The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Impact on NIH due to Gov shutdown??

Forums General Melanoma Community Impact on NIH due to Gov shutdown??

Participant

Without the political statements or opinions of Democrats vs Republicans, etc – can someone please provide an overview on what is happening at NIH specifically due to the shutdown??

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

Best I can find out is that it does not affect exisiting patients..or existing trials. But no new trials ans no new admittance into trials. Here is a quote from an article: 

a memo from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that lays out a contingency staffing plan in the event "annual appropriations" are not enacted, states that while the NIH will not accept new patients or initiate new clinical protocols, "the continued provision of care to existing patients (both inpatients and outpatients) means the hospital would be operating at roughly 90% of normal patient load during the initial weeks of a funding hiatus."

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

Best I can find out is that it does not affect exisiting patients..or existing trials. But no new trials ans no new admittance into trials. Here is a quote from an article: 

a memo from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that lays out a contingency staffing plan in the event "annual appropriations" are not enacted, states that while the NIH will not accept new patients or initiate new clinical protocols, "the continued provision of care to existing patients (both inpatients and outpatients) means the hospital would be operating at roughly 90% of normal patient load during the initial weeks of a funding hiatus."

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Tina

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

This is a great topic for the Off-topic Board.  We  used to have many discussions on things like this over there.  Let's move this over and discuss (or CUSS?) away.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

This is a great topic for the Off-topic Board.  We  used to have many discussions on things like this over there.  Let's move this over and discuss (or CUSS?) away.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

Cindy VT
                    Participant

I find this very distribing.  I know everyone had their opinion.  I try to have mine on facts.  I write my senators and congressman.  I know many may feel its no use, but I still think they hear our voices. 

I wish everyone who had clinical trials and help from NIH that this will be a short shutdown.

Thoughts are with you!

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                      Participant

I find this very distribing.  I know everyone had their opinion.  I try to have mine on facts.  I write my senators and congressman.  I know many may feel its no use, but I still think they hear our voices. 

I wish everyone who had clinical trials and help from NIH that this will be a short shutdown.

Thoughts are with you!

Cindy VT

Cindy VT
                        Participant

Thoughts are with you!

Cindy VT

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics