The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

impact of Chlor in the swimming pool

Forums General Melanoma Community impact of Chlor in the swimming pool

Participant

Dear all,

I have passed my 10th months after CLND on my right leg and had radiation and 4 doses of Yervoy. Since I am on wait and watch with regular scans. Last scan was clear as well:)

I have still have lymphedema on my right leg (about 3cm bigger on diameter). My doctor suggest me to swim to decrease of level of lymphedema.

On the other hand he suggest me not to swim in the pool that clean up with Chlor and recommend me to look for pool clean up with Ozone.

However in Turkey it is difficult to find the pool clean up with Ozone.

Do you have any suggestion or impact to use about the swimming pool clean up with Chlor? is it risky? what do you think.

thanks.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Threefitty
        Participant

I was interested and googled this question a bit. I didn't find anything negative about chlorine as to lymphodema, except that it can be an irritant and will definitely dry out your skin if you swim alot. Which might be enough for a doctor to suggest ozone. Especially if you are a more fragile patient to start with. I imagine anything that could irritate and then break skin is potentially bad. 

Some people will do anything to the point of bleeding. IMO lymphodema is just a weird thing. It can be disasterous, irreversable and completely unnecessary. So exactly the right time to be overcautious.

But does that mean I'll never carry a 2.5 kilo weight with that arm? Never use sharp tools? Not swim in my city's new aquatic center that is chlorinated, and also avoid the ocean which has critters and more? Etc. 

There seems to be a consensus that a proper ozone pool is a better choice, but does that mean don't swim in a chlorine pool? I hope not, I don't think they have taken hold much in the US/Florida.

An engineering spec I read suggests that you still use chlorine in an ozone pool system, just way less. So I guess I'd say watch for irritation and don't overdo, as usual.

obtu.bt
            Participant
              What a perfect research and answer, thank you very much. My doctor told me that for a melanoma patient or for every body chlorine is dangerous once your body face with the sun.
        Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics