The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Improved Survival in Cancer Patients With High Vitamin D Levels

Forums Melanoma & Skin of Color Improved Survival in Cancer Patients With High Vitamin D Levels

Participant

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824462

Improved Survival in Cancer Patients With High Vitamin D Levels

Pam HarrisonMay 01, 2014

Researchers have again found that higher levels of circulating vitamin D on diagnosis of cancer are associated with significantly better survival and remission rates. The new findings come from a comprehensive meta-analysis involving more than 17,000 cancer patients, published online in the April 29 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

Mian Li, PhD, graduate student, University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai, China, and multicenter colleagues found that overall survival for colorectal and breast cancer patients in the highest quartile of circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D [25(OH)D] levels was significantly better than it was for those in the lowest quartile of 25(OH)D levels.

Overall survival was also significantly better for lymphoma patients in the highest 25(OH)D quartile compared with those in the lowest quartile.

Higher circulating levels of vitamin D were also significantly associated with lower cancer-specific mortality rates among patients with both colorectal cancer and lymphoma, and disease-free survival rates were also significantly improved for patients with breast cancer and those with lymphoma.

“This study could be considered as the most confirmatory evidence to date supporting an association between circulating 25(OH)D levels and cancer outcomes,” senior author Hui Wang, MD, PhD, professor at the Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, told Medscape Medical News.

“Considering that vitamin D deficiency is widespread around the world, our suggestion is to ensure everyone has sufficient levels of this important nutrient — that is, circulating 25(OH)D levels — greater than 75 nmol/L.”

Robust Evidence

For the meta-analysis, the authors included 25 studies involving a total of 17,732 patients with cancer.

The evidence supporting a protective effect from high circulating 25(OH)D levels on diagnosis was most robust for colorectal cancer, breast cancer, and lymphoma.

Table. Cancer Outcomes Between Those in the Highest vs the Lowest 25(OH)D Quintiles

Overall Survival [Highest vs Lowest 25(OH)D Quintiles] Cancer-Specific Mortality [Highest vs Lowest 25(OH)D Quintiles] Disease-Free Survival [Highest vs Lowest 25(OH)D Quintiles]
      Colorectal cancer 45% reduction (HR = .55; P = .02) 35% reduction (HR = .65; P = .005)  
      Breast cancer 37% reduction (HR = .63; P < .001) 35% reduction (HR = .65; P = .04) 58% improvement (HR = .42; P < .001)
      Lymphoma 52% reduction (HR = .48; P < .001) 50% reduction (HR = .50; P < .001)  

HR, hazard ratio

Limited — but favorable — evidence for a protective effect from high circulating 25(OH)D levels on diagnosis was also observed for patients with lung cancer, gastric cancer, prostate cancer, leukemia, melanoma, and Merkel cell carcinoma.

Indeed, when investigators compared 25(OH)D levels in the range of 40 to 70 nmol/L to levels <19 nmol/L, they found that a 10-nmol/L increase in circulating vitamin D levels upon cancer diagnosis was associated with a 4% reduction in all-cause mortality among all cancer patients in whom a dose-response relationship was assessed.

Chemopreventive Agent

As Dr. Wang told Medscape Medical News, researchers tend to consider vitamin D as a cancer chemopreventive agent.

“A lot of laboratory studies have suggested that vitamin D might inhibit the progression of cancers by acting on tumor cells and modulating the tumor microenvironment,” he explained.

In addition, the biological effects of vitamin D on both bone health and the immune system may help cancer patients better weather difficult treatment regimens and help alleviate adverse reactions.

More Aggressive Prostate Cancer

In a separate study published in Clinical Cancer Research, vitamin D deficiency was associated with more aggressive prostate cancer in both European American and African American men. These men were undergoing their first biopsy because of an abnormal prostate-specific antigen (PSA) or digital rectal examination (DRE) test.

Results showed that a 25(OH)D level of <12 ng/ml was positively associated with a higher Gleason grade (≥ 4 + 4) and a higher clinical stage (tumor stage ≥ cT2b) in both groups of men but that the association between more aggressive prostate cancer and vitamin D deficiency was stronger among African Americans.

This study also found an association between lower 25(OH)D levels and men at high and very high risk for prostate cancer according to National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) criteria.

“In our study, vitamin D deficiency seemed to be a predictor of aggressive forms of prostate cancer diagnosis in European American and African American men,” lead author Adam B. Murphy, MD, assistant professor in the Department of Urology at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, commented in a statement.

“The stronger associations in African American men imply that vitamin D deficiency is a bigger contributor to prostate cancer in African American men compared with European American men,” Dr. Murphy added. “Vitamin D supplementation may be a relevant strategy for preventing prostate cancer incidence and/or tumor progression in prostate cancer patients,” he suggested.

The study by Dr. Li and colleagues was supported by a number of grants, including a grant from the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, the National Nature Science Foundation, and the Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality. The study by Dr. Murphy and colleagues was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the US Department of Defense. The authors of both studies have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Clin Endocrinol Metab. Published online April 29, 2014. Abstract

Clin Cancer Res. 2014;20:2289-2299.

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

This is so important!  There are many reasons the bady needs Vit. D.  So when you have your annual pyhsical make sure and ask for your Vit. D levels to be checked, it's not a normal one they do.  Since we tend to avoid the sun, the primary source of Vit.D, we really need to be on top of this for many reasons.

washoegal
          Participant

This is so important!  There are many reasons the bady needs Vit. D.  So when you have your annual pyhsical make sure and ask for your Vit. D levels to be checked, it's not a normal one they do.  Since we tend to avoid the sun, the primary source of Vit.D, we really need to be on top of this for many reasons.

washoegal
            Participant

JC
              Participant

How much supplement should be taken?  1000 units a day?  2000?  More?

JC
                Participant

JC
                  Participant

DZnDef
                    Participant

My naturopath tested my vitamin D3 levels and put me on 2000 iu per day before even getting the results.  She said the fact that I even have this type of cancer means its very likely my D3 levels are low.  Sure enough, my results came back very low (i took the test before I started supplementing).  Not sure if it will help but I'll take any edge I can get over this beast.

DZnDef
                      Participant

My naturopath tested my vitamin D3 levels and put me on 2000 iu per day before even getting the results.  She said the fact that I even have this type of cancer means its very likely my D3 levels are low.  Sure enough, my results came back very low (i took the test before I started supplementing).  Not sure if it will help but I'll take any edge I can get over this beast.

DZnDef
                        Participant

Linny
                          Participant

When my vitamin D levels were checked they were low. No surprise there. I started taking between 4000-6000 IU's daily using a liquid supplement for about 4 months and it had no effect. I switched to gels at 10,000 IU's/day and the results were dramatically better.

It's an easy test. Your doctor just needs to write up an order for it and you just go get blood drawn.

Sunshine actually is your best source of vitamin D, but those of us with melanoma need to not just be careful with that, but EXTRA careful.

Gene_S
                              Participant

“Melanoma (skin cancer) patients tend to avoid the sun as sunburn is known to increase the risk of melanoma. We use sunshine to make vitamin D in the skin, so melanoma patients’ levels of vitamin D may be especially low,” said Prof. Julia Newton Bishop of the Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, and lead author of a recent study which found that higher levels of vitamin D were linked with better skin cancer survival odds.

Gene_S
                                Participant

“Melanoma (skin cancer) patients tend to avoid the sun as sunburn is known to increase the risk of melanoma. We use sunshine to make vitamin D in the skin, so melanoma patients’ levels of vitamin D may be especially low,” said Prof. Julia Newton Bishop of the Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, and lead author of a recent study which found that higher levels of vitamin D were linked with better skin cancer survival odds.

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Linny
                                  Participant

When my vitamin D levels were checked they were low. No surprise there. I started taking between 4000-6000 IU's daily using a liquid supplement for about 4 months and it had no effect. I switched to gels at 10,000 IU's/day and the results were dramatically better.

It's an easy test. Your doctor just needs to write up an order for it and you just go get blood drawn.

Sunshine actually is your best source of vitamin D, but those of us with melanoma need to not just be careful with that, but EXTRA careful.

Linny
                                    Participant

Elizabeth Brown
                                      Participant
                                        No matter how good sunlight is, intense sunlight is harmful to health. Excessive exposure to the sun causes wrinkles on the skin. There is a risk of skin cancer.
                                    Viewing 12 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics