The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Info on Scans- Thank you

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Info on Scans- Thank you

Participant
      Thank you very much Tex, Ed, Mark, Steven, Bill and Daughter of Cancer Patient for furnishing me with your first-hand experience and knowledge of scans after a melanoma diagnosis. A new issue crept up today though. After spending several hours in hospital, we managed to see our oncologist who has now set up an appointment with a dermatologist to see my husband’s rash tomorrow. Based on this dermatologist’s assessment of the rash, my husband’s biweekly Nivo treatment will be continued or postponed. I don’t know what I should be asking or researching now. The melanoma is moving too fast for me once again. Because of this bad rash (possibly grade 3 Adverse Event)should we still push for a CT scan? Could a CT scan aggravate a bad skin rash? I would think not, but I know I am not thinking right at the moment. A friend of mine passed away this last Saturday from brain mets; another friend earlier on in the month. The funeral is tomorrow; same time as the dermatologist’s appointment. Maybe I should be pushing for an MRI of my husband’s brain instead. I am rambling on. I’m sorry. I would like to again sincerely thank you for your support today; despite my lack of good news, I do not feel as if I am alone. Thank you. Thank you very much.
      Affected
    Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mark_DC
        Participant
          Dear Affected,

I just saw your post and since i dont think many will respond right away because of the holiday, and because you seem concerned, i thought i should try to write something and try my best to help. Although I dont consider myself an expert – I would defer to the opinions of people like Ed and Bubbles who have great advice and I am grateful to them for the time they spend for us.

I know you have had some bad news, but I would encourage you to take it slow and not rush. And maybe things are not so bad after all.

First, I would encourage you to fill in your profile with the basic details chronologically of your husband’s case. That way the board experts can give you the best advice / explanations (of course you should follow your doctor’s advice)

Second, my understanding is that all melanoma has been removed, right? So we are talking about adjuvant therapy. I would still be thinking three monthly scans but as Ed’s post made clear, maybe you could stretch it a little.

Third and most important, the focus now has to be on the rash. Most of us on immunotherapy have light rashes and this is not really a problem. But your other post suggests its a more serious rash (sorry). Its a mixed blessing. For some, the side effects are a good sign that the medicine is working. Its doing something to the skin, which is a good sign. Many of us “wish” for vitiligo as this seems to be correlated with response. Still you have to cure that now, particularly if its heading for a grade 3 AE. So its right to focus on that now. It may mean you need to pause or stop treatment. BUt if you read bubbles blog, that can be OK, you can still have a complete response in this case. And if your husband does not have any tumour then the doctors probably would want to stop treatment. But this need not be worrying, the meds may have worked. I would want to avoid a serious AE both because side effects are bad and for the reason you mention, so that you can go into more trials in the future. But your focus now should be on addressing the AE and containing it. I have had a close to grade 3 AE and had to be taken off treatment. In the US i was allowed back on after a few months and the AE never recurred. No idea why not.

Fourth on scans, i dont think there is any link between these and rash or anything. Deal with the AE / rash first and then talk about scans with the docs, who seem to be treating your husband well.

Hope this advice helps. If your husband does not have active melanoma then once he gets over the AE then all might be OK.
          I know you are worried but things could be OK. But please do fill out your profile so that others (and esp the experts) will find your case easier to understand and they can give you better advice than I can.

Good luck with the appointments and dealing with the rash
          Mark

Affected
            Participant
              Hi Mark,
              Thank you very much for your reply. Your advice has helped me tremendously. My husband’s rash has been diagnosed as pityriasis rosea and according to the dermatologist, it is not related to the Nivo. Therefore he was able to get his 6th infusion. He also got some lotion whose name I will jot down in the profile so that others may refer to it if need be. Thank you for being there for us; we feel good about 2020. We made it through our first year of melanoma with this forum’s help, and somehow I feel the goodness and kindness emanating from this support group is better than any immuno out there. I sincerely wish you all the best and will pray for your victory against melanoma. Sincerely, Affected
        Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics