by morning.  Haven't had it since.  

Just becuase you had that reaction this time doesn't mean you'll have it every time.  These drugs seem so random when it comes to side affects.  Take it slow on the intake this time and hopefully it won't happen next time.  Just one more to go!!!  Hang in there.

Karen 

KAF
                                    Participant

HI Aaron

Karen 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics