The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Immunotherapy side effects related to food

Forums General Melanoma Community Immunotherapy side effects related to food

Participant

Good Morning,

I started immunotherapy back in December and the first few times I ate my favorite food(sushi) i ended up vomiting shortly after.  I just chalked that up to the drugs and not the sushi as I had thrown up other times as well.  I had been feeling relatively well, as it related to naseau, for a few months and 2 weeks ago tried eating sushi again. Within 2 hours I was hugging the toilet and the experience was different and more painful then before.  I still have not recovered fully – the naseau has remained and my appetite has suffered.

Has anyone else found that once enjoyable foods now have negative side effects? have you found any solutions? 

Thanks everyone,

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant
          Sushi is one of my favorites too but haven’t had any issues with eating it or anything else I like. The only time I started having issues with food is when I started getting bad acid reflux. Once I got on good meds for it I was back to eating whatever I want. If I forget to take it in the morning then by the evening I feel like vomiting and just feel like total crap. Haven’t heard of others having issues with certain foods on treatment, not sure what would cause sushi in particular to make you sick. Wish I had some better advice for you.
            Nicklindner
            Participant

Thanks for letting me know!  Wish I knew too. 

I haven't found any food restrictions with immunotherapy.  The only time I had nausea/vomitting was when my liver started acting up.  One hour post IV steroids and I was eating a turkey sandwich.  My oncologist has said their are no food restrictions with this treatment although they wanted me to increase my sodium and potassium intake.  I would consider talking with your oncologist about the nausea and loss of appetite.  It could be another side effect that has nothing to do with the sushi.  I hope you feel better soon.

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics